Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    That was some game of hurling. A pity to lose out but sin spórt.
    I thought Cahalane showed what he was capable of - and I think he's a better footballer.
    Egan was solid, some great point scoring by several players but Walsh's 8 points from play were savage altogether. His won in injury time to force ET was un a class of its own.
    Plenty of goal chances but only one goal, that decided it.

Super game of hurling and eventhough we lost narrowly in the end, I think there are enough positives that can be taken away from this game and more importantly there is a future for Cork hurling.

Cork played excellent and maybe if they had got one more goal, it would have probably got us over the line. Delighted Aidan Walsh played a stormer, he is definitely a better hurler than a footballer IMO. The Cork selectors have the option of putting him at the edge of the square too if they need to change tactics. He would be very dangerous there and would cause most defenders trouble with his aerial ability.

I would love to know how Aidan Walsh would do against Tommy Walsh of Kilkenny in the aerial exchanges as a matter of interest. He would have surely 8 inches of a height advantage over Tommy Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

If I see a better game of hurling this year we're in for some treat. I cant say hard luck Cork because from what I saw last night the future is very bright for Cork. Two class teams well done to both of ye and thanks for a brilliant game.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Carthy303

Didn't see the game last night as I was working but heard Aidan Walsh was outstanding.Still think he's better with the big ball though.No doubt he will be a valuable asset to the senior hurlers either though.We need somebody as big as him on the half-forward line but he's got the hurling too, unlike Michael Cussen!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Carthy303 wrote: »
    Didn't see the game last night as I was working but heard Aidan Walsh was outstanding.Still think he's better with the big ball though.No doubt he will be a valuable asset to the senior hurlers either though.We need somebody as big as him on the half-forward line but he's got the hurling too, unlike Michael Cussen!

Cussen can actually hurl for a big fella he's just a bit 'soft' imo and doesn't have the big heart.

Cussen can actually hurl for a big fella he's just a bit 'soft' imo and doesn't have the big heart.

Put it this way though, he wouldn't make the Tipp or KK panels. He won't be on the Cork one either next year with a bit of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dmc81

I thought Walsh & Cahalane had savage games last night. Is he Niall's son he is?

dmc81 wrote: »
    I thought Walsh & Cahalane had savage games last night. Is he Niall's son he is?

He is ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He is ya.

Chip of the Old Man so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Put it this way though, he wouldn't make the Tipp or KK panels. He won't be on the Cork one either next year with a bit of luck.

Agreed, but I dont think its down to a lack of ability tbh, and without sounding cocky or arrogant, the Tipp and KK panels are alot stronger than Corks and there will be a few players on the Cork panel next year that wouldnt be on either of the other two, it will be like that for a few years IMO, at least last night was some sort of a sign that there is talent there though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Chip of the Old Man so

I think he is a better footballer - yet another up and coming dual star!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I think he is a better footballer - yet another up and coming dual star!!
    Its a pity he won't get a fair crack at doing both, his fathers generation were the last of the dual players at the very highest level.
    Any idea how long it is since Sean og had to pack in the football, remember he played 99 semi against us, was that his last year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Its a pity he won't get a fair crack at doing both, his fathers generation were the last of the dual players at the very highest level.
    Any idea how long it is since Sean og had to pack in the football, remember he played 99 semi against us, was that his last year?

Not sure about that. 'Sully' did both for a while, Cadogan is doing both at the moment and I am confident ( hopefully )Walsh will be doing both next year.

Sean Óg -I'm sure he played after that, but I could not be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

What a brilliant game of hurling last night and credit to both teams for going out and playing the game as it should be,not a dirty stroke and a game full of passion with an exhibition of point scoring and fielding that has been absent from this year's senior hurling championship IMO.

While there won't be many supporters following the Cork junior footballers in their All Ireland football semi final this Saturday there will still be family members and supporters from clubs with players involved keen to attend but the decision to hold this game in Croke Park before Dublin V Tyrone is a ridiculous decision for both Cork and Sligo. Surely a venue like Ennis or Galway would have been the sensible choice?

dartbhoy wrote: »
    What a brilliant game of hurling last night and credit to both teams for going out and playing the game as it should be,not a dirty stroke and a game full of passion with an exhibition of point scoring and fielding that has been absent from this year's senior hurling championship IMO.

While there won't be many supporters following the Cork junior footballers in their All Ireland football semi final this Saturday there will still be family members and supporters from clubs with players involved keen to attend but the decision to hold this game in Croke Park before Dublin V Tyrone is a ridiculous decision for both Cork and Sligo. Surely a venue like Ennis or Galway would have been the sensible choice?

