Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Temporary Clerical Positions in the Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Haven't done my questionnaire yet but heard this story today and thought id post! I was chatting to a family friend today who is an eo in the local sw office. He helped his daughter with the questionnaire two years ago, and when he asked advice about the test he was told to answer 'very like me' to all relevant questions and 'not at all like me' to the others ie the two extremes. She got her temporary contract, however last year she did the same and didn't get an offer so I'm confused as to how they are marked. I'm just going to answer them honestly and fairly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Badhb wrote: »
    Just did the questionnaire.
    Found it nauseating in the extreme. Desperate attempt to pigeon hole people into boxes with no room for elaboration, explanation nor expansion on such prejoritive questions.

Sickening really. They are looking for nice, compliant robots who have no problem spending all day photocopying and/or filing despite their qualifications and boredom threshold.

Grand if you have a family full of kids and are just wanting any kind of job for that kind of cráp money. But, quite honestly its just taking the píss out of any person who actually has a braincell rattling round in their head.

Hopefully if that is what they are looking for, I will be 'weeded' out. No wonder the public service has the bad rep to date. It seems like it will be well deserved to those who really, really want this.

exactly...i hope u dont get a job in any form in the public service. You are obviously born with a chip on your shoulder and i for one would hate to be stuck at a desk with someone of your attitude. Please god you dont get any further in this...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

exactly...i hope u dont get a job in any form in the public service. You are obviously born with a chip on your shoulder and i for one would hate to be stuck at a desk with someone of your attitude. Please god you dont get any further in this...

No personal attacks please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I did actually read on the internet somewhere that for online work questionnaires, you should either respond on the extreme and that too many in the middle answers can make you seem undecisive. We'll soon see I suppose. We can only give it a shot and what ever is for us will not pass us as the saying goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Just did the questionnaire, Heap of bollox tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Badhb wrote: »
    Just did the questionnaire.
    Found it nauseating in the extreme. Desperate attempt to pigeon hole people into boxes with no room for elaboration, explanation nor expansion on such prejoritive questions.

Sickening really. They are looking for nice, compliant robots who have no problem spending all day photocopying and/or filing despite their qualifications and boredom threshold.

Grand if you have a family full of kids and are just wanting any kind of job for that kind of cráp money. But, quite honestly its just taking the píss out of any person who actually has a braincell rattling round in their head.

Hopefully if that is what they are looking for, I will be 'weeded' out. No wonder the public service has the bad rep to date. It seems like it will be well deserved to those who really, really want this.

You're applying to be a Temporary Clerical Officer with a contract that normally is no more than 6 months, what do you expect to be doing other than filing or photocopying? It's in the job description, if you don't like it then don't apply for it.

I like how you implied that anyone with kids are desperate for money and don't have any "braincelle rattling round in their head" as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eamonncarney

Just heard about it today, never got email or any type of notification, even though applied several times in previous years, is it to late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Just heard about it today, never got email or any type of notification, even though applied several times in previous years, is it to late

Unfortunately, Yes. The closing date has now passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Given the reports of up to 9000 public sector workers leaving before the pension changes (a proportion of these being clerical) would there be the scope for these temporary positions to develop into actual jobs at the end of the contract period?
    Or would there be a seperate campaign for filling any vacancies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

spudz21 wrote: »
    Given the reports of up to 9000 public sector workers leaving before the pension changes (a proportion of these being clerical) would there be the scope for these temporary positions to develop into actual jobs at the end of the contract period?

The temp positions are the same positions that come up every year. They are there to fill job leave / term time etc.

You'd be lucky to get a contract for more than a max of 13 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

spudz21 wrote: »

Well the embargo is still in place and the government want the numbers in the PS decreased so I can't see them suddenly taking on the temp clerical officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

With the massive uptake of the early retirement public service scheme, surely they will have no choice but to lift the embargo at some stage though. That's my optimistic view on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

With the massive uptake of the early retirement public service scheme, surely they will have no choice but to lift the embargo at some stage though. That's my optimistic view on it.

Well the retirements aren't going to be even across all departments so staff redeployment is probably going to happen. Things are being scaled back hugely and money needs to be saved in the PS. I have no doubt it will be lifted at some point but personally I think we've a minimum of 2 more years before it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Did the skills survey today completely forgot about it to be honest but as long as I get on the panel for interviews I'll be happy

Were people honest about themselves or say they were great like myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I replied honestly. Of course I told them I was great! :D

Well, I gotta say that, cos no-one else will!!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

I applied for this in March last year, and got a phone call on Friday saying they are only getting around to my application now!! so had an interview yesterday, and got offered a job in the Revenue Commissioners two hours later to start on Monday

Well done Paulh! You must be in complete shock :) Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Paulyh wrote: »
    I applied for this in March last year, and got a phone call on Friday saying they are only getting around to my application now!! so had an interview yesterday, and got offered a job in the Revenue Commissioners two hours later to start on Monday

Good stuff. How long is your contract for?

I'd imagine that last year's panel lasts until April this year, when this year's takes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Well I got the impression the embargo was to be lifted within 3 years, and that it had been lifted temporarily for staff that might be needed for certain civil service positions if understaffed such as for nursing, teaching and the garda but even now they are affected by the embargo on civil service recruitment as its mostly temporary positions rather than permanent positions are available while the government embargo on recruitment is still in place.

Congrats PaulyH! Well done! You must be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭culsoh

Does anyone know if they let you know if you haven't been successful to get to the next round??

What is the next round?? Interview? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Yonge Street

Next step is they investigate whether you have any relatives working in the civil service. If yes, you get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭culsoh

:P:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kazz2012

Next step is they investigate whether you have any relatives working in the civil service. If yes, you get the job.

So true n completely unfair:mad:, Is it just Ireland dat operates dis system ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

kazz2012 wrote: »
    So true n completely unfair:mad:, Is it just Ireland dat operates dis system ?

No truth in that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭elPadrino

PopTarts wrote: »
    No truth in that at all.

I am a civil servant. Last year, 4 out of 8 temporary clerical officers taken on in my area were related to other members of staff. A coincidence? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

None of the TCO's last year were related to anyone in the office, however there was a nephew in the people who were brought on through fas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

None of the TCO's last year were related to anyone in the office, however there was a nephew in the people who were brought on through fas...

same as my office, none of the TCO's even knew anybody in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I am covering someones Maternity leave and I dont know anyone in the office I was placed in.

how was someone brought in through Fas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Anyone got any idea how long it takes to get a reply after you do the questionaire. I did mine last Friday!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement