Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Linux Mint and graphics cards... is it really that hard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Close all apps, open a terminal and type the following:
    sudo apt-get install -y nvidia-settings && sudo reboot

Enter your password and let it install the latest nvidia drivers/settings.

Let it reboot and see if that helps when you login again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If I recall correctly the VIA/S3 UniChrome support in the Linux kernel has been deprecated.

Try an older version of the distro and you might have better luck.

Almost all modern distro have similar hardware requirements to modern Windows, for full functions.

There are some speciality distros for older hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

I'd suggest you leave the nvidia card in if at all possible, as the unichrome driver is a dog.
    You could try booting this chromiumos image to see what graphics performance might be like.
    This multiple driver build has nvidia support baked in, should only require one reboot to generate the configuration.

http://arnoldthebat.co.uk/wordpress/2014/01/05/multiple-driver-special-edition-build/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

My advice would be firstly to give up on the VIA card. They have a poor reputation for support in Linux, and if you have the option of using nVidia, it will probably work out better.

Secondly I'd probably advise you to look at using the MATE or XFCE editions of Mint. Cinnamon is on the heavier end of linux desktops, with fancy window rendering and animations, while Mate and XFCE are much lighter.

Thirdly, the nouveau driver that you blacklisted is the open source nvidia driver. It may actually be the better option on older hardware, and it may allow you to run newer versions of mint (though I still wouldn't run Cinnamon) If you are installing the proprietary driver, then you should be using the nvidia-graphics-driver-96 package for hardware that old, but everything I see suggests nvidia stopped updating that in 2012, so you'd have to use distros from that era.

• Advertisement

Advertisement