Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai Drug Call

• 08-01-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I received a call from a man claiming to be from the Carlow Garda station a few days before Christmas, he was enquiring about the sale of marijuana in Carlow town and seemed to believe that I was part of some drug ring. I never took down the name or badge number as I thought it to be a prank call at first (I was called from a private number). I did buy a bit when I was in college in the IT but that was it plus I haven't been in Carlow since I graduated 2 years ago.

I'm sure this seems silly but the person on the phone was very threatening towards me, he kept telling me that he was personally going to beat me black and blue if I didn't give him the name of the person I bought it from but as I said its been a good few years since I was there last I honestly haven't got a clue what his name was (I'm sure it was fake anyway). I gave the man my name and he said he'd find me through my records from the I.T.

The call ended with him screaming down the phone telling me he was sending an armed garda unit and demanding I put my parents on the phone (I'm 24 years old).

I haven't heard anything since but in case this wasn't a prank and actually was the Gardai I was wondering if you would be able to advise me on what I should do in case I'm contacted again.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

You should ignore it, or if you have any real concerns for your safety, report this incident to the gardai, along with any re-occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Sounds like someone having a laugh at your expense tbh, prank call, personally I would pay no need.....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If a Garda ever calls you, the first thing they will tell you is their name and what station they are calling from.

If they ask for personal information or start talking about something like the above, you tell them you'll ring them back. Look up the phone number of the station, ring it back and ask to speak that to that Garda. You'll know straight away then if it's a valid conversation.

The Garda won't take offence to this, it's standard practice.

The above definitely sounds like a prank call. There's no way a Garda would ring you asking for the name of a dealer. If they suspected you to be involved in anything they'd be standing on your doorstep ready to break the door down if you didn't answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 adamtaylor

Thanks Seamus, that is a bit more reassuring.

The call happened around midnight and for the first few minutes I was joking and laughing but the badge number (wish I'd taken it down) and all of the different laws he was talking about that he could charge me under completely caught me off guard and scared me ****less (never had any interaction with the gardai before).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Buy a whistle!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

adamtaylor wrote: »
    Thanks Seamus, that is a bit more reassuring.

The call happened around midnight and for the first few minutes I was joking and laughing but the badge number (wish I'd taken it down) and all of the different laws he was talking about that he could charge me under completely caught me off guard and scared me ****less (never had any interaction with the gardai before).
    You still haven't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Keep a note of the date, time and content of the call. If it reoccurs do likewise and report it to the Gardaí. This behaviour is an offence under Postal Telecommunications law and possibly harassment laws.

Advertisement