Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It's nearly ski season!

Options
  • 08-09-2015 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one looking at webcams and checking resort openin dates etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭mgkelly

Have a look at this page from a website that I subscribe to, just for the crack. Skied in Arapahoe Basin in Colorado in May, and came across the site:
    https://opensnow.com/news/post/winter-is-coming?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=email&utm_term=newsletter&utm_campaign=20150908
    Usually, www.winterhighland.info start getting ramped up too.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I'm getting worried that I haven't booked anything yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

maddness wrote: »
    Am I the only one looking at webcams and checking resort openin dates etc.?

Not at all, I've had my countdown timer, weather, and webcam widgets set up on my phone for the last month and a half.

I was delighted to see the first dusting of snow over the weekend, and tried to share the joy with my wife, who just didn't seem as excited as I had hoped.

All the emails from Sportspursuit are starting to include snow gear, which is almost as seasonal as the leaves falling from the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

I was delighted to see the first dusting of snow over the weekend, and tried to share the joy with my wife, who just didn't seem as excited as I had hoped.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha...sounds just like my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭mgkelly

maddness wrote: »
    I was delighted to see the first dusting of snow over the weekend, and tried to share the joy with my wife, who just didn't seem as excited as I had hoped.
    Ha ha...sounds just like my house.

Indeed. Same here!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

I've been getting excited here (Western Canada) as summer is pretty much winding down now. We've a very quick switch from Summer to winter conditions...even had snow in the City last month! It didn't stick, but it was definitely snow coming down.
    I've taken the big decision to go from boarding back to skiing - haven't skied since I was about 16 (I'm 28 now!). Bought a pair of boots last weekend and waiting for the various pre-season gear sales to try grab a decent pair of skis. Not totally ditching the board yet, but going to give skiing a fair shot to see how I get on. Lucky enough to live out here within 3 hours drive of at least 5 different (decent) resorts and numerous other small hills.
    Planning the weekends away will start soon. We usually do day trips, but sometimes a weekend away can be justified!
    Regular enough updates of snow in the resorts at this stage, and Sunshine village have installed a heated bubble chair-lift this year. Should be interesting if nothing else...once they don't increase their prices to cover the cost!

masseyno9 wrote: »
    Lucky enough to live out here within 3 hours drive of at least 5 different (decent) resorts and numerous other small hills.
    Planning the weekends away will start soon. We usually do day trips, but sometimes a weekend away can be justified!

God, that would be my dream :(

Out of interest, why are you switching back to skiing?

cormee wrote: »
    God, that would be my dream :(

Out of interest, why are you switching back to skiing?

Partly just for a change. Partly due to the fact I am better than most (probably all) of the people I ride with and find I'm not pushing myself or learning anymore...or I'm not being pushed. When I spent a season in France I rode with people better than me and enjoyed pushing myself to improve and keep up. Part of this is my own doing, but it's hard to take off from the group to try something, or expect everyone to lap the park with me when they're happy cruising various blues/reds.

Also, I want to do avalanche training and try get into some backcountry stuff, or at least be able to hike to a couple of spots I know, ski tree runs etc. which just doesn't appeal to me on a board. Not sure why, because it can be done, but I just don't fancy it.

If you haven't worked out, I don't really know to be honest, just seems like a good idea! I'm buying mostly used gear, so if it's a total failure, I'll just sell it on.

And yes, it's great living out here!

Well the trigger has been pulled on a pair of skis. K2 Obsethed with marker griffon bindings. Just need the bindings re-mounted to fit my boots, get some poles and we're away! All in I've spent $355 (about €240) on boots and skis/bindings. Boots were a steal of a deal and are barely scratched and never heat-moulded. Skis are maybe 4 years old but still in great condition and haven't been ridden too much so I'm happy. I love buying used gear!

Bring on the snow!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement