Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need to play an orchestral instrument to do Music?

• 12-03-2015 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey there, I've put Maynooth as mah number 1 on the CAO, I love music and I'm looking forward to studying it in college. However I don't really play an orchestral instrument... I play the drums mainly and guitar on the side. I know a couple of classical pieces on the guitar which I'm learning for the music practical, but that's it. Will this be frowned upon and lower my chances of getting into Maynooth?

Thanks gais, it was cool of you to read this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Xscreamokidx

Absolutely not, don't worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

However I don't really play an orchestral instrument... I play the drums mainly and guitar on the side. I know a couple of classical pieces on the guitar which I'm learning for the music practical, but that's it. Will this be frowned upon and lower my chances of getting into Maynooth

No, an orchestral instrument isn't a requirement.
    Bear in mind, though, that performance is a central part of the music course in 1st and 2nd year, whether you do BA (joint honours) or BMus. You'll either take lessons on your instrument (classical guitar, I'm presuming) or alternatively, there's group piano, which you can do even if you've never done piano before. Attendance at one of the departments ensembles is also compulsory for the first two years.

Some people coming in don't realise the type of course in Maynooth - it's mostly based on Classical music - so expect to be studying theory, music history etc when you start. Modules on composition, jazz, pop, traditional music etc come in too, but not until 2nd/3rd year.
    It's a great course though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

Can anybody recommend a good classical piano teacher in Maynooth?

Advertisement