Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He's also the champion in the third fight, so he must have gotten another shot at Aldo, having lost the first fight.

Why does a third match have to be a rubber match?
    Do you not think Aldo will too other contenders repeatedly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 frankel888

Aldo would ruin conor Mcgregor anyone who thinks anything other than a aldo rape scene is deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

It's very likely that Aldo has fought his last fight at featherweight, so we may never find out.

It's good for the division, and Conor IMO. It's very possible that Aldo will go through the lightweight roster just as easily as the featherweight one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 frankel888

It's very likely that Aldo has fought his last fight at featherweight, so we may never find out.

It's good for the division, and Conor IMO. It's very possible that Aldo will go through the lightweight roster just as easily as the featherweight one.

I like conor and love what hes brought to irish mma but the ufc is full of killers,love to see him doing well but there's some people I know personally getting carried away with the hype and I feel he is one of them,it can only end up in tears basically setting him up for a fall when or if he comes up short.

frankel888 wrote: »
    I like conor and love what hes brought to irish mma but the ufc is full of killers,love to see him doing well but there's some people I know personally getting carried away with the hype and I feel he is one of them,it can only end up in tears basically setting him up for a fall when or if he comes up short.

If he loses his next fight, or the one after, then yes he is goosed. But if he makes it as a solid top 5 or 10 guy in the division I think he'll be grand.

I don't think he's in danger of getting destroyed by anyone in his next couple of fights, barring a complete drop in form, as Dana wants to bring him along slowly.

Chael Sonnen has massively extended his career and maintained his profile by using his mouth despite a number of losses, and while that's not the route most people including myself would like to see Conor go down, it may work for him.

I don't expect Conor to become UFC champion, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Connor might be trying to do Chael but he can't pull it off, to me he's like Bisping people will pay to watch him fight either to see him win or lose and that'll keep Connor in a job.

I'd like to see how he would deal with getting destroyed, I'm guessing he would be very bad loser

Chael deserves huge respect he says says what he does he'll get in there and fight anyone literally anyone.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Chael deserves huge respect he says says what he does he'll get in there and fight anyone literally anyone.

Plenty of people will fight anyone. It's getting the public to care that's the hard part, hence the comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This thread is going down the ridiculous path the other thread went.
    Dissecting an advertisement for clothing a line. Over analyzing every comment.
    Deciding he's a bad loser before he has lost. Planning out his career is if he fights every opponent ion the future based on his ability at this time. Ridiculous.

Might be time to bow out of here until a fight is annouced.
    Jesus, I realised that he return could be in Dublin, imagine the carnage around here when thats announced

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Mellor wrote: »
    This thread is going down the ridiculous path the other thread went.
    Dissecting an advertisement for clothing a line. Over analyzing every comment.
    Deciding he's a bad loser before he has lost. Planning out his career is if he fights every opponent ion the future based on his ability at this time. Ridiculous.

Might be time to bow out of here until a fight is annouced.
    Jesus, I realised that he return could be in Dublin, imagine the carnage around here when thats announced

Haters gonna hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Gumbi wrote: »
    Haters gonna hate.

That is way too overused but I really do think people are on the Haterade when it comes to Conor.
    1. Its an ad for his sponsors. Lighten up
    2. Everyone who reached a certain level of success is probably going to be a bad loser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just got to see this now, I like the ad. He's having the craic looking at what his future holds, nothing to read into.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

There's an awful lot of talk of "haters" etc but people don't seem to understand it's not as simple as that!

Conor is not on the same page as the likes of a Chael Sonnen. Chael does all the talking and comes across like a WWE character because that's what the act is. He plays the heel. He's very very smart and he's been able to talk himself into many many big fights. He has insulted fighters, fans, entire countries...... but everyone knows that it's not real. It's an act! THis isn't what Conor is doing!

Conor seriously believes he is the best in the world. That is fine. And there is nothing wrong with confidence. A lot of people don't like when sports people claim to be the best. Look at the hate for Jon Jones when he said he was the best. And this is a guy who is in his mid 20s and has beaten all of the best fighters on the planet. He's been the undisputed champion of the world for 3 years!

However, there are certain things about Conor that rub people up the wrong way. The type of confidence Conor has is mixed strongly with arrogance. Arrogance is not a nice trait! Especially when it manifests itself in such a way that he is insulting fighters in his weight class

MrStuffins wrote: »
    There's an awful lot of talk of "haters" etc but people don't seem to understand it's not as simple as that!

Conor is not on the same page as the likes of a Chael Sonnen. Chael does all the talking and comes across like a WWE character because that's what the act is. He plays the heel. He's very very smart and he's been able to talk himself into many many big fights. He has insulted fighters, fans, entire countries...... but everyone knows that it's not real. It's an act! THis isn't what Conor is doing!

