Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing with Google Now

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Dudda wrote: »
    I've my Nexus 7 for a few months and find Google Now getting better. I travel to Glasgow every few weeks and it works much better there.
    As soon as I get off the plane it tells me the weather, currency rate and that the next bus to the city center (the 505 which I always get) leaves in 8 minutes as well as the two after that. When the bus starts it tells me duration to destination etc. It suggests restaurants, night life, shows etc and shows distance to and from hotel.

At home it's not near as good just showing me distance to work/home, weather and Man Utd (fixtures, live scores and results). I must have once searched Fulham FC as it started showing their info too until I removed them manually. I added Apple, Google, Facebook in my stock portfolio on Google Finance and it shows me the price if they rise or drop more than 1% in a day. Probably see that card every 10 days on average.

I really wish it would use the info like birthdays from the contacts app to alert me. Currently it only uses the info from Google+ which none of my family or friends use.

Stupid question, but does it update without WiFi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Stupid question, but does it update without WiFi?

Yes if you have 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yes if you have 3G.

Ah ok, was just when Glasgow was mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Dony wrote: »
    I went to do an update for this recently and one of the permissions it was requesting was to read my sms.
    What's all that about?
    Needless to say I didn't update.
    Why? You realise the same company make the messaging app and OS which can read all your SMS anyway. If they want to get at them, you not installing their search app isn't going to make much difference

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nedd

after reading this thread I upgraded my HTC One X to a 4.2 Rom just to try this out again. It has got much better since the last time I used it.

It now tells me every so often that I am close to some sites where Photos have been taken, lets me see some photos people have taken there and tells me how to get there. Handy.

I only updated yesterday so it will take a while to get some more cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Ah ok, was just when Glasgow was mentioned
    I don't have the 3G version but the airports, busses, hotels etc all have free WiFi and it works surprisingly well. I do sometimes tether it to my phone but not while traveling due to the cost of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Is it still a big drain on the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I still get a solid day out of me phone, and have a good bit to spare when using Google Now.

But sure I charge me phone every night anyway, so it makes no difference if I have 37% at the end of the day, or 7%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

To be honest, I think people are just looking for excuses to use Google now! Nothing wrong with that though.

I mean, I've never been more than 5 minutes out in getting from A to B. You know yourself what traffic's going to be like and when.

I can just as easily search for a cinema time without having it set up on Google now.

I've found it utterly useless.

I can see the benefits of it while abroad and I'll certainly give it a go then. Having said that, I enjoy doing the research myself of where to eat etc..

Plus, it just seems you're giving an awful lot about yourself away and I'm just not that comfortable with it for some reason (no I don't use Facebook either).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

how do you get the cards to pop up?

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »

If you just have the cards set to 'on' then it will get to know you're activity for that particular card, eg. football scores - if you have sports set to 'on' and you go and look for Man Utd results, it will be there. Or you can just add specific teams manually.

Doesn't show Europa league or international football though.

HTML5! wrote: »
    To be honest, I think people are just looking for excuses to use Google now! Nothing wrong with that though.

I mean, I've never been more than 5 minutes out in getting from A to B. You know yourself what traffic's going to be like and when.

I can just as easily search for a cinema time without having it set up on Google now.

I can see the benefits of it while abroad and I'll certainly give it a go then. Having said that, I enjoy doing the research myself of where to eat etc..

Plus, it just seems you're giving an awful lot about yourself away and I'm just not that comfortable with it for some reason (no I don't use Facebook either).

It's all part of the whole package of future services Google are trying to offer. Google plus is their social network. Check out Google Glass in this vid:

emo72 wrote: »

You need to go somewhere, not much happens when you are at home. Also, give it some time, it detects what you Google for and offers cards to suit. Leave the country and it will start offering you currency rates, places of interest and flight times

It's all part of the whole package of future services Google are trying to offer. Google plus is their social network. Check out Google Glass in this vid:

Yeah I saw that video, but...I just can't imagine ever walking around wearing those glasses.

I know it's where technology is heading and maybe someday I'll find a use for it, but...not right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

, but...I just can't imagine ever walking around wearing those glasses.

dont worry, google in the future will offer replacements for your eyeballs:pac:

you will be able to lash "google eyes" into your sockets and away you go. you know it makes sense:P

Yeah I saw that video, but...I just can't imagine ever walking around wearing those glasses.

I know it's where technology is heading and maybe someday I'll find a use for it, but...not right now.

Maybe not at first, but there will come a day when it will be essential to access to the info that's layered in augmented reality around us. This is where it's going.

Maybe not at first, but there will come a day when it will be essential to access to the info that's layered in augmented reality around us. This is where it's going.

Maybe, I just don't really like the idea of viewing the real world like that. I don't think it's essential.

Maybe, I just don't really like the idea of viewing the real world like that. I don't think it's essential.

Neither is the internet

Neither is the internet

Not really the same. I see what you're attempting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

At home I find it useful for commuting times and I noticed it has also started to add news stories this week. Where it really shines is when travelling. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83342975&postcount=42

I find it useful in how if I search for an address using Google maps it will then show a new card to that location with travel time. From the card I can quickly go to navigation to that address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Justin10

At home I find it useful for commuting times and I noticed it has also started to add news stories this week. Where it really shines is when travelling. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83342975&postcount=42

I find it useful in how if I search for an address using Google maps it will then show a new card to that location with travel time. From the card I can quickly go to navigation to that address.

Is the travel time accurate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Are you logged in on your phone already? Do you use Google search? Do you have location services switched on? If so you're already providing google with all the information that google now uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Justin10

Just looking at the search features vs Siri, Google really has got so much better from the days of "Iris" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Zascar wrote: »

What I would like it to be able to do is to take audio notes for me. I use Google Tasks within Gmail, does anyone know how I can get it to take a note and add it to my task list?

If you start a voice search with "Note to self" it will record the audio, transcribe it, and mail it to your own gmail account. So you could say "Note to self pick up milk".

You could also say "Create a calendar event pick up milk at 5pm" and it will create that event in your calendar, which in theory will pop up a reminder for you as appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i thought the same until last month. before that it was only used to notify of birthdays on google+ give weather or Liverpool scores.

It started popping up cinema times for me then which i love.

then i went to Dingle and it started popping up with loads of cool stuff in the area photo spots etc.

thought that was cool so looked at more settings and next time i left Donegal every town/city with a cinema that i was passing on the Friday that had a cinema was displayed along with directions.

Stock details (even though i don't invest) are nice too. Its something i have on my computer already so having it on the phone is really nice.

Even with sports i've started adding more teams to it from sports i wouldn't normally follow (a mix of because i can i will admit but also out of curiouity, Boston Red Sox and the Celtics for example)

the distance travelled note every month is nice but not very accurate. would like to see that implimented better

As for privacy i'd trust Google more than most others. its a lot of info yes but all can be turned off if they start being dicks

EDIT forgot about baking and cooking cards!

pancake Tuesday done a search for pancake recipies headed to the shop forgot something about them and opened google now and at the bottom was details on recently searched recipies and other ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

It's becoming more and more useful.

I use Google calendar a lot, and I include the place address. It used to give me the comute time (driving only) which wasn't ideal becuase some places I walk to or take public transport.

Its updated that now to include walking so that's handy.

I find it more of a useful addon than anything else, it gives me information that's relevant to me which I haven't already looked for.

Advertisement