Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deleted Threads

• 21-07-2014 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

I was just reading down a thread on AH - some rubbish about foriegn workers in Lidl.

I'm assuming its been deleted, because it wouldn't let me post or go to the next page.

In this instance I can probably guess that the posts turned racist but in other instances far from obvious. You just can't find the thread again!

I wonder if its possible to have a register of deleted threads with a brief reason/explanation.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm afraid not. Once a thread is deleted then it is invisible to anyone other than the mods of the forum in question, the relevant CMods and the admins. Maintaining a list of deleted threads serves no useful purpose and merely creates additional, unnecessary work for the mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm afraid not. Once a thread is deleted then it is invisible to anyone other than the mods of the forum in question, the relevant CMods and the admins. Maintaining a list of deleted threads serves no useful purpose and merely creates additional, unnecessary work for the mods.

OK, I take your point about the extra work - but it would serve some use. You have posted to a thread, or even just saved it because it was interesting. Come the next day you log on, no notifed posts, so after a while you check your list of threads and its gone. You think ah, but I posted on that and you check back your posts and thats gone too. It would just save people like me a funny 5 minutes bearing in mind that you have no idea that the crazies took over the thread part way through the night.

Anyway can't be done, can't be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I understand why deleted threads are simply vanished, but for sure it does my head in sometimes when I think I just can't find a thread I was reading, and I'm not sure if it's been deleted, or if I'm looking in the wrong place, or I'm losing my mind...!

Eeden wrote: »
    I understand why deleted threads are simply vanished, but for sure it does my head in sometimes when I think I just can't find a thread I was reading, and I'm not sure if it's been deleted, or if I'm looking in the wrong place, or I'm losing my mind...!

I think that's it. As soon as you figure its deleted you can get on. Having it just disappear causes a bit of self-doubt and confusion. Maybe I didn't post, maybe I didn't save it, maybe it wasn't AH, maybe baby.

I wonder if the thread title could be left in the forum with all the posts deleted and a Mod note "Thread closed due to racist comments", or whatnot.

Maybe I just ask too much

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Eeden wrote: »

True it can be annoying, I was editing a post the other day and it had been deleted, in fairness rightly by the mod because there was a warning that I'd missed while posting.

Tbh I don't see much merit in keeping them as viewable, there's nearly always a good reason why they are deleted, and it's mostly nosiness to see what happened that would attract me, not much else.

Long threads that get deleted is more annoying, but there's usually a good reason they get deleted.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    True it can be annoying, I was editing a post the other day and it had been deleted, in fairness rightly by the mod because there was a warning that I'd missed while posting.

Tbh I don't see much merit in keeping them as viewable, there's nearly always a good reason why they are deleted, and it's mostly nosiness to see what happened that would attract me, not much else.

Long threads that get deleted is more annoying, but there's usually a good reason they get deleted.

I don't doubt. Nine times out of ten I expect most of us could guess the reason accurately.

There are times though when I have no idea. A little while back there was a thread in AH about burglar alarms that go on ringing. During the discussion I was having a little ding dong (no pun) with a Mod from another forum. My last reply before I went to bed was, dare I say it, a tad cheeky. I thought that said Mod would probably get his Mod buddies to give me some sort of infraction or worse. So when when I log on the next day expecting ..... nothing! No thread. Not closed or snipped but vanished off the planet.

No doubt it will remain one of life's lesser mysteries :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Maphisto wrote: »
    I thought that said Mod would probably get his Mod buddies to give me some sort of infraction or worse.

Just on that note, it should be said that most of the mods on the site don't know each other very well! Most of us would have a friend or two, but out of 500+ mods there wouldn't be many medium - large groups that know each other well.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Maphisto wrote: »
    There are times though when I have no idea. A little while back there was a thread in AH about burglar alarms that go on ringing. During the discussion I was having a little ding dong (no pun) with a Mod from another forum. My last reply before I went to bed was, dare I say it, a tad cheeky. I thought that said Mod would probably get his Mod buddies to give me some sort of infraction or worse. So when when I log on the next day expecting ..... nothing! No thread. Not closed or snipped but vanished off the planet.

No doubt it will remain one of life's lesser mysteries :D

Sometimes it's best to delete nonsense/drunk/late night crap, best for all involved nobody gets to see it! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

An File wrote: »
    Just on that note, it should be said that most of the mods on the site don't know each other very well! Most of us would have a friend or two, but out of 500+ mods there wouldn't be many medium - large groups that know each other well.

I read that as possible but difficult to arrange so its unlikely :p
    K-9 wrote: »
    Sometimes it's best to delete nonsense/drunk/late night crap, best for all involved nobody gets to see it! ;)

None taken. If that were the case though why not just delete the offending posts rather than the whole thread. Must have been something reasonably juicy other than me getting smart with a Mod. Incidentally the thrust of that post was that I pointed that the non-sensical position he arrived at was because he had chosen to answer rhetorical questions that I had asked further up the thread to make a bigger point. If he hadn't acted like a dick I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Anyway you can't do it. Its too much work. Thank you all for your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

If I come across such threads I follow them and choose to be notified about them each time the thread is updated. That way I have the juicy momento in my Outlook inbox. They become the most memorable threads entertainment wise .

• Advertisement
Advertisement