Conor seriously believes he is the best in the world. That is fine. And there is nothing wrong with confidence. A lot of people don't like when sports people claim to be the best. Look at the hate for Jon Jones when he said he was the best. And this is a guy who is in his mid 20s and has beaten all of the best fighters on the planet. He's been the undisputed champion of the world for 3 years!

However, there are certain things about Conor that rub people up the wrong way. The type of confidence Conor has is mixed strongly with arrogance. Arrogance is not a nice trait! Especially when it manifests itself in such a way that he is insulting fighters in his weight class

I agree to an extent but at the same time there is definitely an element of showmanship to what he is doing. Going after Diego Sanchez in the way that he did seemed very like fight-manufacture to me.

I don't take everything Conor says seriously, you can see that he's having the craic half the time. Hopefully he'll get good news from his current trip to the states and we'll get a fight announcement soon.

Where it goes from there is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

I think Connor think he's that famous although theres a poster saying Mcgregor Adlo 3.Do that mean Connor has lost at least once against Aldo.3 being a rubber match?:confused:

Don't overthink it , its just an ad , i doubt he thinks he's the next Bond either ;)

Hoki wrote: »
    Don't overthink it , its just an ad , i doubt he thinks he's the next Bond either ;)

Interesting you said that
    He’s already a Mixed Martial Arts champion and UFC contender, and now Conor McGregor is also set to become a TV star.

The Irish fighter has revealed that television and film bosses have been in contact with him about possible roles on screen.

But the Dublin athlete intends to win the UFC world champion title before branching out.
    I only know one thing, that the UFC gold belt will be wrapped around my waist by December 2014 that’s all I know.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/other-sport/conor-mcgregor-already-conquered-ring-3195902

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Dec 2014?? That's pretty soon, if he fights in July, then again in Sept and a title shot in December? I've seen stranger things happen but....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Didn't Nate Quarry recently say that all fighters on the roster got a $400 gift cert to spend in the UFC store as a Crimbo bonus, maybe that's what Conor's gonna buy with his

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

I agree to an extent but at the same time there is definitely an element of showmanship to what he is doing. Going after Diego Sanchez in the way that he did seemed very like fight-manufacture to me.

I don't take everything Conor says seriously, you can see that he's having the craic half the time. Hopefully he'll get good news from his current trip to the states and we'll get a fight announcement soon.

Where it goes from there is anyone's guess.

It's also how he talks about legends of the sport while having done nothing of note himself, ask your self this, if he was not irish would you still like him? Nothing wrong with being a hater on someone who acts like a dick! Conner could learn a thing or two on how to conduct himself from the likes of seery. Of course if if goes on to actually beat a top ten fighter then he has a right to talk a bit of smack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

gallag wrote: »
    It's also how he talks about legends of the sport while having done nothing of note himself, ask your self this, if he was not irish would you still like him? Nothing wrong with being a hater on someone who acts like a dick! Conner could learn a thing or two on how to conduct himself from the likes of seery. Of course if if goes on to actually beat a top ten fighter then he has a right to talk a bit of smack.

You bring what got you to the dance. Conor has always been a big personality. People who hadn't taken note of him before the UFC called won't have seen the hard work he has put in over the years and the personality he has always had.
    He has been called "The Notorious" for a long long time in fairness.

Perhaps everyone telling him how he should act should consider becoming sports agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Apparently Conor is passing tests. Wonder how long before his comeback fight will be announced.

1620626_649747605093542_1733081105_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Apparently Conor is passing tests. Wonder how long before his comeback fight will be announced.

1620626_649747605093542_1733081105_n.jpg

19th July in Dublin??

I'd love to see the other nine pages on that report. I'd imagine he didn't get a perfect score in all of them.

Is there live coverage of the Q&A today from England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

I'd love to see the other nine pages on that report. I'd imagine he didn't get a perfect score in all of them.

Negativity isnt welcome here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ray Mond wrote: »
    Negativity isnt welcome here

Yeah, didn't you know negativity is just a state of mind? :)

Thats Conors worst page every other result is better, medical scientists from all over the world will use his results to better medical science, no one trains harder than Conor no one heals better than Conor.He'll tell you that himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Thats Conors worst page every other result is better, medical scientists from all over the world will use his results to better medical science, no one trains harder than Conor no one heals better than Conor.He'll tell you that himself.

So will 95% of fighters out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

seiphil wrote: »
    So will 95% of fighters out there.

You missed the aul sarcasm in that post man...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement