Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoE testing - The Last Word

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

a bit of a weird question.

I have a 93 hymer a class where the front passenger seat is removed to allow more room for our dog to move around while we are parked up.

There's only my wife and myself and she sits down the back while i drive to keep an eye on the dog (he's a bit of a bad traveler) do we don't use the seat.

My questions is, will i need to refit it for a DOE test or is it ok to leave it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

a bit of a weird question.

I have a 93 hymer a class where the front passenger seat is removed to allow more room for our dog to move around while we are parked up.

There's only my wife and myself and she sits down the back while i drive to keep an eye on the dog (he's a bit of a bad traveler) do we don't use the seat.

My questions is, will i need to refit it for a DOE test or is it ok to leave it out?

My gut reaction is, if it's not there the tester can find nothing wrong with it :cool:
    Is it indicated anywhere that there must be a seat in that position.
    I assume the seat your wife uses has a seatbelt, I would hope you don't want to see your loved one heading past you out through the windscreen if sh1t happens :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

Again only a Gut reaction but i would say the same. I don't think the seat will be an issue.
    If i think of it in the morning i will ask one of the testers and report back.

nailer8 wrote: »
    Again only a Gut reaction but i would say the same. I don't think the seat will be an issue.
    If i think of it in the morning i will ask one of the testers and report back.

Cheers for that Nailer, much appreciated.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    My gut reaction is, if it's not there the tester can find nothing wrong with it :cool:
    Is it indicated anywhere that there must be a seat in that position.
    I assume the seat your wife uses has a seatbelt, I would hope you don't want to see your loved one heading past you out through the windscreen if sh1t happens :eek:

Ah, yeah she uses one of the rear seats fitted with a belt. I'm not sure what would indicate a seat must be there. Is there any regulation to specify a passenger seat must be fitted?

• Advertisement

Checked with the tester.
    His opinion is that the missing seat would not be an issue in the CVRT test.

He would note it on the test report so that should a faulty seat be refitted after the test he would be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Question , if you knew of an MH that got a dodgy test , would you report it?

I would say yes definitely.

They are putting lives at risk as well as tarnishing the image of vehicle testing as a whole.

Vehicle testing is supposed to be a level playing field. However test centers who are enforcing the rules as they are supposed to loose business to other test centres who have a name as being "Easy" to get through or worse still testers that may accept bribes.

Even if it was one of my own staff i would prefer to know even if it meant repercussions from the RSA. The sooner these dodgy testers are hauled out in hand cuffs (as happened in cork recently when a tester is accused of taking a bribe and the vehicle was subsequently involved in a fatal crash) the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Question , if you knew of an MH that got a dodgy test , would you report it?

I think it would depend on what is meant by "dodgy test". If someone got a pass by bribery then yes. Anything else might be difficult to back up.

nailer8 wrote: »
    Checked with the tester.
    His opinion is that the missing seat would not be an issue in the CVRT test.

He would note it on the test report so that should a faulty seat be refitted after the test he would be covered.

Thanks Nailer, there was no problem with the test so that saved me a few hours work.

SOP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Morgan The Moon

Hi All,

My motorhome is due for the test, it is on it's 9 th anniversary. Last cert was for 2 yr's. Will I get a 2yr Cert this time or a 1 year ?

Logically when you read the rules for Motorcaravans etc it will be under 10 years so I hope it is a 2 YR Cert again.

However because mine is over 3.5 ton and having three axles it is tested as heavy commercial. The criteria in the test manual docs does not seem to mention the dates and anniversary rules that were used 2 yr's ago.

Appreciate your replies,

Moc

Hi All,

My motorhome is due for the test, it is on it's 9 th anniversary. Last cert was for 2 yr's. Will I get a 2yr Cert this time or a 1 year ?

Logically when you read the rules for Motorcaravans etc it will be under 10 years so I hope it is a 2 YR Cert again.

However because mine is over 3.5 ton and having three axles it is tested as heavy commercial. The criteria in the test manual docs does not seem to mention the dates and anniversary rules that were used 2 yr's ago.

Appreciate your replies,

Moc

Mine was tested in February this year, it got a two year cert which will expire when it's 10 years and and 8 months old.

AFAIK the rule is testing up to a vehicles 10th. anniversary of first registration gets a two year cert.

BTW while your vehicle will be put down the HGV l test lane the test fee is not the HGV fee, it's the special motor caravan fee SEE HERE

Hi niloc1951,
    Thanks for that. That is the way I thought it was. When I called into the test centre to enquire about booking the test they told me it would only get a 1 yr cert, hence the reason for my posting the question. Do you know were I can get the "rule" from so I can quote it to them?

Would I be right to assume that the test centre does not make that decision anyway!

Morg

Hi niloc1951,
    Thanks for that. That is the way I thought it was. When I called into the test centre to enquire about booking the test they told me it would only get a 1 yr cert, hence the reason for my posting the question. Do you know were I can get the "rule" from so I can quote it to them?

Would I be right to assume that the test centre does not make that decision anyway!

Morg

If you read the section Note on test due dates HERE you will see that it intended to advise that motor caravans aged under 10 years are entitled to a 2 year cert.

Thanks again,

I thought there may have been an updated doc.

Morg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tombombadil

hi all,

I recently bought a 1997 Ford Transit Hi-Cube that had been converted as a camper, I had a bit of work done on it but when it was brought in for the test it failed on corrosion to the chassis/underbody. In the "engineer"'s words the chassis is "toast" and there's not a good bit of steel to weld to underneath. They stuck a fail dangerous sticker on the windshield as well, meaning it's an offence to drive it in a public place and, apparently, if caught, as well as fining you they can seize the vehicle and "dispose" of it appropriately.

basically now i'm left with either selling the van for parts or trying to find a welder who might want to give me a second opinion on it, but in the latter case if I were to have major work done on the chassis could it actually be tested again if it's been condemned in this way, i.e. the fail dangerous?

cheers

hi all,

I recently bought a 1997 Ford Transit Hi-Cube that had been converted as a camper, I had a bit of work done on it but when it was brought in for the test it failed on corrosion to the chassis/underbody. In the "engineer"'s words the chassis is "toast" and there's not a good bit of steel to weld to underneath. They stuck a fail dangerous sticker on the windshield as well, meaning it's an offence to drive it in a public place and, apparently, if caught, as well as fining you they can seize the vehicle and "dispose" of it appropriately.

basically now i'm left with either selling the van for parts or trying to find a welder who might want to give me a second opinion on it, but in the latter case if I were to have major work done on the chassis could it actually be tested again if it's been condemned in this way, i.e. the fail dangerous?

cheers

Although I'd be very surprised in no-one comes up with the answer to this, my suggestion would be to give the RSA in Ballina a ring. They're very helpful people. You'll find their number on their website.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Yes it can be retested, the sticker means they NCTS/DOE can cover their asses if you drive it home after failing. 97 is pretty new for the chassis to be toast, although it is possible if it's been living by the sea. Get it up on a ramp and get a welder to have a look and see if it's worth saving.

Just sailed through another test, the camper not me, not bad for a 1986 vehicle:). Just in time for it to go in the barn for the winter:(, seems crazy doesn't it!.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Pjwal

shagman wrote: »
    Yes it can be retested, the sticker means they NCTS/DOE can cover their asses if you drive it home after failing. 97 is pretty new for the chassis to be toast, although it is possible if it's been living by the sea. Get it up on a ramp and get a welder to have a look and see if it's worth saving.

Transits are becoming very famous for their serious corrosion issues,and transit vehicles as new as 05/06 are failing on the rust and on the latest tester update courses in October the rsa highlighted this as a serious issue and give instructions for thorough examination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've searched this thread, this forum and googled without success. Anyone know how far in advance of the expiry of the old one you can get the DOE done? Thanks

Ya. It's 30 days in advance

Ya. It's 30 days in advance

The 30 day rule is one of the aspects of testing which carried over from the commercial side of roadworthiness testing to motor caravans. There is no arguable reason why motor caravans should not be entitled to the three month rule applicable to cars. Not alone do motor caravans do less mileage per month than commercial vehicles as a rule the do less mileage than cars also.

It's one of the few remaining issues to be argued with the RSA, another being the denial of our right under EU Directive to the simplified and less expensive to get Category C1(97) driving licence to drive campers over 3.5t GVW n

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

niloc1951 wrote: »
    The 30 day rule is one of the aspects of testing which carried over from the commercial side of roadworthiness testing to motor caravans. There is no arguable reason why motor caravans should not be entitled to the three month rule applicable to cars. Not alone do motor caravans do less mileage per month than commercial vehicles as a rule the do less mileage than cars also.

It's one of the few remaining issues to be argued with the RSA, another being the denial of our right under EU Directive to the simplified and less expensive to get Category C1(97) driving licence to drive campers over 3.5t GVW n

I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, I was able to book a DOE for the next day if needed where as the NCT you can't seem to get it's act together. Passed by the way so chuffed

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

Hi.
    One thing I would take issue with is that the RSA set rules to increase their own revenue.My camper was off the road for a couple of years and I had filled in the forms for that,when I got it tested I only got a cert for six months as it was overdue for testing.The tax accepted it was off the road but RSA insisted they would not change my cert.
    The really annoying thing is that I got it tested at the start of summer so the test would come up each year just as the van was brought out of hibernation now they want to test it in november when it is back in the shed.
    zambo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 knaushouse

Hi all,
    New here so forgive me if this post is in in the wrong place or whatever.

I took my camper in to one of my local doe centers last Sept and was told that it is wrongly classified on the log book, its classified M1 and should be N1, the lady in the office there let
    it through but told me to take the log book to our local motor tax office and have it re-classified N1 as the RSA were insisting on having campers properly classified and i would need it done properly when i brought it back for it's next doe so i did this but was told that motor tax no longer had the authority to re-classify vehicles this was now the responsibility of revenue and i was given the phone no for the central vehicle registeration office at Rosslare, i tried ringing them but apparently the do not answer phone calls from the public so i took a day off work and went down there only to be told that they would not re-classify it due to lack of staff, the would need fifty extra staff to re-classify every camper in ireland and those staff were not going to be made available and further more every camper pre 2011 was classed as M1 and because this was the norm at the time it was not wrongly classified, only campers registered since 2011 were classified N1 and i could go back to the RSA and tell them revenue would not be re-classifying pre 2011 campers, on my way home i went back to the doe center and the lady there rang the RSA
    but they still insisted it had to be re-classified, its still not done and i dont know what else to do, anyone else come across this?

knaushouse wrote: »
    Hi all,

I took my camper in to one of my local doe centers last Sept and was told that it is wrongly classified on the log book, its classified M1 and should be N1, the lady in the office there let
    it through but told me to take the log book to our local motor tax office and have it re-classified N1 as the RSA were insisting on having campers properly classified and i would need it done properly when i brought it back for it's next doe so i did this but was told that motor tax no longer had the authority to re-classify vehicles this was now the responsibility of revenue and i was given the phone no for the central vehicle registeration office at Rosslare, i tried ringing them but apparently the do not answer phone calls from the public so i took a day off work and went down there only to be told that they would not re-classify it due to lack of staff, the would need fifty extra staff to re-classify every camper in ireland and those staff were not going to be made available and further more every camper pre 2011 was classed as M1 and because this was the norm at the time it was not wrongly classified, only campers registered since 2011 were classified N1 and i could go back to the RSA and tell them revenue would not be re-classifying pre 2011 campers, on my way home i went back to the doe center and the lady there rang the RSA
    but they still insisted it had to be re-classified, its still not done and i dont know what else to do, anyone else come across this?

My suggestion is that you 'phone the RSA in Ballina, tel:096-25014, and explain the problem direct to them. I've found that they are really helpful people. Just ask for someone who deals with motorhomes.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I would go to a different DOE Center.

• Advertisement

knaushouse wrote: »
    Hi all,

Is there no end to this ignorance effecting our beloved officials who should know their own regulations.
    An N1 vehicle is a GOODS VEHICLE
    An M1 vehicles is a PASSENGER VEHICLE

A motor caravan is a PASSENGER VEHICLE, its correct EU Vehicle Category is M1.(passenger vehicle with not more than eight passenger seats plus drivers seat)

All motor caravans categorised as N1 are incorrectly caterorised
    All motor caravans categorised as M1 are correctly caterorised

The mis-categorization resulted from The Revenue not being concerned with the recording of this piece of data, and other data, correctly at time of first registration as it is of no particular interest TO THEM.

Advertisement