Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus transfer SNN-LHR flights to BFS

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

The big deal is that

- it is no longer possible to get up in the morning, go to the Airport, spend the day in London (particularly West London) and be back for dinner (or 'tea' as they say in the West). A two day trip becomes necessary.
    There is a morning flight from ryanair arriving at 8:00 in Stansted. There are flights home in the afternoon and evening from Gatwick and Stansted.
    Of course there is a broader problem. As a nation, we are not taking regional development seriously (and that includes the people in the regions).
    Would you consider Northern Ireland part of the 'Irish Nation'. We still issue passports to anyone from NI and I would hazard that a majority of NI residents consider themselves 'Irish', even those who also consider themselves British. Belfast is a deprived area of this island.

I have been told that the decision was made solely on cost grounds. Part of the high costs of operating from Shannon were due to the unco-operative approach of the unions. EI's ground staff numbers have already been seriously reduced in recent years as they have lost business they used to provide to other airlines. This should have been a profit centre for Aer Lingus but it appears that the worker's shop stewards have negotiated their way to the dole queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Empty vessels make the most noises, as my mother used to say.

I heard one Clare politician mentioning on Saturday morning that Limerick, Clare, Galway and North Tipp would be very adversely affected by this.

Really. I work in Nenagh and I can tell you that it's a big non story - apart from the professional whingers who take take take (see the WRC). Why? Well, maybe not that many people actually depend upon it in the way this has been exaggerated.

Yes, there is a tradition of "what we have - we hold" - well, sorry lads, shows over. I laugh at the fact that it appears that some companies in the private sector want another one (AL) to take it hit on their behalf.

So, a hotel has put on hold its great plans to expand. Nothing to do with the gross costs of living in this country, nothing to do with the fact that we've become such a nasty shower that failte Ireland has to spend money on a billboard campaign telling us to be nice to tourists? There are many reasons why a hotel may not expand, AL is a cheap and easy way of escaping the blame.

Here's the interesting bit. All of a sudden Shannon releases the news that AL can save €4million (with some part of that being apparently on the AL side- how would Shannon know that?) Well, AL must be kicking themselves so because that implies that Shannon has been ripping them off, and also implies that other airlines using Shannon are being likewise ripped off.

I think that the Shannon Management may have let a cat out of the bag with their panic stricken press conference last Friday. I'm sure that Ryanair and the likes may have some questions as to how such savings can suddenly appear.

Are there alternatives? Well, I'm sure that Cork will now buy loads of advertising in the regional papers and point out that they can get you there. I'm sure all the other carriers into London from Shannon will do likewise.

Meanwhile, Shannon will have to get its act together. They should now get on with attracting KLM and point out that Amsterdam is a better alternative to Heathrow. They have to do something that they have never had to do before - justify their existence. And, sorry lads, that means bringing in the cold hard cash to run the place - not rely on political favours and priests in pulpits saying that a private company has a "moral obligation" to provide a service to the West of Ireland. Those priests may be interested to hear that no matter what the position of the meek may be in the afterlife, in this life they go to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

And, sorry lads, that means bringing in the cold hard cash to run the place - not rely on political favours and priests in pulpits saying that a private company has a "moral obligation" to provide a service to the West of Ireland. Those priests may be interested to hear that no matter what the position of the meek may be in the afterlife, in this life they go to the wall.

Benny, will you ever issue an edict or papal bull to your first line mgmt. to tell them to stick to the fire and brimstone stuff, but to leave the social diatribes to others who actually live in the real world..................ta :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

OTK wrote:
    There is a morning flight from ryanair arriving at 8:00 in Stansted. There are flights home in the afternoon and evening from Gatwick and Stansted.

Sure, that's fair comment. But still, it isn't convenient for a large part of London. Ryanair isn't a business airline either, and doesn't claim to be.
    Would you consider Northern Ireland part of the 'Irish Nation'. We still issue passports to anyone from NI and I would hazard that a majority of NI residents consider themselves 'Irish', even those who also consider themselves British. Belfast is a deprived area of this island.

I have been told that the decision was made solely on cost grounds. Part of the high costs of operating from Shannon were due to the unco-operative approach of the unions. EI's ground staff numbers have already been seriously reduced in recent years as they have lost business they used to provide to other airlines. This should have been a profit centre for Aer Lingus but it appears that the worker's shop stewards have negotiated their way to the dole queue.

The west as a region has far less infrastructure than Belfast.

I fully agree that the local players down in Shannon have a lot to answer for in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

I see on the Irish Examiner that AL are now looking to pull flights from Cork:

"AER LINGUS last night dramatically axed a plan to cancel Cork’s early-morning flight to London Heathrow and run the service from Belfast instead."

They backed down. I assume they are just waiting for the noise to die down from the Shannon move before axing cork.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

jrar wrote:
    Benny, will you ever issue an edict or papal bull to your first line mgmt. to tell them to stick to the fire and brimstone stuff, but to leave the social diatribes to others who actually live in the real world..................ta :D

I think Benny just issued a papal bull there jrar... I would call it... "Maximus Dose di Realitus" !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Aer Lingus have not cancelled anything twas a software glitch ("oh thats what they say now!" :D ).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

*cought* bullsh!t *cough* :D

lostinsuperfunk - interested to know why you think CDG a better outcome than LHR - are we talking about services or about ease of transfer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think the route profitability is a smokescreen. Its about about breaking the pay and terms and conditions throughout the company. They've been trying to do that for years. Hence the IFALPA recruitment ban for Belfast based positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

This the wake up call Shannon Airport Management & Staff should have received 5 years ago. The stopover is dead & the easy gravy train that accompanied it is to go too. Shannon has a runway that can support long distance flights & probably 1m population catchment area so why no new destinations & airlines? Most of the country would prefer to fly from Shannon than Dublin given a choice.

The people in the Mid-West deserve what they get as they voted for FF. Sure only 4 1/2 years to the next General Election :p

Shannon Airport gave 100k redundancy to catering staff to more to private operator a few months ago. Sure even the staff that stayed with the Airport for a 16k payout. Why should the rest of us continue to subsidise such waste.

AL are clearly setting up a hub at Belfast so they will pay people via AL UK company with pay & conditions that comes with that. If they setup a hub in Spain they will employee people on Spanish conditions & pay.

Its difficult to describe how stupid Willie O'Dea is. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

McSpud wrote:
    The people in the Mid-West deserve what they get as they voted for FF. Sure only 4 1/2 years to the next General Election :p

People in Limerick East voted not for FF, but for Willie O'Dea. He's the Bertie of Limerick.

Unless Willie puts up a good enough show, the penny will drop with the voters that however much they like him, a vote for him was/is a vote for Fianna Fáil's PD-esque policies, which include abandoning Shannon, the Midwest, and pretty much the entire country, to market forces.

Still, at least there aren't any actual PDs elected in Limerick now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

I like the sensationalism, but the whole mezzogiorno assistance package of give the west more money is a proven failure, and the sooner that the work of the spud blight is finished, the sooner that the rest of the country that works can succeed.

Good luck to it, you can keep it, to hell or to Connaught, and I'm picking hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

McSpud wrote:
    Its difficult to describe how stupid Willie O'Dea is.
    :eek:

I think you over-estimate the Irish voters and under-estimate our politicians. I can guarantee you there are people in the Shannon area right now thinking the Moustache is the only politician standing up for them and will happily vote for him again because of it. If he wins, he's "a great man for the people" and if he loses "well at least he tried, them people up in Dublin don't care about us".

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Just thinking out loud here, but imagine had the irish government held the Heathrow slots as a separate company (maybe Irish Landings PLC) or similar, then they could offer them to whoever it believed should have them - such as Ryanair, Aer Lingus or Aer Arann.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

Red Alert wrote:
    Just thinking out loud here, but imagine had the irish government held the Heathrow slots as a separate company (maybe Irish Landings PLC) or similar, then they could offer them to whoever it believed should have them - such as Ryanair, Aer Lingus or Aer Arann.

Would have been a much better way of doing it but:

- Knowing our government they'd have made a cack-handed mess of it, screwing over passengers and airlines, delaying everything when they decide to commission another consultants report, defer making a decision until after the summer holidays and probably end up being taken to court by the EU for doing it improperly the whole time.

- The local lobby groups would be out in force, Shannon wanting all the slots for "regional development", Knock wanting them for "west aid" and no-one wanting Dublin to have them.

- Aer Lingus wouldn't have sold for half as much if it lost its most valuable assets and wasn't guaranteed to be able to rent them back from the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

interested to know why you think CDG a better outcome than LHR - are we talking about services or about ease of transfer?
    I've found CDG easier to negotiate than LHR for transfers. I'd imagine the choice of European routes from LHR and CDG is similar but I never fly long haul so I don't know how they compare on that. Also, there are good rail connections from CDG. Maybe Amsterdam would be even better?

I agree with McSpud, Willie O'Dea is exceptional, even by the standards of Irish politicians. It's our fault for electing people like him though.

RedAlert's idea is interesting. Would a foreign EU government be allowed to control the use of Heathrow slots? BAA mightn't like it, but maybe there would be nothing they could do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I also wondered about that before - they could have put the govt jets and some civil SAR helicopters on the AOC - but as markpb said the flotation was probably the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Belarus airline suspends winter service into Shannon.

Story on breakingnews.ie

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

From www.shannonairport.com

European Hub Airport Incentive
    Shannon Airport has specifically identified airline services to the key European Hub airports of London-Heathrow (LHR), Paris (CDG), Amsterdam (AMS) and Frankfurt Main (FRA) as being of key strategic importance to its ongoing development.

In this regard an airline that initiates a service schedule that maximises the connecting opportunities for business and tourism development, in accordance with the scheme criteria, will benefit from reduced airport charges over a five-year period.

http://www.shannonairport.com/documents/EuropeanHubAirportIncentiveScheme2008.pdf

Advertisement