Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sweets that just weren't nice.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I didn't like "flying saucers" the wafer things with fizz in them.

Wasn't a big fan of sweet cigarettes or those edable watches/necklaces

had flying saucers there about 2 weeks ago, the wafer is nice but the sherbet is terrible as it's more times than not gone off and all hard.

them necklaces/watches were great catapults though, you'd bite off half of the sweet and use the elastic as a slingshot.

anyone speaking bad words about desparate dans/roy of the rovers/wham bars need to rethink their childhoods.

have to say i absolutely hated turkish delight and to this day still do, it's not so much the taste that puts me off but it's the texture of the turkish combined with chocolate that just makes me shudder anytime anyone is eating one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

What were those cylindrical, red tubes with white sweet stuff in the middle? the white stuff was ok, but the red exterior was like eating plastic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Kalipso Bars. I'm not sure I've spelled it properly but the toffee in them was so hard I broke a grown up tooth. Those and Macaroon Bars (equally ugh) came out of the same factory. They used to come in a papery wrapper and cost about 10p.

Also, some of those penny chews were very dodgy - fruit salads (now there's a misnomer if there was ever one), Postman Pats etc.

At a time when getting more bang for your buck was a big thing, the 5p Big Bar was a right thing to get. Such a shame the chocolate tasted like radioactive cooking chocolate

JC 2K3 wrote:
    What were those cylindrical, red tubes with white sweet stuff in the middle? the white stuff was ok, but the red exterior was like eating plastic...

I ate something like that last week actually. Can't remember the exact name for them but bought them in a Julian Graves shop for some reason. The tubes were a rubbery strawberry flavour and the filling was suspiciously like sugar. I think the wrapper described the filling as being "crystals"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Archeron wrote:
    Time bars. I lost at least 5 teeth to these beasts. They were nice, but they were dangerous.
    amen.
    if the bar was cold you had to hit it against something to break it and hope it shattered in to smaller pieces, but if it got too warm it was worse than stretch Armstrong , you'd try to bite a piece off and pull with both hands, feel your teeth starting to give while the bar just got longer.

those pink/purple sweets with the coins in them, horrible but you bought them in case you got 5p in one

Double Centres - I really hate them so many obnoxious combinations, I don't think there was a single one I liked :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I almost forgot the foul tasting Caramac bars, Nestle made them, "caramel tasting" indeed. *pukes*

caramac.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Yis act like these sweets were posionous and from about 20 years ago! Most of these sweets are still available I think and I used to love them when I was a kid! The amount of Dan/Wham/Cola bars I could get for a pound (or euro) - those chewy bars were the best! And I remeber me thinking I was the sh1t with my candy sticks - pretending I was smoking. Mind you I didn't like the chocolate (if you can call it that) smokes...were you supposed to eat the paper surrounding the 'chocolate'? I did...not nice. Actually, I think they've banned these with the new smoking laws an such.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ruu wrote:
    I almost forgot the foul tasting Caramac bars, Nestle made them, "caramel tasting" indeed. *pukes*

caramac.jpg
    They suck!

Most things on this thread are lvely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I remember being young and thinking I must have some sort of intellectual advantage over my classmates who were eating what was blatantly ordinary paper covering chocolate cigarettes. You couldn't eat it, it was paper. Edible paper dissolves on your tongue, that paper didn't, you couldn't even chew it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Kolodny wrote:
    'Chocolate flavour' mice. Whatever they were made out of, it wasn't anyhting like real chocolate and it was disgusting. Same goes for those buttons with tiny coloured bits (hundreds and thousands?) on them. And anything at all made out of liquorice - does anyone actually like the taste of it?

I LOVE Liquorice! Probably explains why I like absinthe so much :o

Those ice pops that were just frozen milk were nasty, really horrible stuff.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, those milky ice pops were vile. Didn't like the unfortunately named Chilly Willies either - the sticks were splintery and the ice pop itself was watery. Actually, anything that came from Leadmore or Silver Pail dairies was gank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

The ones that always made me gag were fizzle sticks especially if they were eaten while slurping on cheap cola from the supermarket.

I can feel my tummy burbling as I type...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭JimmNeutron

TURKISH DELIGHT full stop. Who buys this stuff??
    This and caramello wreck the dairy milk name. I dont understand why cadburys would sell this muck and stop sellin things that were nice like the wispa and top deck!!!
    It just doesnt make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

ugh yeah caramellos are disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no way, caramellos are so nice, admittedly they are no dairy milk whole nut but they are nice all the same.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They are lovely, so are turkish delights.
    And those fizzy spaceships, yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

I didn't like "flying saucers" the wafer things with fizz in them.

Wasn't a big fan of sweet cigarettes or those edable watches/necklaces
    Did you know that the company who made those flying saucers also supplied host for holy communion to the church, same recipe. Think they were Belgium.

brian076 wrote:
    Did you know that the company who made those flying saucers also supplied host for holy communion to the church, same recipe. Think they were Belgium.
    Holy crap!

No wonder there are so many messed up adults around the place. They were probably putting in some hallucinogenic drug that made people see moving statues or UFO's.

brian076 wrote:
    That's a great first post. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TURKISH DELIGHT full stop. Who buys this stuff??
    This and caramello wreck the dairy milk name. I dont understand why cadburys would sell this muck and stop sellin things that were nice like the wispa and top deck!!!
    It just doesn't make sense
    did ya ever try the Turkish delight without chocolate - it's like eating perfume :(

never got the hang of loop the loops the chocolate on them was yukkie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Black Jacks - yuk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't let the stuff that passes as turkish delight over here put you off the real deal. Got a box of turkish delight from turkey with pistachio nut pieces in it. Absolutely divine and nothing like the turkish delight in the chocolate bars (which I like anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Turkish Delight and Parma Violets - yuck. Love liquorice tho, used to be something called Spanish that was very strong liquorice, also Imps, tiny little cushions of the same stuff. Don't like anything with rum or banana flavour - toffee with either of these flavours, though I like both rum and bananas. Also like aniseed but don't like those flat round sweets in liquorice all-sorts, the ones with tiny blue bobbles on them. And those hard pineapple chunks covered in sugar that would take the skin off your mouth.

looksee wrote:
    ...And those hard pineapple chunks covered in sugar that would take the skin off your mouth.
    Oh God yeah - I used to have mouth ulcers for a week whenever I ate those!

the pineapple ones were nice

but the apple drops that tasted like chemicals

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/ethylacetate/smells.htm

mols4.gif

mols3.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Pink panther bars, it was like eating pink wax.

McCafferty's time bars had a bight yellow wrapper with bacl print on it with a clock face in the middle.
    I used to put them in the fridge and then brea it into peices before slowly eating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

tk123 wrote:
    Black Jacks - yuk.
    Booo!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

I really hated...

cadburysfudge.jpg

Thaedydal wrote:
    Pink panther bars, it was like eating pink wax...
    Oh wow!

I am glad someone remembers these. Funnily enough I used to love the smell and taste of 'em. They may also explain my fetish for wax!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

I hate Opal Fruits and sweets that resemble opal fruits (like Fruitella, etc)...bleh!
    Just chewy cubes of plastic and rottenness!

Pick n Mix is also rotten! I OD'd on the pick n mix chocolate mice a while ago and I was so ill after! I swore off the filthy things on my sick bed in a fit of rage.

One of the Quality Street chocolates has a fondant that resembles Calpol 6+ in colour, taste and texture. Terrifying.

When I was younger I loathed Black Magic! We'd always have a box of em at the Panto every year and they'd be passed around in the dark after the show had started and you'd think it was something nice so you'd stuff about 50 chocolates in your gob....much spitting and whingeing would ensue! (But these days I love dark chocolate; wonder if BM are any nicer!)

I must say that there are some 'disgusting' sweets which I absolutely love:

Turkish Delight! (The cadbury one, the Fry's one, the genuine turkish delight with its layer of sugary dust....yummy!)

Liquorice! (plain or in liquorice allsorts!)

And finally, I absolutely loved.....
    THE COFFEE FONDANT ONE THAT USED TO BE IN ROSES!
    I wish they'd bring it back......:(

Advertisement