Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Claiming Tax Back from Summer Job..(Under 18)

• 22-07-2012 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi I got my first summer job this year, Im 16 and I pay tax, PRSI + USC, all that craic (i dont know the specifics tbh) A few people have told me that I can claim tax back when I finish the job and go back to school.. :confused:
    Can someone please give me more info about this? send me links to the relevant revenue websites if you can.. Much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

firstly well done on getting a job - have you informed Revenue that you are working and received a Tax Credits Certificate?

Are you getting a payslip - that will tell you what tax/PRSI/USC you are paying and should tell you what tax rate you are on too. If you are paying tax you might not be on the correct rate of tax as normally students who haven't worked previously in a tax year (Jan-Dec) end up with more allowances than they earn. Firstly ask employer what tax band you are on. If its anything other than "normal" (ie it could be "emergency" or "week 1") then ring Revenue and ask for it to be adjusted. Secondly, if you do pay tax and assuming you go back to school/study in Sept, then you can send your P45 into the tax office and you should receive a refund.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/paye-guide-employees.html

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

hey thesimpsons (nice name by the way :P), now im nearly even more confused...so ive looked back over my payslips and for the first two weeks the tax band was ''emergency'', after that though it was ammended to normal automatically..also thanks for the link but I dont think it really deals with my situation, not your fault tho :) so i just have one more question..can i claim tax back on the first two ''emergency'' week? and if so, how? Can i also claim tax back on the ''normal'' weeks? I presume thats through the same means as the ''emergency'' weeks?...
    Cheers :)

Advertisement