Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Charities

• 02-12-2011 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Like many of you will do in the coming weeks, I donated a few quid yesterday.

I got a confirmation email back (stock one) signed by their CEO. A quick Google on this person revealed he is on a salary of.................€120k a year!:eek: And two others in the organisation are on salaries of €100K a year. That's SIX THOUSAND EURO of funds raised ever week going to pay the wages of just THREE people. This is ridiculous. A salary of between 50 and 70k should be more than enough to pay someone in that position.

Ever since I found out that the CEO of Rehab was being paid a salary of €400K a year including bonuses, I just gave up donating to them.

Personally I think this type of carry-on is representative of all that is wrong with this country at present. Politicians (of all creeds) out of touch with the electorate, and sums of money being paid to people that you wouldn't see paid in the States.

It is truly sickening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

All charities can fook off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

cosmicfart wrote: »
    All charities can fook off

Your name can fook off!

Fart wrote: »
    Your name can fook off!

ur just jealous :) I seriously dont give to charities, I hate been harassed walking thru town by them Concern muppets, they dont even do it voluntary.

only charity i give to is money for guidedogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

cosmicfart wrote: »
    only charity i give to is money for guidedogs

Guidedogs can't use money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Like many of you will do in the coming weeks, I donated a few quid yesterday.

I got a confirmation email back (stock one) signed by their CEO. A quick Google on this person revealed he is on a salary of.................€120k a year!:eek: And two others in the organisation are on salaries of €100K a year. That's SIX THOUSAND EURO of funds raised ever week going to pay the wages of just THREE people. This is ridiculous. A salary of between 50 and 70k should be more than enough to pay someone in that position.

Ever since I found out that the CEO of Rehab was being paid a salary of €400K a year including bonuses, I just gave up donating to them.

Personally I think this type of carry-on is representative of all that is wrong with this country at present. Politicians (of all creeds) out of touch with the electorate, and sums of money being paid to people that you wouldn't see paid in the States.

It is truly sickening.

Oh look, this thread again.

Marvellous.

• Advertisement

Guidedogs can't use money.

Im going to kill u!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Oh look, this thread again.

Marvellous.

And your problem is?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Most of the big charities - Concern, Goal, Rehab, etc - pay industry-standard rates to management with the end result that the majority of your donation goes nowhere near the 3rd world. You may as well be pissing in the ocean for all the good your donations do.

I'd never give money to these wasters, especially those who employ chuggers (either the on-street or bell-ringers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

seamus wrote: »
    Most of the big charities - Concern, Goal, Rehab, etc - pay industry-standard rates to management with the end result that the majority of your donation goes nowhere near the 3rd world. You may as well be pissing in the ocean for all the good your donations do.

I'd never give money to these wasters, especially those who employ chuggers (either the on-street or bell-ringers).
    I never thought I'd say it, but I have to agree Seamus. I was flabbergasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

seamus wrote: »

I hate those people who come up to you in town (Dublin:p) around Xmas looking for money. They know you're doing some Christmas shopping so you have cash on you.
    I turned down this bitch after she went on and on even though I said I wasn't interested. Then when she finally got the message she shook her head at me and walked off snarling. I doubt she is giving any of her wages to charity, because shes wasn't doing it voluntarily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

But................ you also have to ask the question: is it worth it for the charities to have such high salaries for the top staff?

If they capped the salary at say €75K, a lot of the management may think: "fook this, I can do better elsewhere" and leave.

The lower salary on offer will then only attract people of a lesser ability and/or standard to the job. This in turn will have a negative effect on the charity as a whole, as these are the people running things.

Not saying I agree/disagree one way or the other, just thought I'd throw that into the mix as food for thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

I support Simon & Barnardos

None of yer concern thanksverymuch

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SmartHass

Is there such a thing as a best charity to give to, one that you know your money is hitting where it should?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If they capped the salary at say €75K, a lot of the management may think: "fook this, I can do better elsewhere" and leave.
    Charities occupy a space whereby they can attract good candidates to do the work because they want to. Someone who demands a six-figure sum to run a charity is more interested in the six-figure sum than the idea of charity and there's an argument there that they will not act in the best interests of charity but in the business's best interests. Which aren't necessarily aligned.

In my experience, it's the charities who manage to get people to work their asses off for poor wages or nothing at all who achieve the most. The big charities appear to collect a lot of money but achieve relatively very little.

