Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

changing direct debits between accounts?

• 08-03-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

I've recently set up a joint current account with BOI with my girlfriend. She has moved into my house and the new joint AC will be used for bills, groceries etc. I still have my AIB account as my primary account into which I get paid and pay for personal stuff, mortgage, credit card etc.

All utilities are currently set up for direct debit from my own account. To change these to come out of the joint account, do I have to write to BOI to set up new DDs, write to AIB to cancel old DDs and write to each utility to inform them of this, or is there a simpler way? Can I just call the utility companies and they will do everything for me?

I called BOI and the woman in the branch was no help at all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

you can get a switching pack from BOI. You just complete the details of both accounts, and select the option to switch all direct debits and standing orders but leave AIB a/c open if this is what you wish to do. return this to BOI and they will do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

sarahlulu wrote: »
    you can get a switching pack from BOI. You just complete the details of both accounts, and select the option to switch all direct debits and standing orders but leave AIB a/c open if this is what you wish to do. return this to BOI and they will do the rest.

Sounds good , beat me to it!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If possible ask can you sit down with someone to go through the switching pack, just to make sure you've filled everything in that you need to. A lot of customers I've dealt with have found this very helpful, as there can be a lot in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

sarahlulu wrote: »

Is there an option with switching packs to pick the direct debits you want to change? The OP mentioned he wanted to keep his mortgage and credit card paying from his own account, so presumably he doesn't want these to switch over.

If it's only a few bills (there can't really be that many) then it's easy just to write to the bill issuer (or phone them) and change the details. You shouldn't have to write to the banks at all, though it is good practice to cancel the old direct debit, just to make sure you get no duplicate payments.

Personally, I would always avoid switchers. I know four people who've used them, and in three cases something went wrong. One missed a mortgage payment, one had direct debits remain active on the old account as well as being paid form the new one, and one had his wages disappear into limbo because the bank messed up.

Advertisement