Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jailbreaking an iPhone Queries

• 08-09-2008 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone answer some questions about Jailbreaking an iPhone 3G?

1. Is it something that can be done myself? I have limited knowledge of phone set programming and absolutley zero knowledge of Apple software so should I attempt to do it?

2. Where can I get the software to do it? Is one particular site safer/better than another?

3. Does Jailbreaking the iPhone invalidate my warranty?

4. Will Jailbreaking it affect any future updating?

My iPhone in particular is a 35 running on 2.0.2 update, but i think this thread might be helpful to all iPhone users with similar queries.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Can anyone answer some questions about Jailbreaking an iPhone 3G?

1. Is it something that can be done myself? I have limited knowledge of phone set programming and absolutley zero knowledge of Apple software so should I attempt to do it?

2. Where can I get the software to do it? Is one particular site safer/better than another?

3. Does Jailbreaking the iPhone invalidate my warranty?

4. Will Jailbreaking it affect any future updating?

My iPhone in particular is a 35 running on 2.0.2 update, but i think this thread might be helpful to all iPhone users with similar queries.
    Look here & here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thanks Andrew but I'd really like to hear answers to Questions 1, 3, and 4 before I start since I could leave my phone in unusable state.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Thanks Andrew but I'd really like to hear answers to Questions 1, 3, and 4 before I start since I could leave my phone in unusable state.

I haven't done it but from reading in forums here is what I think.

1 Yes you should be able to do it yourself
    3 Yes
    4 It will depend to what the updates are, but best is always to check what the feedback from the iPhone-Dev is before you do any updates.

nava wrote: »
    I haven't done it but from reading in forums here is what I think.

1 Yes you should be able to do it yourself
    3 Yes
    4 It will depend to what the updates are, but best is always to check what the feedback from the iPhone-Dev is before you do any updates.

3 is wrong. jailbreaking does not invalidate the warranty as the phone can be restored to factory settings at anytime.

I've just done it and it seemed to be easy to do. feel foolish now for being so worried. any tips on whats the best thing to do when its initially jailbroke?

• Advertisement

I've just done it and it seemed to be easy to do. feel foolish now for being so worried. any tips on whats the best thing to do when its initially jailbroke?

Very good I think I should also do it now I know you can do a restore to factory.

Have you installed any good apps others than from Itunes?

How long does it take? after upgrade do you have to copy contacts and re-install all the aps again? Because I have about 3gb of stuff mainly music in it so in that case I will delete them before doing it.

No it should remain on your iPhone providing its done right first time. My advice is check for an upgrade and set a restore point on itunes in case you need it.

As for how you atually transer stuff to the phone then I am lost. I tried iPhonebrowser but its all gobblydeegook to me.

My initial reason for doing this was to make a word doc available for viewing on my iPhone at any time.

Any advice anyone?

No it should remain on your iPhone providing its done right first time. My advice is check for an upgrade and set a restore point on itunes in case you need it.

As for how you atually transer stuff to the phone then I am lost. I tried iPhonebrowser but its all gobblydeegook to me.

My initial reason for doing this was to make a word doc available for viewing on my iPhone at any time.

Any advice anyone?

Look at this. It's a doddle

Thanks. Thats a much easier programme to use. and its so easy to transfer any file I want onto it. But how do i view say a doc file for instance on my iPhone?

This wouldn't be an issue if apple just created an iWork App.

Hi

Downloaded the files to jailbraking the Iphone 3g but after I extract them and try to run them I get the error as below, also downloaded BETA file directly from the www.winpwn.com website after I install when I try to run it similar problem.

pwnxu6.th.jpg

I have Admin rights to my PC and was able to install Discaid ok yesterday.

• Advertisement

Hi

Downloaded the files to jailbraking the Iphone 3g but after I extract them and try to run them I get the error as below, also downloaded BETA file directly from the www.winpwn.com website after I install when I try to run it similar problem.

pwnxu6.th.jpg

I have Admin rights to my PC and was able to install Discaid ok yesterday.
    Are you getting the issue when you run winpwn? You only have to use on eof them to jailbreak the phone. Winpwn won't do iphone v2.02 as far as I know. Quickpwn will do but it is essential that you have the exact update file they want.

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Are you getting the issue when you run winpwn? You only have to use on eof them to jailbreak the phone. Winpwn won't do iphone v2.02 as far as I know. Quickpwn will do but it is essential that you have the exact update file they want.

I'm getting the error as soon as I run the file downloaded from your link above, QuickPwnRC3.exe but also downloaded QuickPwnGui120.exe and having the same problem, just installed Net Framework but same problem.

Also all the security updates are installed.

I'm getting the error as soon as I run the file downloaded from your link above, QuickPwnRC3.exe but also downloaded QuickPwnGui120.exe and having the same problem, just installed Net Framework but same problem.

Also all the security updates are installed.

Ok. In that case it would be better to use winpwn. It takes a while longer and you have to create the custom file but is is easy to do.

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Ok. In that case it would be better to use winpwn. It takes a while longer and you have to create the custom file but is is easy to do.

Hi, I have another PC so move the files over and was able to Jailbrake it :) as said before by OP very easy to do.

Also installed Cydia and Installer. Any good apps in there? found one to record Videos that was missing with the Iphone or apple Apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

quickpwn 2.1 is out now,

Advertisement