The CEO of concern gets raises and bonusses on the basis of how many more donations the business brings in this year, not based on what they actually achieve.
    Is there such a thing as a best charity to give to, one that you know your money is hitting where it should?
    If you want your euro to have the biggest impact, stay local. Obviously this doesn't help anyone in the 3rd world, but I can't really help with charities on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

SmartHass wrote: »

Course there are, it just depends on where your interest is. I have an account with Kiva. It's not so much charity, it's lending to people starting their own business in the third world. I added $100 to my account a few years ago, and sporadically I add $25. I give $25 to a loan I approve of, and it gets paid back over about 9mnth to a year with nominal interest. Once I get it back I lend it again, and donate to kivas running costs. I have used that original $100 so many times. I like it as a system, don't think I can call it charity, but I can't think of a better word for it.

I do also throw a few bob to local stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That woman would be elated if she managed to get her staff to work for ten Euro a week, but she wouldn't take a one cent hit on her wad.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SmartHass

RachaelVO wrote: »

Course there are, it just depends on where your interest is. I have an account with Kiva. It's not so much charity, it's lending to people starting their own business in the third world. I added $100 to my account a few years ago, and sporadically I add $25. I give $25 to a loan I approve of, and it gets paid back over about 9mnth to a year with nominal interest. Once I get it back I lend it again, and donate to kivas running costs. I have used that original $100 so many times. I like it as a system, don't think I can call it charity, but I can't think of a better word for it.

I do also throw a few bob to local stuff!

Thats a cool idea, gonna have a look into kiva, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

And your problem is?

You have no idea what you're talking about?
    This shitheap of a thread will end in the same kind of stupid bollocks as it always does?

Pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Sooopie wrote: »
    I support Simon & Barnardos

None of yer concern thanksverymuch

Fergus Finlay runs Barnardos and he gets €120,000 per year.

The average industrial wage would be plenty if he really was a selfless caring kind person.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

woodoo wrote: »
    Fergus Finlay runs Barnardos and he gets €120,000 per year.

*GRABS PITCHFORK*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

It annoys me when people think charities are supposed to be run solely out of the goodness of people’s hearts. Professional staff are needed to run charities just like with any other type of organisation and if you want qualified and professional staff then they must be paid a satisfactory wage. I am not advocating for huge salaries, but people seem to think that running a charity should be done out of the goodness of one’s heart. If that’s the case, let’s go back to the ‘good old’ missionary days. Perhaps we should be more interested in standards, accountability, effectiveness, sustainability, and change.

jaja321 wrote: »
    It annoys me when people think charities are supposed to be run solely out of the goodness of people’s hearts. Professional staff are needed to run charities just like with any other type of organisation and if you want qualified and professional staff then they must be paid a satisfactory wage. I am not advocating for huge salaries, but people seem to think that running a charity should be done out of the goodness of one’s heart. If that’s the case, let’s go back to the ‘good old’ missionary days. Perhaps we should be more interested in standards, accountability, effectiveness, sustainability, and change.

90% of Oxfam staff volunteer so ur talking thru ur peephole. People on the dole should be make to work in charities. I except there needs to be some paid management but it should only equate to something like 5% of the monies taken out for wages. i dont give to charity when knowingly it going to pay for someone beer or whateveer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Kill all charities with fire:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I also done some charity work in the past and I can kinda see where the CEO is comming from - The 13e an hour was nice but the feeling of satisfaction I got knowing I was helping some poor kid in Africa made the job so worth while/

I’m afraid it is you 'cosmicfart' who is talking through their peephole. I shall entertain you no longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

jaja321 wrote: »
    I’m afraid it is you 'cosmicfart' who is talking through their peephole. I shall entertain you no longer.

Ah hello Fergus i didn't know it was you there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Mugged on an almost daily basis by that Concern mob. It's a game of cat and mouse outside Central Bank trying to avoid them.

No time for them. Don't know where the money is going. I'd rather help the homeless, especially at Christmas.

woodoo wrote: »
    Ah hello Fergus i didn't know it was you there :)
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Thats a cool idea, gonna have a look into kiva, cheers

It really is! I think it's such a great concept. The site is www.kiva.org and the min loan for any project/business is $25. I like that, cos $100 can go to 4 loans and then when you get it back it can keep on going. Now I do add an extra $25 every once in while, it usually just depends on the loans that need funding. It's simple but very effective. You get updates on how it's all going and how they are building up their business. You also get ratings on their field partners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

RachaelVO wrote: »
    It really is! I think it's such a great concept. The site is www.kiva.org and the min loan for any project/business is $25. I like that, cos $100 can go to 4 loans and then when you get it back it can keep on going. Now I do add an extra $25 every once in while, it usually just depends on the loans that need funding. It's simple but very effective. You get updates on how it's all going and how they are building up their business. You also get ratings on their field partners.

Going to have a look at that myself.I work for a charity, am going to work for another after Christmas ...but I wouldnt give either of them money.Though I do donate clothes,shoes and a skill I have and sometimes my time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement