Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox 360 Reset Glitch Hack - Unsigned Code on current Kernels incl. X360 SLIM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Thanks. So a little more complicated then plugging in a USB memory stick...

At least you don't have to do something crazy like drilling through a chip :P

Thats a good thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

EnterNow wrote: »
    Thats a good thing :)

More fun for me *inhales flux fumes* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yes & Yes :)

Basically:

• Dump the nand using a nand programmer
    • Install Python & variables on your pc (programmimg language/scripts)
    • Use a Python command to modify your dumped nand image
    • Use the nand reader to flash the newly modified nand image, back onto the 360.
    • Additional hardware required, for precise execution of the glitch, programme this new hardware over lpt with your pc via Impact.
    • Solder additional hardware to necessary points on the 360's board.
    • Boot the console :)

You can use ECC Glitch Generator, to generate the EEC file. No need to install the Python compiler etc..

justryan wrote: »
    You can use ECC Glitch Generator, to generate the EEC file. No need to install the Python compiler etc..

True, & Bestpig has a new tool out also. I just thought though that explaining the mod at a nuts & bolts level would be better, as at least then people know what the gui frontends are actually doing :)

Just a thought, wouldn't you be able to unban an Xbox 360 once this hack develops further and your able to decrypt the keyvault with the CPU key.

• Advertisement

Of course, but not really.

Banned consoles have no real issues any more, their signing abilities have been restored so all they can't do now is go on live which is stopped both locally and online via a revocation list check, I assume that happens at sign in. The only thing you can really do is stop the denial of Live services locally (e.g. cleaning Xval/secdata), but once your KV is checked online you'll be banned again. I expect the frequency of these checks will increase significantly if we see an influx of modded/previously banned consoles coming on Live

Of course, but not really.

Banned consoles have no real issues any more, their signing abilities have been restored so all they can't do now is go on live which is stopped both locally and online via a revocation list check, I assume that happens at sign in. The only thing you can really do is stop the denial of Live services locally (e.g. cleaning Xval/secdata), but once your KV is checked online you'll be banned again. I expect the frequency of these checks will increase significantly if we see an influx of modded/previously banned consoles coming on Live

Ok but let's say you have a banned Xbox 360, you do the glitch hack get the CPU key extract the keyvault, take the kv from a donor console write this to the nand, undo the glitch hack and rewrite the stock nand with donor kv. It's something I would have no interest in doing, but it could work in theory.

Edit: and theorically you could use the same glitch hack to retrieve the kv of a donor unbanned console

Ok but let's say you have a banned Xbox 360, you do the glitch hack get the CPU key extract the keyvault, take the kv from a donor console write this to the nand, undo the glitch hack and rewrite the stock nand with donor kv. It's something I would have no interest in doing, but it could work in theory.

Edit: and theorically you could use the same glitch hack to retrieve the kv of a donor unbanned console

I'd imagine they can easily cross reference kv's with other console specific details such as nat mac address, esn etc. Whether they do or not I've no idea but its within the realms of possibility for them to.

It'll theoretically work, but if Microsoft go and start banning KVs and CPU keys then it's back to square one no matter what KV you use :D

Tiny price update there, apparently the TX Coolrunner is at most USD$20. Not all that bad :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Hi Guys,

I've a few maybe dumb questions, I havent looked into that much:

Is modded dashboards a possibility with this?

Am i right in saying that this will constantly require hardware to send the reset pulse?

Hi Guys,

I've a few maybe dumb questions, I havent looked into that much:

Is modded dashboards a possibility with this?

Am i right in saying that this will constantly require hardware to send the reset pulse?

As in the likes of Rebooters & FSD etc? I'd imagine its only a matter of time. Once you see linux running, or a varient of it...most of the hard work is done.

The hardware is required for precision timing of the pulse, so in my understanding of it, yes...permanently tethered to the mainboard.

Hardware is permanently required as EnterNow said, it's needed to send the interrupts to slow the clock speed of the CPU down and glitch it on boot.

For the moment only binaries compiled with LibXenon will work because all that's working is Xell. Xell runs on CPU only, whereas FSD etc are GPU driven like the real dash. There's anotherstep required to bridge the gap between CPU glitched and system-unlocked, I'm sure there are some smart minds working on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

It's a really great discovery by all the devs.

Anyway, saw a new tool in development - http://360-clip.com.

It's basically a little connector that gives you the pins needed to solder on and a cable that goes right on top of the chip on the 360's mobo.

Pretty useful for people who're afraid to solder the connections on the board itself.

There's also some chips in development that will replace the CoolRunner. Apparently they're going to be priced at $20 too, so it might be easier to just get one of them, and not have to do the extra soldering like required on the CoolRunner (the bridge between 2 places on it).

Too bad my 360's a Falcon. Gotta wait a bit. :rolleyes:

Is this the end of console modding then? They are producing a newb friendly chip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Is this the end of console modding then? They are producing a newb friendly chip

bring on console repairs!
    I always have more work when those n00b friendly solutions are released. they aren't so easy after all

Console modding died a death with PSGroove man :D

Seriously though I would think not. Modding a console can quite always only be the first step. Its one thing to carry out a mod, but a lot of the times it doesn't go quite according to plan. This is where knowing your stuff really comes into play for fault finding, diagnosis etc. I'd consider those just as important to modding, than the ability to solder a few wires here & there...so no, as long as a mod can be messed up...there's always be someone needed to fix it.

From what I can see all that product does it make the "hard" soldering easier by clipping onto the TSOP chip and providing pin headers instead. Still need to solder to the glitching hardware etc.

From what I can see all that product does it make the "hard" soldering easier by clipping onto the TSOP chip and providing pin headers instead. Still need to solder to the glitching hardware etc.

Great at least there is a learning curve :) there are even more solutions appearing now, http://www.360squirt.com and http://infinitymod.com

Great at least there is a learning curve :) there are even more solutions appearing now, http://www.360squirt.com and http://infinitymod.com

Team Matrix are back? Cool - got one of their infinity modchips in a PS2 slim here, great product :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smliv

touchingvirus is right all the 360 clip is useful for is the nand reading and writing. The soldering for the glitch board is harder to solder than the jtag part the pad you have to solder to beside the hana chip is tiny and has another pad right beside it. The reason the xenon cant be done is it only has an ana chip and xbox's with hdmi have a hana chip which the glitch hack uses. Would no one try their hand at puting together their own board there's a few schematics and board designs floating about now

Aaaaaaaand GBOOT has arrived, a hot-rebooter for glitched consoles :D Currently early in the dev stages and only capable of launching a default.xex from a game it is nonetheless progress on the homebrew scene.

So, anybody want to buy my 4 Jasper JTAGs?*

*joke:P

>> GliGli released a new version of the Reset Glitch Hack (RGH) that allows you to run homebrew software on any 360 console (except Xenon).
    What's new/fixed:
    * Falcon support.
    * Per hardware revision SMC patches (no more need for Jasper donor smc on fats).
    * Adding sanity check on 1BL key.
    * Adding support for donor CB on fats.
    * Debug pin on fats and slims.
    * New Xell with some bugs fixed.
    * Now using 270pf capacitor for slims, many reported it works better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The bigger question is how much to charge to do this for you friendly people

Well the JTAG got down to about €60. Factoring in this is more difficult soldering, still requires nand read/write etc (more soldering) and the use of custom hardware that needs to be replenished, I reckon you could be looking at €85 depending on the cost of the hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Well the JTAG got down to about €60. Factoring in this is more difficult soldering, still requires nand read/write etc (more soldering) and the use of custom hardware that needs to be replenished, I reckon you could be looking at €85 depending on the cost of the hardware.

agreed. the addon costs ~€20 itself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I honestly think jtagging @ €60 is good value (especially if big block). After doing a few myself recently ... its a pain in the ass! The guts of my day is gone by the time i get it up and running properly and that doesnt even include dashlaunch, optional media updates etc.

Like if there was someone in Athlone doing Jtags at €60 I would pass it off!

Are we at the stage where it can run custom dashs yet?

I honestly think jtagging @ €60 is good value (especially if big block). After doing a few myself recently ... its a pain in the ass! The guts of my day is gone by the time i get it up and running properly and that doesnt even include dashlaunch, optional media updates etc.

Like if there was someone in Athlone doing Jtags at €60 I would pass it off!

Are we at the stage where it can run custom dashs yet?

I do nothing else for the €60 except put the latest dash on. There's no OMU, no dashlaunch, no FSD installation, nothing. As soon as I see the Xbox 360 "tutorial" screen my job is done and I pass it back to the customer. I've enough to be worrying about like the tricky boards that might take 4 hours to do so by averaging out at €60 I'm just about breaking even on the no-hassle boards. If I were to mess around with other non-technical stuff like dashboards etc I would have to up the price again.

My guide price of €85 is just a guide, I've looked over schematics and soldered wires to the points the glitch hack will need even though I don't have the hardware yet. I'll decide later, after I do a few on my own and see how long it takes and how much trouble it is :)

gBOOT is being programmed by the russian group responsible for SPUTNiK360, I believe it's only a matter of time now as they said in their last update they have it working themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

gBOOT is being programmed by the russian group responsible for SPUTNiK360, I believe it's only a matter of time now as they said in their last update they have it working themselves.

Gboot was actually found out to be fake awhile ago. check this link - http://www.thetechgame.com/Forums/t=2235534/gboot-is-fake-no-free-boot-image-for-reset-glitch-read.html

So for the moment there is no real point in the RGH unless you are into homebrew a lot or the N64 emulator they have working on it :) (and getting dvd keys etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Krazzzzy Kay

Gboot might be fake but this new projects:RGLoarder is the real deal!

http://xedevwiki.com/wiki/Projects:RGLoader

I will be ordering my hardware to do the reset glitch hack as soon as this and the XECUTER COOLRUNNER chip are released!

I plan to use the CYGNOS 360 V2.1 Rev E to do a dual boot system and have my Xbox on live as well as homebrew.

once all goes well I will start to offer my services!

Anybody know a good Irish supplier for these parts? So far I can only source them in the US and the UK.

Advertisement