Agreed on the hurling game - that was an 80 odd min advertisement for hurling that could be beamed around the world!

I see the point about the junior game, but if I was a player on either team I would be delighted at getting a run out in Croker.
    Ennis or Galway would have been a sensible choice - but this is the GAA.

Not sure about that. 'Sully' did both for a while, Cadogan is doing both at the moment and I am confident ( hopefully )Walsh will be doing both next year.

Sean Óg -I'm sure he played after that, but I could not be sure.
    Did he play in 99 football final or was car crash in the run up to it. Just been thinking about that semi final you could nearly say it was the reverse of Sundays match, Mayo started very well and seemed in complete control, then Cork got a goal and slowly squeezed the life out of Mayo. Finaon Murray got a late goal to seal it, what a waste of talent that guy was.

Agreed on the hurling game - that was an 80 odd min advertisement for hurling that could be beamed around the world!

I see the point about the junior game, but if I was a player on either team I would be delighted at getting a run out in Croker.
    Ennis or Galway would have been a sensible choice - but this is the GAA.
    From a player's perspective your right there mo chara,the players must be delighted to be getting a game in the headquarters.

Agreed, but I dont think its down to a lack of ability tbh, and without sounding cocky or arrogant, the Tipp and KK panels are alot stronger than Corks and there will be a few players on the Cork panel next year that wouldnt be on either of the other two, it will be like that for a few years IMO, at least last night was some sort of a sign that there is talent there though.

Fair point.Tipp and KK are the benchmark though and players like Cussen won't cut it IMO if we are to mix it with the big two again in years to come.Last night was a postive but only a small step back towards where we want to and should be!

Did he play in 99 football final or was car crash in the run up to it. Just been thinking about that semi final you could nearly say it was the reverse of Sundays match, Mayo started very well and seemed in complete control, then Cork got a goal and slowly squeezed the life out of Mayo. Finaon Murray got a late goal to seal it, what a waste of talent that guy was.

What a waste indeed.His discipline left him down big time.Remember the year Limerick beat us down the park and the red card he got that day?Says it all really.

Chip of the Old Man so

Oh totally.Outstanding talent and well able to look after himself aswell.Just like his aul fella.

What a waste indeed.His discipline left him down big time.Remember the year Limerick beat us down the park and the red card he got that day?Says it all really.
    Don't recall the red card to be honest but remember talking to some Cork supporters at the time and they told me he could not even hold down a job despite being fixed up numerous times. I am surprised his overhead kicked goal against Clare has not been compared to Darren o Sullivan's around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Don't recall the red card to be honest but remember talking to some Cork supporters at the time and they told me he could not even hold down a job despite being fixed up numerous times. I am surprised his overhead kicked goal against Clare has not been compared to Darren o Sullivan's around here.

Think he had a free kick and lashed the ball straight at the limerick player, in front of the linesman. Also cork played kerry in first floodlight match in paitc ui rinn fionn was on fire, he made a gesture to the umpire and got sent off, great talent no discipline.

I am gettin sick of all this talk about darren o sullivans goal, lot of luck attached to it to be fair. The Mayo goal was far superior to it on sunday.

Well done to Cork junior footballers who defeated Sligo in the All Ireland semi final in Croke Park 0-14 to 1-6. They will play Kildare on Saturday August 20th in the All Ireland final,venue and time TBA.

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Well done to Cork junior footballers who defeated Sligo in the All Ireland semi final in Croke Park 0-14 to 1-6. They will play Kildare on Saturday August 20th in the All Ireland final,venue and time TBA.

It would be nice to win some trophy this year, its badly needed for the trophy cabinet of 2011 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

And maybe get a few players promoted to the senior panel for next season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

A new Cork GAA website has popped up it appears!

http://www.corkgaa.com

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Stinicker wrote: »

Mods, can ye please remove this link ?

Stinicker has linked to a horrendous, very NSFW website where barbaric savagery and thuggish-violence is encouraged by its inhabitants.

Despicable.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

a ploy to get extra hits on the original webisite me thinks for it cant be that popular like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Ha quite an interesting link..

Anyway lads i believe if the kingdom reclaim Sam this year then we will have collectively won the most All Irelands overtakin cork.

liam7831 wrote: »
    Ha quite an interesting link..

Anyway lads i believe if the kingdom reclaim Sam this year then we will have collectively won the most All Irelands overtakin cork.

IF is a big word isnt it. :D

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »

Smart ass. Have you anything better to do than coming on the CORK GAA thread and posting such nonsense. The website will probably be closed down if Kerry lose the All Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement