Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

snow boarding holiday equipment

• 21-09-2015 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Hoping to book our snowboarding holiday by end of the week. First time going and wondering what equipment we will need. We will be renting boards and boots while out there but reg clothing and safety bits could ye let me know. hoping to borrow most of the bits from my friend but would be great to have a good list of what ill need

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

mollybird wrote: »
    Hoping to book our snowboarding holiday by end of the week. First time going and wondering what equipment we will need. We will be renting boards and boots while out there but reg clothing and safety bits could ye let me know. hoping to borrow most of the bits from my friend but would be great to have a good list of what ill need

thanks

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

You'll get all sorts of advice here, but I'd highly recommend bringing 2 pairs of gloves. Wet, cold hands can really ruin a day. As it's your first time, you'll be sitting down listening to instructors a lot so your hands will most likely get wet/cold. I often bring 2 pairs of gloves for a day and change them at lunch if it's a heavy, wet day.

In terms of safety gear, wear a helmet. Either buy or rent one. I know you won't be going fast, but I cracked a helmet once just taking off from a stop and changing music on my phone. Caught a heel edge and fell back, landed on my ass and hit he back of my head on ice. Lesson learned...no matter how good you are, always pay attention!
    Wrist guards can be good, but I've never worn them. I do wear padded shorts though, mainly for when I'm in the park on rails and jumps etc, but beginners tend to catch edges, fall quite a bit etc. so I'd recommend them. they're also another layer of insulation between you and the snow when you're sitting down listening to your instructor. They're about €50 a pair, I think, so up to you if you'd want them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 adricky

Padded shorts defiantly, it makes sitting on the snow a lot more comfortable. I still wear them after 6 years of boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

thanks

For safety, and absolutely necessary for your first few trips: Helmet (ALWAYS necessary), elbow pads, knee pads, wrist guards, and padded shorts. I'm going on to year 16 (I think) and I still wear my wrist guards and padded shorts. Out of the above, the only item that wouldn't be 100% necessary would be elbow pads.

Regular gear: face mask, goggles, jacket, t-shirts, base layer (long johns and long-sleeved vests), pants, socks ( I just wear regular socks now, boots are so well padded it makes no difference), backpack, mittens or gloves (I prefer mittens, for the better circulation).

Not really necessary but nice to have: tool kit for bindings, SOUNDS! :cool:

Try to borrow as much as you can, you may hate snowboarding (highly unlikely) so you don't want to have lots of gear lying around in the garage, gathering dust. The first year I went I got most of my stuff on Capel St, in one of the camping shops, and it was fine. Upgrade your gear on an ongoing basis, as needed, from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

I have a brand new snowboarding jacket that i might sell (size large) with tags.
    Its a bit baggy on me :)
    I just learnt after i bought it that the difference in a ski and snowboard jacket

http://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Westbeach-Ego+Print+Jacket-301720094-clamato/?cr=GBP&_$ja=tsid:46445&adword=Google%2FUK%2FPRODUKTERWEITERUNG%2FWestbeach%2F301720094&gclid=Cj0KEQjwm4mwBRCni-ivmePYivkBEiQAdGkklsV_nijTucaxAeVW03aS70wCei1Px3wt2aaEaGCPkFwaAmit8P8HAQ

Happy to take €75 for it and can drop it in Dublin or anywhere up to Belfast

• Advertisement

For kit ,
    Helmet , you can rent them but as cheap to buy
    Jacket and pants , go for minimum of 5K waterproof/breathability
    Good gloves and a back up pair
    Sunglasses and/or goggles
    plenty of definitive lists online

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    I have a brand new snowboarding jacket that i might sell (size large) with tags.
    Its a bit baggy on me :)
    I just learnt after i bought it that the difference in a ski and snowboard jacket

http://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Westbeach-Ego+Print+Jacket-301720094-clamato/?cr=GBP&_$ja=tsid:46445&adword=Google%2FUK%2FPRODUKTERWEITERUNG%2FWestbeach%2F301720094&gclid=Cj0KEQjwm4mwBRCni-ivmePYivkBEiQAdGkklsV_nijTucaxAeVW03aS70wCei1Px3wt2aaEaGCPkFwaAmit8P8HAQ

Happy to take €75 for it and can drop it in Dublin or anywhere up to Belfast

What differences did you notice?

I wear mostly ski gear (jacket and pants), boarding, because most snowboarding gear is designed for teenagers, and I have to say don't notice any difference at all. It is a little tighter, but it's not restrictive.

