Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Piratebay to be blocked in Ireland within 30 days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Doylers wrote: »
    Why not? Cant see anything in the charter that says its not allowed. Thanks

because its so easy to find, there really is no need at all.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5 yoyo93

Pirate bay was actually the only torrent website I used haha. **** me. Anyone care to recommend an alternative to me?
    feck-yeah-fatherted.tumblr.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

yoyo93 wrote: »
    Pirate bay was actually the only torrent website I used haha. **** me. Anyone care to recommend an alternative to me?

er...read the 5 posts in front of yours

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

IMHO they are going the wrong way about it. They don't seem to be able to legally bring TPB to close down so they try to block people from using it. Which is ridiculous as any person able to use google will find a way around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Irish solution?

Sean Sherlock still seems to be refusing to engage with anyone on Twitter over it. Amazing he hasn't suffocated to death with his head that far in the sand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 innocent_thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Seen this today

"The Pirate Bay’s co-founder is crowdfunding a spy-free messaging app (video)"
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/33404-the-pirate-bays-co-founder/

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

Sarky wrote: »
    Irish solution?

Sean Sherlock still seems to be refusing to engage with anyone on Twitter over it. Amazing he hasn't suffocated to death with his head that far in the sand.

https://pirates.ie/
    they are a political party.. or the start of.. or something..
    but theres something interesting on the left hand side of the page :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

lol... "blocked".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Facepalm moment for the Irish government imo. Not a clue do they have as to how the internet works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Facepalm moment for the Irish government imo. Not a clue do they have as to how the internet works.

Nearly as bad As American Senator Ted Stevens...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f99PcP0aFNE

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭briany

Wombatman wrote: »
    People get banned or have posts deleted on this site all the time, yet you still support this site by using it.

Boards has forum charters and such that dictate appropriate behaviour for it's users which the users are supposed to read and consent to before posting and this is usually the cause of most bannings AFAIK and they can plead their case if they feel it's unjust.

What ISPs are doing is effectively barring all of it's users from access to a site (leaving aside the plethora of workarounds) irregardless of whether or not they have done anything wrong or have ever even used the thing. Doesn't sound fair or just and it's an affront to the principle of net neutrality IMO.

ISPs should stick to their original role - a carrier, a gateway. If an individual, be they an end user or a site operator, does something unlawful with their Internet access, they can be litigated against in civil or criminal proceedings as individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Just after finding out tpb has been blocked, already have 2 workarounds, to be honest I don't even use it much, but it's great for searching and downloading non-copyright and free distribution files as well as the files it's known for. The real problem I have with the block is the precedent it sets, what if there was an Irish version of wikileaks, and the Irish gov weren't too happy about what it was releasing, what's to stop them going to court to block that under some wishy-washy pretence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 herculesman

There is still several ways to access the pirate bay until the isp appeal the decision that I think is effecting freedom of speech as alot of stuff on the pirate bay is legit and used to spread word of upcomming artists ect.

Anyway to access to the main piratebay website is not possible, but using a mirror will allow access

MOD CUT

I don't know who set this up (thanks) but it works for now and is in Ireland, there are loads of others too that I will add as they are needed. just PM if this one fails to work.

Also consider applying pressure for protection of our constitution and freedom of speech as peoples opinions and views are in so many comments on the site

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOD WARNING: Please don't post links to pirate bay proxies or other means of circumvention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I agree MOD we don't want the government knowing now do we. Good thinking mod. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

bk wrote: »
    MOD WARNING: Please don't post links to pirate bay proxies or other means of circumvention.

Why? I happen to make use of a service that has 3 letters in it (not going to mention exactly what it is) that everyone should use, and among its benefits are getting around blocks like these.
    If people were to mention a method that only bypassed TPB blocks, and did literally nothing else, I can sorta agree with not being allowed to mention it. Thing is, the methods that are used to circumvent the block can and are used for lots of other activities. Me? I use my method to access US content on Hulu for example. Should people not be informed of my method simply because someone might misuse it to access a blocked website (which is a very controversial topic in and of itself).
    Basically, its like blocking the discussion of cars, and how to get one, because someone might get one and go for a joyride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Why? I happen to make use of a service that has 3 letters in it (not going to mention exactly what it is) that everyone should use, and among its benefits are getting around blocks like these.
    If people were to mention a method that only bypassed TPB blocks, and did literally nothing else, I can sorta agree with not being allowed to mention it. Thing is, the methods that are used to circumvent the block can and are used for lots of other activities. Me? I use my method to access US content on Hulu for example. Should people not be informed of my method simply because someone might misuse it to access a blocked website (which is a very controversial topic in and of itself).
    Basically, its like blocking the discussion of cars, and how to get one, because someone might get one and go for a joyride.

I'd say it's more down to the well-being of boards.ie so they don't get backlash for allowing links to a site of which is banned now in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Honestly, anyone who was able to download a torrent client, find the bay and use it, is going to be able to google a workaround. I'm really facepalming that someone in the industries thought this was going to work. Might shave a couple of decimal percentage points off the usage, but that'll only be until I get over to my grandma's and change her bookmarks. Probably Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 TomFrancy

just got this blocked message

http://www.upc.ie/System/Block/999/38111162/tpb/

Took about 3 seconds to get a new working link.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

yoyo93 wrote: »
    feck-yeah-fatherted.tumblr.com
    No, I won't.
    Just continue to use The Pirate Bay via Tor.
    Not just for oppressed do-gooders ya know.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

http://www.irma.ie/contact.asp

Why not send them a nice friendly email?

Also it looks like their sites was designed in 2001 and just left that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Honestly, anyone who was able to download a torrent client, find the bay and use it, is going to be able to google a workaround.

And absolutely everyone at the ISPs knows this, meaning they've got very little issue "blocking" it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Wombatman wrote: »
    And ISP's are not? A decision is made to stop the dissimilation of information for whatever reason.

the ISP aren't making the decision about what to block, atleast UPC isn't

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,049 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

RikuoAmero wrote: »

Dav explains why here:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/85072870

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

TomFrancy wrote: »
    just got this blocked message

http://www.upc.ie/System/Block/999/38111162/tpb/

Took about 3 seconds to get a new working link.

Same here...

Seriously what did they expect was going to happen? All this means is TPB got some free publicity and anyone with access to google can find a work around.

For the benefit of anyone that hasn't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZadCj8O1-0

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Spear wrote: »

Did the legal team get back to him? Surely we are allowed post alternative urls :/

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My experience is that "surely" is the most expensive word in the legal lexicon.

"Surely" means "this is how I would expect things to be or how I would do them if I were omnipotent". It rarely agrees with what is *actually* the case in law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

DeVore wrote: »
    My experience is that "surely" is the most expensive word in the legal lexicon.

"Surely" means "this is how I would expect things to be or how I would do them if I were omnipotent". It rarely agrees with what is *actually* the case in law.

Thanks for explaining to me what I meant to type. I'm glad I have you here sitting in my head :)

Advertisement