Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sneaking sweets into cinema

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

They tried to tell me i couldn't bring in me bottle of water once. It was Lord of the Rings and I couldn't go that long without a drink. So I just told them I had a condition and I needed it to live.

Of course the condition is being a human but I wasn' going to point that out to em.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

kegzmc wrote: »
    What are the consequences if caught? Can they refuse you entry?

Are you seriously worried about this OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

kegzmc wrote: »
    Can u bring boiled eggs in?
    if not,send em here-the chicks of mine love mashed boiled eggs.:pac:

am not a film appreciator let alone ever gone to a cinema,but have never understood why they do not allow outside snacks/drinks to come in,its almost like blackmail to some degree,disgusting considering majority of people who go probably dont really have the money knocking around for tickets/cinema snacks/their families tickets etc.

wonder if they woud be as tight to refuse a diabetic a person bringing in a bottle of lucozade in with them in case they had a hypo?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I usually hide my contraband in my man bag :cool:

By contraband do you mean a packet of m&m's stealthily procured from the newsagents across the road, with a net profit of about 7 cent?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

Most cinemas frown upon it because they make alot of their income from the sale of sweets and popcorn, they don't make much off ticket sales. I've seen signs up in some theatres but in fairness the person that rips your ticket at the door doesnt give a shit.

Besides was at the cinema in Melbourne the other night and they wanted $24 for 2 drinks and a popcorn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

also here a tip for the cheapskate/thief among you. Fill a bag full of pickamix and put the bag into a popcorn box, fill the box full of popcorn, conclusion- free sweets

Note; only works in theatres where you fill the popcorn yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

They can not legally search you. Sometimes police officers can. They have to ask 'may we search you' or 'we are going to search you now. is that ok' or something similar. They have to ask for permission unless they are arresting you in which case they will bring you down to police station and do it there. They have to state under what act/law that you are being arrested.

either way to the best of my knowledge no security staff / cinima staff have any right to search anybody.

I always just put sweets or whatever in my pockets and never had any bother.

Would have no bother buying stuff in the cinima if the prices were inline with what they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Scruffles wrote: »
    if not,send em here-the chicks of mine love mashed boiled eggs.:pac:

am not a film appreciator let alone ever gone to a cinema,but have never understood why they do not allow outside snacks/drinks to come in,its almost like blackmail to some degree,disgusting considering majority of people who go probably dont really have the money knocking around for tickets/cinema snacks/their families tickets etc.

wonder if they woud be as tight to refuse a diabetic a person bringing in a bottle of lucozade in with them in case they had a hypo?

Some refuse it cause it makes them more profit, they sell the goods for a dearer price ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

They can not legally search you. Sometimes police officers can. They have to ask 'may we search you' or 'we are going to search you now. is that ok' or something similar. They have to ask for permission unless they are arresting you in which case they will bring you down to police station and do it there. They have to state under what act/law that you are being arrested.

either way to the best of my knowledge no security staff / cinima staff have any right to search anybody.

I always just put sweets or whatever in my pockets and never had any bother.

Would have no bother buying stuff in the cinima if the prices were inline with what they should be.

I'm sure the judge would issue a search warrant for a bag of jellys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

its not that hard even if it isnt allowed, me and the mates brought a few KFC meals into a movie just in a backpack a while ago :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

I knew it was frowned upon but I didn't know it's actually against the rules / not allowed to bring in your own sweets.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the sweet smugglers from now on .. They can buy my silence with maltesers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I heard of someone cutting a hole in the bottom of their popcorn box before. I'm not sure, but i think it was so they could put a bag under it, as it was being filled, and get loads of extra popcorn free.

everywhere i go i carry a bagpack so its easy for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Former Cinema worker here.

Its usually the dole crown that tried to smuggle in goodies.

Therefore the answer is to cut the dole.

Former worker..... As in back on the dole :p

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

blobby360 wrote: »
    Former Cinema worker here.

Its usually the dole crown that tried to smuggle in goodies.

Therefore the answer is to cut the dole.

Former worker..... As in back on the dole :p

Brought a packet of after 8's a chocolate fry and 4 boiled eggs to movie last night.

Wasn't a bother. Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

You have to everything you brought in before the movie starts

Advertisement