All the f*n pockets in snowboarding gear drive me insane too, the f*n pockets have pockets. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

thanks a mil for the list guys seriously helpful. i wear glasses full time and ive perscription sun glasses so ill have to get a head band to keep them on me i gather too. they would be no prob to pick up id say. ill def write a list down of everything ye have said and get back to ye if there is things i couldn't get.

thanks a million for the advice everyone.

p.s hawkwind thanks for the offer of the jacket but im petite so will be too big for me and my hubbie has a jacket all ready he tells me.

Main difference is the size :) Large is like a tent on me !
    Baggier jacket for snowboarding as they supposedly do all the grabs and stuff and need more room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Do not end up spending the same you spend on the holiday on gear. You need the essentials and keep on going on more trips add and upgrade

Madatory

Board/Boots,
    Jacket - over 5k will do
    Pants - over 5k will do
    Baselayers thermals etc. Less insulation in your jacket pant ,the more layers you will need.
    Helmet
    Googles- all conditions lens will do to start with
    Facemask/Scarf thing
    Gloves - Mitts are very good for snowboarding because you can take them on and off quickly and less tangling with the wrist guards
    Headband thingy to cover around the ears.

Advised
    Wrist Guards ( but that doesn;t mean you should treat your arms and wrists as invincible , learn to fall on your arms properly )

Arse protection , its worth getting but don't break the bank.

Knee pads , elbow pads etc are cumbersome and almost a hinderance and i personally wouldn't bother with them , unless you are doing park.

One thing from personal experience is to check the archs of your feet before you go and see if you need additional support etc. I had a torturous time not realising i'd flat arch the first 2 years i went.

Places that are big on their running shoes will be able to check for you, or if you are having trouble the rental shop should be able to help you out too.

• Advertisement

lbj666 wrote: »
    Arse protection , its worth getting but don't break the bank.
    Knee pads , elbow pads etc are cumbersome and almost a hinderance and i personally wouldn't bother with them , unless you are doing park.

Maybe it depends on the conditions when you're learning - soft vs. packed snow - and by the way you fall. But by my first afternoon I was almost in tears with the pain, from continuously falling on my knees and arse. I'd respectfully rate them absolutely, utterly and completely necessary! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

To be honest, if it's your first trip, try do everything as cheap as possible until you decide if you're hooked or not. I've never found anyone to not be hooked after their first trip, but you never know!
    Beg, borrow and steal the major stuff like jackets and pants, or else go to TK Maxx and hope to find a bargain. I got a jacket for 90 snots there once that lasted a season of boarding and drinking in France, and a season and a half in Canada, going every second weekend. Would have lasted longer, but there was a sale on! As mentioned above anything above 5k specs will be fine. If you can get 10k, then you're golden. One thing that actually really helps is the thumb holes/wrist gaiters in jackets. Stops snow getting up your sleeve and melting into the inside of your glove after a fall
    For base layers, don't feel the need to go get fancy Helly Hansen stuff or anything. I rarely ride with more than a t-shirt or 2 and a hoody under my jacket(if it's approaching -15ish or colder out) so don't get too hung up on all the fancy gear speak! A couple of long-sleeves from Penneys will be fine.
    Get a few pairs of ski/snowboard socks - don't wear 2 pairs of normal socks. You should be able to find some cheap ones online - you've got time.

Pads, for me, would feel awkward but each to their own. Maybe something like volleyball knee pads might be useful, if you were going down that route?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Everything covered above but I'll reiterate the most important bit. It's your first trip. You will fall a lot. Knees, but, wrists and elbows it you are trying to avoid putting your hands down. You'll probably have yellow bruises that have green bruises of their own on them. Other colours include black and blue all in the same area. It will hurt and for some is very off putting. I saw many quit after the first 2hrs of lessons. My fractures and most concussions happened when travelling at very low speed. As my first instructors repeatedly said speed is your friend.

Rent a helmet. It was €2 a day the last time I rented one. Years ago though. If you're really going to get into snowboarding you'll know what you like and importantly what fits after your first trip having met others. Rushing out to buy before your first time will result in selling later when you realise it's either inappropriate or not your style.

Buy thermals in Aldi or whatever it's called. I'd avoid everything else they sell. Someone can correct me if there's something worth looking at.

If your prescription sunnys aren't polarized start looking for goggles to borrow or buy.

Borrow everything you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

hey everyone.

well i have gotten all the bits from my friend. she gave me a loan of 6 pairs of socks, the jacket, snow pants, 3 pairs of underlayers, goggles, hats. ive ordered my walking boots. any idea where i might get the wrist protectors and the padded pants?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

hey everyone.

well i have gotten all the bits from my friend. she gave me a loan of 6 pairs of socks, the jacket, snow pants, 3 pairs of underlayers, goggles, hats. ive ordered my walking boots. any idea where i might get the wrist protectors and the padded pants?

I'd just get them from ebay. No need to spend a fortune on them.

Advertisement