Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guild Wars 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Eoin247 wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. My account name might be stuck with Eoin1234 for example, but my character can still be called Eoin.

"This is a unique account identifier, consisting of a name and a randomly generated four-digit code. You'll use it during the Guild Wars 2 Beta Event, on the Beta Forums, and in Guild Wars 2 after launch. The name and four-digit code will be your handle on the Beta Forums. The four-digit code does not appear in the game itself unless another player chooses the same name, in which case both your name and the four-digit code will appear."

it's being discussed here http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/4-digit-name-suffix-t34565.html haven't read the whole this yet

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

KilOit wrote: »
    "This is a unique account identifier, consisting of a name and a randomly generated four-digit code. You'll use it during the Guild Wars 2 Beta Event, on the Beta Forums, and in Guild Wars 2 after launch. The name and four-digit code will be your handle on the Beta Forums. The four-digit code does not appear in the game itself unless another player chooses the same name, in which case both your name and the four-digit code will appear."

it's being discussed here http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/4-digit-name-suffix-t34565.html haven't read the whole this yet

Isn't that just like wow then? I have an account name shared across all my characters that is used to contact me in game (in game customer service for example) yet i could be playing on a character with a different name.

Eoin247 wrote: »
    Isn't that just like wow then? I have an account name shared across all my characters that is used to contact me in game (in game customer service for example) yet i could be playing on a character with a different name.
    WoW tried to implement something similar with a Battle.net name that would link to your real name profile to stop trolls on the forums but was never a ingame name.
    You can't have the same name twice on a server and numbers aren't allowed for character names in WoW.

The email is worded very poorly, if they're trying to say your account name is using the 4 digit code and not the character they shouldn't mention "ingame". when they say that i think KilOit has my handle and the name everyone see's me as ingame and not Stephen which would be my account name as per say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Has this been asked before:

can you happily swap servers for free like you could on GW1 or is it like most mmo's where you have to pay to transfer your character to another server?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Has this been asked before:

can you happily swap servers for free like you could on GW1 or is it like most mmo's where you have to pay to transfer your character to another server?

Appears you can swap at the click of a button, for free.

There is a time limit on how many you can do per day, and are restricted from partaking in certain events for a pre-determined time from moving afaik

• Advertisement

Never had issues with people using my toon names either.

But I'd be seriously questioning the credability of an mmo that lets people have names

Ep1cC00lK1d1994

Never had issues with people using my toon names either.

But I'd be seriously questioning the credability of an mmo that lets people have names

Ep1cC00lK1d1994

TheDoc wrote: »
    Appears you can swap at the click of a button, for free.

There is a time limit on how many you can do per day, and are restricted from partaking in certain events for a pre-determined time from moving afaik

what about WvWvW? wouldnt that create inblanace as people can potentially join the server thats currently winning on a WvWvW match?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

You choose a Home Server that server is the server you fight WvWvW for basically your home realm. You can freely travel between the other servers and play with friends or whatever but if you want to fight WvWvW you will only be able to fight for your home server.

You CAN change your home server via the in game cash shop with in game gold or with purchased gems. Also after changing servers you will have a cool-down for a undetermined amount of time where you are not able to enter WvWvW so no it is not possible just to move to the winning side.

Also your home server is the server you select at the start but if your server is full you will be overflowed into an available slot on another server. Then you are placed into a Que so you can play away and when your server gets a spot open it will pop up on screen and allow you to instant join your Home server group.

Also when server names get annouced it would be awesome if everyone joined the same Home server for WvWvW :D

Hope that clears some things up.

Invites for stress test went out today, check your emails

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

nothing yet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ah don't be telling me that, now I'm going to spend half the day checking for it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

I got an invite, Starting on Friday!

Ravage1616 wrote: »

Did they give you a link to download the game?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

MikeyJoyce wrote: »
    You choose a Home Server that server is the server you fight WvWvW for basically your home realm. You can freely travel between the other servers and play with friends or whatever but if you want to fight WvWvW you will only be able to fight for your home server.

That's actually a really good idea. Nothing worse then not being able to play with friends on other servers.

Did they give you a link to download the game?

It gives you a link to register and then a link to download, which is down at the min.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

On paper GW2 is looking fantastic, its my last real hope of getting back into a great mmo after recent disasters.
    Please God it delivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

The only worry for me is not having a sub class of skills, even in rift you could mix and match to create great solo builds like the duracel cleric etc.

I'll cry if there no gimmicky builds or running, I used to make a fortune from the runs and soloing missions for cash, they provided a lot of challenges, likewise the 55hp necro/monk/mez, the 120hp derv, the earth mage tank the spirit spammer, the invinci sin etc were brilliant. Loved barrage groups, trappers, duos, trios etc.

I'm also not sure about all the dodge mechanics etc, used to be all brain no fancy finger work, perfecting pvp team builds was great fun where every skill counted.

Looks like if anything guildwars may be becoming more like every other mmorpg, just ftp, which most are doing too in their own way. Hope that isn't the case.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dcully wrote: »
    On paper GW2 is looking fantastic, its my last real hope of getting back into a great mmo after recent disasters.
    Please God it delivers.

I'm probably the same. Trying to keep my anticipation in check, after some recent disappointing releases. If it does end up disappointing, i think i'll be done with mmo's until they completely rework the current system.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Please God it delivers.

I don't have a lot of MMO experience so in that sense I'm probably the opposite kind of player to most folk on here. WoW was my first MMO, played it for about 3 years from launch then gave it up, played the various expansions but gave up after Lich King. Played a small bit of GW1, liked it but never gave it a proper chance.

GW2's big attraction for me is the no monthly subs and the fact it's not WoW. I've less time for gaming these days so I'm hoping there's less emphasis on grinding. Really looking forward to GW2 I must say.

• Advertisement

Please God it delivers.

i got a feeling it will. it is trying to revolutionalise MMO and if it can deliver it with mimimal game breaking bugs plus have lots of content for end game then it will be a winner easily.

It has achieved and done the hard part ie figuring out a way to revolutionalise/freshen up the mmo genra, now all they got to do is make it stable, balanced and have longetivity. thats it

With no Bizz con this year I wonder if blizzard are putting their heads down to come up with the next gen WoW. This is good. Real competition is what the MMO world needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

With no Bizz con this year I wonder if blizzard are putting their heads down to come up with the next gen WoW. This is good. Real competition is what the MMO world needs.

Well they are hard at work on Titan which is their next big project, but nobody knows what the hell its gonna be about, speculation is an mmo

Ravage1616 wrote: »
    http://twitter.com/#!/guildwars2
    They tweeted this though "I can confirm that this weekend (April 14th and 15th) is NOT a Beta Event Weekend, sorry :( ^AT"

You sure it's not a scammer?

they just tweeted this
    "The upcoming stress test is NOT a beta event and NOT related to pre-purchase. Its intention is to help us prepare for the beta events! ^AT"

"NOT related to pre-purchase" So how did you get an invite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

VinLieger wrote: »
    Well they are hard at work on Titan which is their next big project, but nobody knows what the hell its gonna be about, speculation is an mmo

Yeah Titan is going to be what makes-or-breaks Blizzard and/or change the face of the genre.

http://twitter.com/#!/guildwars2
    They tweeted this though "I can confirm that this weekend (April 14th and 15th) is NOT a Beta Event Weekend, sorry :( ^AT"

You sure it's not a scammer?

they just tweeted this
    "The upcoming stress test is NOT a beta event and NOT related to pre-purchase. Its intention is to help us prepare for the beta events! ^AT"

"NOT related to pre-purchase" So how did you get an invite?

It says its a beta stress test, now that I've actually read it properly, "April 13, between the hours of 12PM – 6PM Pacific".

Seems legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭andy85wsm

This post has been deleted.

what about WvWvW? wouldnt that create inblanace as people can potentially join the server thats currently winning on a WvWvW match?

There is a lockout on this aswell

They were very open in outlining that they cant host blizzcon due to

Diablo 3
    Starcraft 2 expo dev
    WoW mop dev

Hosting a pretty epicly massive professionally tournament in its place

And Titan, which realistictly, we wont be hearing/seeing about, for some years.

Its also grossly inaccurate to say Titan will make or break Blizzard. They control three of the most powerful IP's in the industry, that have expodential growth rate

Starcraft
    Warcraft
    Diablo

Titan is hopefully they can add to the mix, but it certainly wont break them if it flops.

And anyway its Blizzard, its going to be immense, lets be real

• Advertisement

Titan will be made for next gen if it's going to consoles as well, i have the highest of expectations for it, they have huge funding and talent to rival Apple employees

Advertisement