Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money left in ATM machine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Billy de Bollix

You kept it because you think others are dishonest?

Sure look I know! What would you have done yourself? Will I find myself driving back there in a moral sweat to throw it back on the ground?!!! I have a mate thats a guard and he told me they all have dibs on the drink that's taken off the teens on holloween night so that attitude can sway my decision a tad! As I asked what would ye do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Brylee Easy Mathematics

I was actually faced with this dilemma on Fri gone....the wife and I pulled into a large retail outlet and stepping outta the car she found (€170)! We sat in the car and discussed A. Handing it over to the management of the centre. B. Handing it into the local station. Eventually we decided to pocket it as simply we do not trust either party would bother their arse finding the poor sod and would pocket the lot or it would be "office drinkies at the chrimbo party" It's paying for some car trouble now but I still feel a tad guilty. Obviously if it had been attached to a wallet or ATM we would not have thought twice about it. If this bitch actually had the gall to pocket this poor sods cash from an ATM I hope she gets bloody caught! Commiserations:'(

You hand the money to the Gardai and after the prescribed period, if unclaimed, it becomes your money. Do the right thing.
    I did this about 5 or 6 years ago with a couple of hundred and got it from the Gardai later when it was unclaimed. Another time one if the kids handed in money found and got a nice reward from the owner a couple of days later. Karma!

I think in the UK the finder can cover themselves by advertising the found money but I don't know if that holds here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Its not theft you left your money there by mistake same if you had left a wallet full of cash on a table its not theft its finders keepers.

It is theft if the owner "cannot be found by the taking of reasonable steps".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Brylee Easy Mathematics

Sure look I know! What would you have done yourself? Will I find myself driving back there in a moral sweat to throw it back on the ground?!!! I have a mate thats a guard and he told me they all have dibs on the drink that's taken off the teens on holloween night so that attitude can sway my decision a tad! As I asked what would ye do?

Lord help us, if this is the level of honesty in this country today. Had you lost it I'd imagine you'd be grateful if someone returned it to you. Somebody worse off than you could be in a bad way because of the loss of this money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I was actually faced with this dilemma on Fri gone....the wife and I pulled into a large retail outlet and stepping outta the car she found (€170)! We sat in the car and discussed A. Handing it over to the management of the centre. B. Handing it into the local station. Eventually we decided to pocket it as simply we do not trust either party would bother their arse finding the poor sod and would pocket the lot or it would be "office drinkies at the chrimbo party" It's paying for some car trouble now but I still feel a tad guilty. Obviously if it had been attached to a wallet or ATM we would not have thought twice about it. If this bitch actually had the gall to pocket this poor sods cash from an ATM I hope she gets bloody caught! Commiserations:'(

Hope I find your money someday my car needs work done on it:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Put up a sign saying "sum of money found" and the person will contact you and tell you the amount? Your whole "we dont trust anyone" speech smacks of someone seeking absolution tbh.

Jaysus take it easy lads! I didn't beat up a Granny or a child on their communion day! I think some of you need to ring Joe Duffy and vent a bit! Chill out!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Jaysus take it easy lads! I didn't beat up a Granny or a child on their communion day! I think some of you need to ring Joe Duffy and vent a bit! Chill out!

You should be thrown into a flaming pit and the local children can throw things at you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

OP: I really hope you follow this up with the gardaí!
    I have been behind 2 people who have done this, one in Ireland and one in Manchester. On both occasions I grabbed money and shouted to the person "Your money". It was a natural reaction and I wouldn't have dreamed off keeping it after seeing them make the transaction.
    She made a conscious decision to keep the money!

Yo0u will probably have the hound the gardai though, my husband had to hound them to follow up a "hit and run" case even though he had go the exact details off the car. But persisting with the gardaí worked in his case.

It's a sickening way to loose money but easily done when you have alot on your mind. Hope plenty of good karma comes your way :)

Zillah wrote: »
    You should be thrown into a flaming pit and the local children can throw things at you!

Monday is always crap....but you have cheered me right up!!! Bahahaha! Cheers! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

I suspect she took it with honest intentions myself (though who knows if she changed her mind since).

The reason I think this is that she went back an used the ATM herself. I would expect that if she was dishonest from the outset, she'd just say "hey, three figure sum of cash for free - now I don't have to take any money out after all!"

What if you arrive at an ATM, because you need to take out cash yourself, and there's cash stick out already? Well you can't take your own money out until that cash is removed, so if the previous user isn't around, and you need the cash, you have to take it out so you can use the machine.

Well it seems that's the position she was in? Whe took out the cash and went looking for the owner. Then instead of saying "it's mine now!" she went back and took her own cash out. I would guess she left with the intention of handing it in somewhere, though who's to say someone talked her into pocketing it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

My two cents = this is same as loosing your money on the street, yes it happened at atm but that's irrelevent, it was your carelessness (It happens, we've all been distracted/other things on mind). Hopefully she will take steps to return it, but might not and is under no obligation to. Guards will not assist you. Best thing to do is report to your own bank, possibly this atm machine or your bank is insured/ has certain procedure for this situation.
    who_ru wrote: »
    Hi.

Not sure where to put this thread.

left a sum of money in an atm machine by mistake, just happened and feel stupid.

after discovering my error i rang the petrol station where i took the money out.

They have it on CCTV.

After I walked away from the atm and left woman in the queue behind me went to use the atm. My cash can be seen in the tray on CCTV.

The woman cannot insert her card because my cash is still there. she sees the cash and takes it out, turns around to look for me outside, walks as far as the door, then turns around and uses the atm herself with her card.

She keeps my cash and leaves without handing in at the till. All of this is on CCTV.

The security guy at the petrol station says he can burn the footage onto a cd.

if i contact the bank operating the atm, explain what happened, time & date etc, footage from cctv, can anything be done about this?

they must know who the woman is since she entered her pin at the atm.

just wondering if i can get my cash back - probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Meh. I would have kept it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Awful that she just kept your money. I went into aldi on Saturday morning and when I went to pay for my shopping I realised my purse was missing. I'd over a hundred euro in it . I went out to the car in case I had left it there but no luck. Searched all the aisles I had used but no purse. I was nearly in tears at this stage as I'd no more money to my name and needed it to feed kids, buy nappies etc. just when I thought there was no hope, a polish couple came over and handed me my purse. They obviously knew by the expression on my face that I was the owner. All my money was still in my purse. I cannot understand how somebody would not go out of their way to get money back to their rightful owner, any decent person would.

My two cents = this is same as loosing your money on the street, yes it happened at atm but that's irrelevent,

No it's NOT!!! She would have been right behind the person in the queue. Like somebodyelse said the money would only be there for a split few seconds before being swallowed! She had plenty of time to shout the person but she obviously did NOT have the natural reaction to do so!!! I have been that person at that cash machine who saw people leave their money and walk off! It's very easily done if you have stuff on your mind!

Metroburgers : You sound like an opportunist and if you saw a person walking down the street with 50 quid about to fall out of their pocket, would probably not warn them but wait till it fell out and then pick it up! No better then the corrupt bankers in my opinion!

Sundew wrote: »
    No it's NOT!!! She would have been right behind the person in the queue. Like somebodyelse said the money would only be there for a split few seconds before being swallowed! She had plenty of time to shout the person but she obviously did NOT have the natural reaction to do so!!! I have been that person at that cash machine who saw people leave their money and walk off! It's very easily done if you have stuff on your mind!

Metroburgers : You sound like an opportunist and if you saw a person walking down the street with 50 quid about to fall out of their pocket, would probably not warn them but wait till it fell out and then pick it up! No better then the corrupt bankers in my opinion!

Read the OP... "The woman cannot insert her card because my cash is still there" = meaning she did not see the money and tried to insert her card without success. She did not have time to shout as he did not initially see the money, when she did, she went to the door to look for the OP. Re: your personal slur nice trolling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭dazberry

My two cents = this is same as loosing your money on the street, yes it happened at atm but that's irrelevent, it was your carelessness (It happens, we've all been distracted/other things on mind). Hopefully she will take steps to return it, but might not and is under no obligation to. Guards will not assist you. Best thing to do is report to your own bank, possibly this atm machine or your bank is insured/ has certain procedure for this situation.

Same thing happened to my mother, the Gardai did assist and the money was returned.

D.

Read the OP... "The woman cannot insert her card because my cash is still there" = meaning she did not see the money and tried to insert her card without success. She did not have time to shout as he did not initially see the money, when she did, she went to the door to look for the OP. Re: your personal slur nice trolling!

This happens many times when you go to insert your card...that machine doesn't except it straightaway. She knew well what she was doing!!!
    As for your accusation of me being a troll. I have been posting on Boards for years so don't you dare make that accusation!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The money could have been dropped by some child out spending their communion money or some pensioner out doing some shopping. You didn't beat anyone up but still walked off with their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I honestly think the majority of people in this thread are just looking for something negative. Calling the woman a bitch for not immediately jumping to attention and hitting up the Garda station? Of course you don't hand in money to staff at the petrol station, but you also should not be required to bring it straight to a Garda station, she might have had stuff to do.

The thread was posted at 10 to 5 on a Saturday afternoon. I know I tend to have better things to do than go to a Garda station, most of which aren't open on weekends.

Check again this evening OP. And stop talking about this woman like she mugged you, you are a mug, you were not mugged. She reacted by taking the money out, most people don't know how ATM's work, she looked for you, and very well could have turned it in when she got time to go to the garda station.

This thread makes me feel sick for the lack of grace of most of the posters, looking straight at the worst possible outcome and condemning the woman without her even being given a real chance.

EDIT: I also find it hilarious that the person to call this lady a bitch is the same one who found 170 euro, used it to fix their car and took absolutely no reasonable steps whatsoever to find the owner. Not even one, a real class act.

• Advertisement

This happens many times when you go to insert your card...that machine doesn't except it straightaway.
    Exactly, so she waited a bit for her card to be submitted but after good few secs it still wasn't and maybe then she only saw the cash, with OP long gone. When using an ATM, I don't start by checking if there's money still in the cash dispenser...

I have been in that position where people have left money in the machine. HAVE YOU?? On both occasions person could be identified quite readily!
    You can't miss seeing the money unless her brain wasn't fully engaged!
    I don't think the OP sped off that quickly from the scene. I think the lady paused, thought about it but didn't have a natural reaction to return the money straight away when she saw it. I think she had a delayed response which means she considered keeping it from the beginning!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I have been in that position where people have left money in the machine. HAVE YOU?? On both occasions person could be identified quite readily!
    You can't miss seeing the money unless her brain wasn't fully engaged!
    I don't think the OP sped off that quickly from the scene. I think the lady paused, thought about it but didn't have a natural reaction to return the money straight away when she saw it. I think she had a delayed response which means she considered keeping it from the beginning!

I think you're full of <SNIP> :) How very freudian of you. Now, tell me, what do you think she had for breakfast based on the slight stain on her blouse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Has no one considered the possibility that the woman has already handed the money into a Garda station in the hope that the rightful owner would come to retrieve it there?

All the more reason to go to the Gardaí then isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

No but what you do is try justify your actions by predicting the actions of others, if you wanted to be guilt free should have thought of measuring yourself against your own actions.

OP: Go to the Garda and try get your money back. Irish people are becoming more and more dishonest everyday and I can't stand dishonesty or efforts not been made to reunite people with lost property!

I think you're full of <SNIP>:) How very freudian of you. Now, tell me, what do you think she had for breakfast based on the slight stain on her blouse?

No I think you and people like you who don't make efforts to do the right thing are full of crap!!!!! You don't know the story behind the person who lost the money. It's very easy to take, take, take and put the responsibility onto the person who looses the item!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - take a deep breath before replying. There are a lot of personal attacks going on here which are not tolerated on Boards. If I see any more personal attacks, I will infract/ban as appropriate.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭freesia1

Any luck today who ru , with return visit to garda station?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Wow can't actually believe there is an offence called "Theft by finding". I sympatise with the op and in that situation would return the cash to the op.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement