Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gyms in Dublin

Options
  • 05-11-2013 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all

Sorry if this has been covered before, couldn't find any recent threads about it. I'm looking for recommendations for gyms in Dublin. I'm with Ben Dunne on Jervis Street at the moment but my membership is nearly up. It's cheap but it's packed, even at off-peak times, and often you can't get near a squat rack or a bench. It's also full of guys looking at their 6 packs in the mirror while doing 10kg dumbbell curls. I've been to yourfitness in Harold's Cross a few times, seems pretty good and has a slight crossfit vibe but I live and work on the northside so was wondering if anyone knew of a good place that was more central? Looking for somewhere relatively cheap, with proper free weights, squat racks, pull up & dip stations etc. that isn't too crowded in the early morning.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

New gym opening in Macken st i am looking into, cheap enough and looks massive

http://www.flyefit.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jaytuom

Wow, the one in Macken Street looks amazing! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Boss_eye

you want 'Proper Freeweights'
    Hercules Club
    - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hercules-Club/184925058198259

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

jaytuom wrote: »
    Hi all

Sorry if this has been covered before, couldn't find any recent threads about it. I'm looking for recommendations for gyms in Dublin. I'm with Ben Dunne on Jervis Street at the moment but my membership is nearly up. It's cheap but it's packed, even at off-peak times, and often you can't get near a squat rack or a bench. It's also full of guys looking at their 6 packs in the mirror while doing 10kg dumbbell curls. I've been to yourfitness in Harold's Cross a few times, seems pretty good and has a slight crossfit vibe but I live and work on the northside so was wondering if anyone knew of a good place that was more central? Looking for somewhere relatively cheap, with proper free weights, squat racks, pull up & dip stations etc. that isn't too crowded in the early morning.

Thanks

I love crunch on aston quay, always empty in the morning and I think it has most of those things ... I don't know about cheap though. Worth a look

I think a lot of people here are in Raw too? I think that's central enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Huckster

jaytuom wrote: »
    It's also full of guys looking at their 6 packs in the mirror while doing 10kg dumbbell curls.

:D I literally laughed out loud- terribly true... I've also noticed a lot of gym goers just sitting on the machines texting or staring into space...

That said, I'll be sticking with Jervis simply because of the handy location and cheap prices. I head in at about 7.30am and never had problems getting a machine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭kult

Try muscle factory in Baldoyle, very strict rules gym, new equipment, cheap, long opening hours etc they are on facebook and twitter. They imposed limitation of member so it wont be overcrowded like in other gyms where they take on 1000 people for few benches etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dpos

Anyone a member of YourFitness?
    whats is like? does it rival RAW? boasts a lot of square feet on website, is it busy in morning?
    Plenty of benches?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

dpos wrote: »
    whats is like? does it rival RAW? boasts a lot of square feet on website, is it busy in morning?
    Plenty of benches?

I have trained there a fair few times, plenty of benches, plenty of space. Not sure about how busy it is in mornings. You can payg, so maybe do that to see if it suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rower2

dpos wrote: »
    Plenty of benches?

go to their website, theres a free one day trial. great floor space for weights.

ive been to a few gyms and find it really good, never too busy

Please post any 2014 details of gyms in Dublin if you find them

• Advertisement

Rower2 wrote: »
    go to their website, theres a free one day trial. great floor space for weights.

ive been to a few gyms and find it really good, never too busy

yeah got that going to go on Saturday morning.
    do you go weekday mornings by any chance? is it dead quiet?

I see they have an early bird membership for 120e, thats a steal!
    can't go in evenings but i never do anyway

Advertisement