Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-10-2012, 12:34   #586
aka accounts 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryj123 View Post
I don't think much of it comes into play besides the first and last,There is always something else on,Hurling matches on at the same time etc! most likely just to do with the recession!
I think the majority of points in the post are relevant actually. I didn't bring in factors from outside the music sence really (with the execption of mentioning the economy in my final point).

Many people who attend these big outdoor gigs attend plenty other big music events in Ireland and Europe every year and have to carefully decide what to attend and what to skip. The possibility of an Oxegen and Slane announcement when the Croke Park gig went on sale would not have helped sales.

Then take into consideration that 135,000 people attended Phoenix Park over 3 days just a week after the Croke Park gig.

I was at RHCP O2 gig and went to all Phoenix Park gigs.

When the Croke Park gig was announced I decided to wait and see what other big summer gigs would appear.
Advertisement
15-10-2012, 20:09   #587
roryj123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis_Dublin View Post
The right acts can sell out Croke Park... or certainly make it more full than 60%. I wonder did MCD make money after they paid their fee to the band?
not a chance somewhere said the break even point for many gigs is 70-80%
15-10-2012, 20:11   #588
roryj123

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka accounts 2010 View Post
I think the majority of points in the post are relevant actually. I didn't bring in factors from outside the music sence really (with the execption of mentioning the economy in my final point).

Many people who attend these big outdoor gigs attend plenty other big music events in Ireland and Europe every year and have to carefully decide what to attend and what to skip. The possibility of an Oxegen and Slane announcement when the Croke Park gig went on sale would not have helped sales.

Then take into consideration that 135,000 people attended Phoenix Park over 3 days just a week after the Croke Park gig.

I was at RHCP O2 gig and went to all Phoenix Park gigs.

When the Croke Park gig was announced I decided to wait and see what other big summer gigs would appear.
Well I think anyway,There will always be something else on or other options even Madonna couldn't sell out the Aviva and she sold something like 60,000 at Slane Castle a few years ago,Concerts are one of the first things to go down in a recession.
15-10-2012, 20:36   #589
Ash.J.Williams

what was the sound like from the pitch and the canal end? The stands are brutal. Plus Croke park is F***ing huge, never noticed it at games so much. Probably not the epic gig venue that was expected. There is also a "croke park residents "group who deal with the gaa regarding issues relating the impact of croke park on their lives, and i would imagine they control the curfew and volume of gigs.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion