Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The super duper retro gaming review thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I actually liked Halo 3. It was the lack of the Flood that I liked but I didn't like the lack of Elites. It's no surprise that the final levels with the Flood are some of the worst ever made. I found Halo 2 to be a disaster after a cracking opening. After the opening there was just too much flood and the story was terrible.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Loving all the reviews. Nice work. :)

Finally pulled my thumb out and bought Sony Vegas Suite today. Just need a capture device now and I'm good to go.

I had a look at the Hauppage PVR but I think I'm going to take advantage of USB 3.0 on my laptop and get an Intensity Shuttle. Need to see how it co-operates with retro consoles and the kit from Arcade Forge first. Research required!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Pyongyang wrote: »

Finally pulled my thumb out and bought Sony Vegas Suite today. Just need a capture device now and I'm good to go.

I had a look at the Hauppage PVR but I think I'm going to take advantage of USB 3.0 on my laptop and get an Intensity Shuttle. Need to see how it co-operates with retro consoles and the kit from Arcade Forge first. Research required!

If you're getting a Haupage head on over to the Fighting Games forum as those lads use the Haupage all the time to record tournaments and other stuff and Doctor Doom will have any info you need.

pdbhp wrote: »
    If you're getting a Haupage head on over to the Fighting Games forum as those lads use the Haupage all the time to record tournaments and other stuff and Doctor Doom will have any info you need.

Seems as though the Hauppage is the top choice, maybe because of the USB 3.0 requirement of the Intensity Shuttle?

Might ask the bods on the editing forum, though I'm keen to see how a Retro console works with these first. Anyone here using any of these devices?

• Advertisement

Nice one!
    the Hauppage's are awesome , I could just about afford one of the dirt cheap chinese easycap knockoffs which is making its way from china to me as I speak(seemingly by donkey as it takes about 20 working days ;))

Ah I was looking at the Easycap and it looks like a lot of gear for little money. I like that it has an S Video connector. Let us know how it goes with retro consoles.

Just ordered a Hauppauge HD PVR for some capture action. Reviews here I come! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0, will ya do a review of Cho Aniki for the lulz please :D

Ah I was looking at the Easycap and it looks like a lot of gear for little money. I like that it has an S Video connector. Let us know how it goes with retro consoles.
    Got this at the weekend by the way , actually works quite well for SD recordings , have it going through a vcr for RF stuff (atari VCS , C64, SMS and the like) I need to make up AV/Svideo cables for a few of the older computers though as that might help a little , but feck it I'm happy to record older computers in all their original fuzzy glory .If I wanted it pin sharp I may as well just emulate and be done with it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EnterNow wrote: »
    Retr0, will ya do a review of Cho Aniki for the lulz please :D

I will once I sort out all this registry crap for college :(

Got this at the weekend by the way , actually works quite well for SD recordings , have it going through a vcr for RF stuff (atari VCS , C64, SMS and the like) I need to make up AV/Svideo cables for a few of the older computers though as that might help a little , but feck it I'm happy to record older computers in all their original fuzzy glory .If I wanted it pin sharp I may as well just emulate and be done with it ;)

Fair play, looking forward to some samples you've made with it. :)

I ended up buying a HD-PVR which I should be receiving tomorrow or Wednesday. Looking forward to joining you in putting up some reviews. Might start off with that fruity looking athletics game. :)

Granada
    not XgranadaX
    Granada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

I see what you mean and I don't expect a whole load of people to agree with me because Halo, like a lot of popular series, divides opinion.

I think the reason it devides opinion is that a lot of people expected it to be perfect after all the hype down through the years. And the Halo games aren't perfect. Halo 1 had some **** levels, Halo 2 ended abysmally, and Halo 3 was one of the biggest letdowns for me in the history of gaming - a superb game taken by itself, but it was nearly unchanged from Halo 2. The first level was very pretty and pushed the 360 hard, but the rest of the game could nearly have been done on the Xbox 1, albeit in lower resolution, in my opinion. I spent the entire gaming waiting, ney hoping it would sparkle. It never came.

Halo 3 ODST is my favourite Halo game on the 360 as it at least offered some innovation, along with the traditional top-notch gameplay. Reach was very good too, but overall, the series does need a big dose of innovation at this stage - after the completely unnecessary remake this Christmas I am hoping the next entry in the series next year will be different - here's hoping for bigger, more open levels, more enemies on screen, some exploration and a weapons upgrade system a la Resident Evil 4 - something to make it stand out, both within the Halo context and the genre as a whole.

Having said all of that though, Halo is still a lot of fun, no matter which version you play. Its a simple game, done well.

I loved doing the endure achievement on o.d.s.t. pure tension all the way. The firefight element brought a fresh feeling to the franchise at the time.
    I thought reach was just okay, a monument to all your sins was a good challenge. Legendary difficulty forces you to make more head shots, can be slightly frustrating at times but worth the effortsmile.gif
    Don't think I could be arsed matchmaking again though. It's kinda been there done that, same sh1t type of thing. Last time I played was room on room and it was a great laugh always up for that. As far as a next installment goes I think Bungie should give it a miss.

Here, before this becomes the Halo thread again (;)) anyone fancy doing an online review?
    I'm half thinking of getting a four player game , playing it with other reviewers online via Kailera/mame or whatever . then each of the four using the footage/recording/whatever to do their own seperate vid?
    Anyone interested .Ideally you'd need to have a YT account but if not and you fancy doing reviews this might be the way to get started.

Simpsons arcade?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Granada
    not XgranadaX
    Granada

Nice review! :)

It's a really underappreciated game. Great fun. Music in it is fantastic too. That's going to be stuck in my head all day after seeing that review. Which isn't a bad thing.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Simpsons arcade?
    Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
    I was thinking of gauntlet or warlords but yeah thats a great idea!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Nice review! :)

It's a really underappreciated game. Great fun. Music in it is fantastic too. That's going to be stuck in my head all day after seeing that review. Which isn't a bad thing.

cheers!
    :)
    Yeah its well worth picking up .I didnt know there was a US version of it up until I was downloading the ro...I mean researching the video.
    heh
    I'm waiting on my Megadrive II cable from the internets (6 pin mini din plugs are pain in the arse to solder), and I think yer man has stiffed me on the megadrive 1, so despite having a real copy of it I had to emulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

cheers!
    :)
    Yeah its well worth picking up .I didnt know there was a US version of it up until I was downloading the ro...I mean researching the video.
    heh
    I'm waiting on my Megadrive II cable from the internets (6 pin mini din plugs are pain in the arse to solder), and I think yer man has stiffed me on the megadrive 1, so despite having a real copy of it I had to emulate.

I didn't know there was a US version till you mentioned that in the review. My own one is Japanese too. I'd assumed it was yet another obscure Japanese only shooter.

If they were willing to bring titles like this over to the English market, I really can't understand why they didn't with things like Gleylancer and Eliminate Down.

Anyway, I think I'll try to look into getting a US Granada (or Granada X as I also thought it was called for a very long time...weird how everyone ignored the first X?!) as my one is a pretty badly multilated cart only version.

In fact it came from an Irish seller. I wonder was it your mate? :D

• Advertisement

I'd actually be more interested in warlords and the gauntlet games :) Could you maybe do a skype group chat while we play it or something although it might be distracting.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I didn't know there was a US version till you mentioned that in the review. My own one is Japanese too. I'd assumed it was yet another obscure Japanese only shooter.

If they were willing to bring titles like this over to the English market, I really can't understand why they didn't with things like Gleylancer and Eliminate Down.

Anyway, I think I'll try to look into getting a US Granada (or Granada X as I also thought it was called for a very long time...weird how everyone ignored the first X?!) as my one is a pretty badly multilated cart only version.

In fact it came from an Irish seller. I wonder was it your mate? :D
    Might be , although of the group of friends there were two of us who ended up retro collectors so my gut feeling is the other mate picked it up.

@retro yeah skype group conversation is the way to go (that or mumble or something similar) it would be distracting but that can be part of the fun of multiplayer .I'd need to find a way to make sure it recorded though .Whether people keep the "group" audio or not for a vid is up to them though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭TheChief36

Granada is pretty cool. It's deeper than you think at first glance. All the levels are really different and well rendered. I like the level where there's a spotlight around your tank and you get a power-up that makes you look like the starship enterprise!

Granada

ford-granada-mki.jpg

Granada

granada_map.jpg

Granada

Granada-ident-from-1959-011.jpg

Granada

granada1.jpg

Did a review of Ghost Sweeper Mikami for the SNES. It's a japanese only game but a decent castlevania clone and worth checking out. Managed to keep it short and sweet this time as well:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2011/10/ghost-sweeper-mikami.html

176748.png

I like that game. I remember borrowing a wild card off one of the lads at school many, many moons ago and spent quite some time playing this game, Sonic Blast Man, The Violinist Of Hamelin and Kid Clown In Crazy Chase.

Nice review chief. :)

• Advertisement

Must give that violinist game a go, heard it's great.

Will throw up a Majyuuou review tomorrow. I took loads of screenshots because it's probably the best looking SNES game made. The demonic art looks amazing and it's like what Shin Megami Tensei would be if it was a platformer.

Advertisement