Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which own brand/budget products are good?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Tescos own brand Wheat Biscuits

They taste the exact same as the Wheatabix,cant tell the difference.

A 48 box of Tescos own brand is only 3 euro 50 cents.

I tried the Lidl brand wheat bisks,and to be honest,they were very bland and rather tasteless,when compared to Wheetabix and Tescos own brand.

Tesco wins in my books here,on a combination of taste and price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,252 ✭✭✭✭ted1

CH3OH wrote: »
    I actually think it is made by Donegal catch for Supervalu
    As far as I can remember the EU plant codes are the same on the packaging for both products. (I was looking at breaded whiting recently)

Here's link to the food safety authority website where all the plants are listed
    http://www.fsai.ie/food_businesses/approved_food_establishments.html

For example: Tesco own brand milk and fresh cream have a plant code of 1403 on the lid. Tesco try to hide the info by not having a distinct plant code label on the product. They have a note "see lid"

1403 from "Milk and Dairy establishments..." spreadsheet is Glanbia so the milk and cream is (imho) the same as Avonmore

Just because things are made in the same plant doesn't mean there the same. Receipes and quality change. I make dinner in the same kitchen with the same ingredients as my misses and the result is totally different.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ted1 wrote: »
    Just because things are made in the same plant doesn't mean there the same. Receipes and quality change.
    AFAIK Bachelors make the Dunnes baked beans and the sauce is 97% water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

seanmacc wrote: »
    Tesco Roasted Salted Penuts. Half the price of the main brands and superior in my opinion.

Disagree completely.

You really notice the difference with KP. Given the narrow difference its worth the premium in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Tesco's version of Head & Shoulders shampoo is the exact same as the real thing. Large bottle is around €1.40 compared to €6.59 for large H&S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Jane Eden

Aldi beef burgers are great. Find them much tastier than Big Al's/Birdseye.

Their Angus Quarterpounders are really tasty, A pack of 4 for €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jane Eden

Aldi large pancakes are only about €1.70 per pack of 8, fab deal. They also have 800g "Singapore Noddles" with egg, ham, peas, corn, carrot etc etc - very tasty and a filling meal for 2 if not 3 and only €2.99. Never even saw more expensive alternatives in other stores. Seems only Aldi stock this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

Lidl Granarom Columbian Coffee is lovely at 1.99 for 100g. Tried the Aldi one and it was undrinkable, but I see they have improved taste on the label or the sign now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

eamon234 wrote: »
    Lidl's Ardsallagh Sausages are great. They're made by Olhausen.

absolutely agree - they are tasty and excellent texture and they don't shrink away to nothing in the pan. They stay straight and so make a nice mini hotdog too. Mind you the LIDL ownbrand hotdogs are not bad at all themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Aldi beef burgers are great. Find them much tastier than Big Al's/Birdseye.
    These are brutal they taste like an old sock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

SuperValu have introduced their own brand yoghurt drink (like the Danone stuff). I'm not sure if it's that much cheaper than the branded versions, but the raspberry & cranberry flavour is luvverly!! They do it in strawberry as well, not bad but not as nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aldi's relish is excellent - €1.79 - 3 types

Jalepeno Pepper relish

Sweet Tomato relish

Can't remember the other one as I never bought it

Very excellent on burgers, chicken etc

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭living

Sometimes the problem is not the taste...it's how healthy a meal is :)

I like the cheapest Tesco Cooked ham, the 400 gr packet

One of the oldest sausage makers in Ireland has ceased operating this morning.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/olhausen-job-losses-629419-Oct2012/

Olhausen was wound up this morning with the loss of over 160 jobs.

So Aldi and Lidl and other supermarkets will have to look elsewhere now for their sausages.

Sad day indeed.:(

PS-I dont see any goverment ministers or Enda Kenny comming out to try and help out here....(all gone to hiding again)

But Kenny is able top have is ugly mush all over Time Magazine and pander to Europe.:mad:

I wish he would pander to his own people 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gerbo

Flour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

These are brutal they taste like an old sock

Lidl's beefburgers (Mooredale?) are imo the best bought burgers - actually, they're my favourite burgers full stop.

Aldi stackers are a better Pringles substitute - 99c instead of whatever price pringles happen to be today (another poster recommends Tesco own brand here too, but I've never come across them).

Aldi tea (McGraths), I second someone who mentioned the Aldi marmalade. Aldi salad packages are excellent.

Aldi fillet and rib eye steaks - afaik they're identical to the SQ black label steaks, but at a substantial discount (2 fillets in Aldi are 12.99 or 13.99 as opposed to 19.99 in SQ).

Re the relishes, the Jalapeno one is excellent, but I much prefer Ballymaloe's tomato relish.

Lidl nappies - toujours - wipe the floor with everything else, they're a consistent price and the quality is on a par with the best and beats most types in terms of comfort (I can't speak from experience, but, they don't leave any marks) and durability (I've never seen one leak yet, unlike certain brands - Huggies if you must know).

Aldi orange juice (NFC) - €1.45 per litre - indistinguishable from the competition.

Kids smoothies 4 pack Aldi - €2.29 as opposed to €4, may not have totally organic fruits etc, but, lets face it, it's all mashed into a mush with lots of other fruits, who could really tell!!

To be honest, there's very little in Aldi that is of inferior quality (taste wise anyway) to that available in other supermarkets, imo it's the cheap superquinn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭arch20000

campo wrote: »
    I will 2nd LIDL Weetabix probably better then the original
    Any own brand Milk it taste all the same to me
    Dunnes own brand Beans and Peas
    St Bernard Chicken Curry for 1.49 is fab

Fraid Don't agree,

LIDL Bix are like a sponge for the milk and create a yucky brown paste.

My 2 young kids won't touch them, they love the Aldi ones though.

The LIDL Arabica Espresso coffee in the medal tin in the dogs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

arch20000 wrote: »

The LIDL Arabica Espresso coffee in the medal tin in the dogs!!

The Bellarom fresh ground coffee in the black tin? Yeah, that's decent stuff for the price.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Wonder will the nice Lidl sausages be gone now that Olhausen Sasuages are closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

I'll second the Lidl nappies, they are brilliant - they don't leak and don't have that horrible smell that some brands seem to have. Lidl loo rolls get my vote too. Oh and their olive oil, that or Aldi's. Oh and Lidl skin creams are great too.

Aldi Gold blend tea bags are fab, as are their "premium" pasta sauces.

Tesco own brand butter seems to be lovely, as does Dunnes actually - some "cheap" butters seem to go a bit frothy if you use them for frying but these don't. Oh and Tesco value lightly salted tortilla chips are fab.

I'm sure there is more but I just can't think of them. Will edit when I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Mo2012

asda's powder curry sauce its like curry sauce from chip shops- very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

CH3OH wrote: »
    I actually think it is made by Donegal catch for Supervalu
    As far as I can remember the EU plant codes are the same on the packaging for both products. (I was looking at breaded whiting recently)

Here's link to the food safety authority website where all the plants are listed
    http://www.fsai.ie/food_businesses/approved_food_establishments.html

For example: Tesco own brand milk and fresh cream have a plant code of 1403 on the lid. Tesco try to hide the info by not having a distinct plant code label on the product. They have a note "see lid"

1403 from "Milk and Dairy establishments..." spreadsheet is Glanbia so the milk and cream is (imho) the same as Avonmore

Quote is GG 123 etc... all processed in Grimsby in the UK by http://www.fivestarfish.co.uk/ Donegal Catch isn't made in Donegal!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Aldi Colombine (sp) coffee, €1.99 a jar and the best stir about around.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Lidl fair trade coffee is very nice, find Aldi and Lidl Orange juices basically the same and a match for Tesco and others. Fallon's gold blend tea in Lidl is the business, they also do a nice fresh baked Irish scone.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

I find Dunnes tinned chopped tomatoes are top notch, and their mature cheddar, and their porridge. All three are cheaper than their branded alternatives but just as good in my opinion.
    Incidentally, I know someone who worked for a well known yogurt maker and they made Dunnes brand yogurts - exactly the same recipe, just different flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭mada999

vicwatson wrote: »
    It is defintely from Avonmore as i had a complaint before and had to complain to Avonmore

aye if you place a Tesco and Avonmore pack side by side they have all the exact same nutritional information

Lidl/Parkside DIY tools are good and very well priced.

Bought a fully adjustable cross cut mitre saw for 50 euro recently.
    Fantastic quality and has the same features as a 200 euro big brand name saw.

Also bought a lazer guided/straight edge Parkside Jigsaw with quick change blade system for 15 euro too.

Parkside SDS Hammer/Impact drill with various masonary drill/chisel bits for 35 euro.

Parkside Electric Sabre saw for 30 euro,complete with 5 different blades.

Again fantastic quality.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Tesco own brand diluted orange squash,72 cent,not good though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

The beans in Aldi are better than any beans around and the Putinoff vodka in Lidl knocks socks off of Smirnoff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭Gormal

Aldi's - mayo (Bramwells?) is good... well the full fat one, don't like their reduced fat one at all.
    - the soft cheese spread is nice
    - Frozen breaded cod/haddock (Northern Catch) the battered ones are greasy.
    - Potato wedges are ok too
    - Smoked fish is good as is the tinned stuff, eg. Tuna chunks in brine or Pink Salmon 99c

Lidl/Tescos/supervalu own brand tinned sweetcorn good but Aldi's is rank (think they add sweetener).
    - Marrowfat Peas from aldi/lidl

Advertisement