Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

he's such a ladies man :D
    he definitely looks like a lady with all that make up on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Mixed feeelings about Tony Browne playing tbh, firstly from a completely selfish Tipperary viewpoint its great, I cant see him containing anyone of those 6 forwards we have and he will be exposed for pace I have no doubt.

But from a hurling fans view, thats not something I want to see, Tony is a legend of the game, a true gentleman on and off the field and one of the greatest Gaels of the last 30 years, and it would be a shame to see him been run ragged, obviously I want Tipp to win but I sincerely hope that Tony Browne emerges from the game with he's lofty reputation still in tact, he will with me and im sure alot of others regardless, but unfortunately alot of 'fans' these days are very fickle and have short memories.

Tipp are obviously cocky and yere entitled to be. Young lads like the 3 Mahers and and Noel McGrath have already won as much if not more than what Tony Browne has won in his entire career. But when has Tony Browne yet to be 'found out' or caught for pace? I have never seen it. I think the fact that hes 39 years old people just assume he 'past it'. But this is no ordinary 39 year old. This guy is a freak of nature. He has the fitness level now of an average man in... well we'll say late 20s/early 30s. Forget about his age and judge the man on form and fitness levels. Then you'll get a more balanced view of where hes at. I have no worries about Tony on Sunday. When Tonys time is eventually up, he'll be the first to recognise it himself

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Mixed feeelings about Tony Browne playing tbh, firstly from a completely selfish Tipperary viewpoint its great, I cant see him containing anyone of those 6 forwards we have and he will be exposed for pace I have no doubt.
    But from a hurling fans view, thats not something I want to see, Tony is a legend of the game, a true gentleman on and off the field and one of the greatest Gaels of the last 30 years, and it would be a shame to see him been run ragged, obviously I want Tipp to win but I sincerely hope that Tony Browne emerges from the game with he's lofty reputation still in tact, he will with me and im sure alot of others regardless, but unfortunately alot of 'fans' these days are very fickle and have short memories.
    Tipp are obviously cocky and yere entitled to be. Young lads like the 3 Mahers and and Noel McGrath have already won as much if not more than what Tony Browne has won in his entire career. But when has Tony Browne yet to be 'found out' or caught for pace? I have never seen it. I think the fact that hes 39 years old people just assume he 'past it'. But this is no ordinary 39 year old. This guy is a freak of nature. He has the fitness level now of an average man in... well we'll say late 20s/early 30s. Forget about his age and judge the man on form and fitness levels. Then you'll get a more balanced view of where hes at. I have no worries about Tony on Sunday. When Tonys time is eventually up, he'll be the first to recognise it himself
    Well said... Come on Tony prove them all wrong on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Rumour have it, Michael Ryan is puttin 3 large bottles in the back of the Tipp goal for Mullane...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Roll on sunday i wish the entire team the best of luck ,here,s to munster #10,i also would like to add the fact that im sure the tipp lads will have a serious time on sunday trying to keep our lads quiet ,i can hear it now "right lads hands up who wants to keep tabs on Kevin Moran or Molumphy, and what ever ye do dont leave the brick out with the ball ,if Shane Walsh gets the ball in his hand lads its a ****ing goal end of story, let alone mullane and the rest ,cmon the DEISE,Crikey if this is not the most positive post ive ever done ,capital letters ,commas ,and full stops ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Roll on sunday i wish the entire team the best of luck ,here,s to munster #10,i also would like to add the fact that im sure the tipp lads will have a serious time on sunday trying to keep our lads quiet ,i can hear it now "right lads hands up who wants to keep tabs on Kevin Moran or Molumphy, and what ever ye do dont leave the brick out with the ball ,if Shane Walsh gets the ball in his hand lads its a ****ing goal end of story, let alone mullane and the rest ,cmon the DEISE,Crikey if this is not the most positive post ive ever done ,capital letters ,commas ,and full stops ,

u might be a numpty but ur our numpty... hon the deise

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Here's to a cracking final on Sunday, close game to call. Nobody here in Tipp is underestimating Waterford, we know better, we've been burned before. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    This could be like our fields of Athenry or you'll never walk alone ;)

Whats the connection of this song to Waterford.???

Tipp have some good songs Slievenamon and Galtee Mountain Boy to name but a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

PTH2009 wrote: »

You obviously didnt listen to the chorus(about 1 min in). '' Beneath the Comeraghs, near my sweet Dungarvan town''

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Tipp have some good songs Slievenamon and Galtee Mountain Boy to name but a few[/QUOTE.
    "Dungarvan My Home Town", we gave it a great blast in 02,"The Old Dungarvan Oak," "Fare Thee Well Lovely Deise" this was sang at a funeral of a great friend of mine who loved his native county which I think is one of the nice'st songs from Waterford. I have a friend from Tipp who does a great version of this song and he is amazed this is not our anthem.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

mccarthy37 wrote: »

Tipp have some good songs Slievenamon and Galtee Mountain Boy to name but a few[/QUOTE.
    "Dungarvan My Home Town", we gave it a great blast in 02,"The Old Dungarvan Oak," "Fare Thee Well Lovely Deise" this was sang at a funeral of a great friend of mine who loved his native county which I think is one of the nice'st songs from Waterford. I have a friend from Tipp who does a great version of this song and he is amazed this is not our anthem.
    [/Quote]

I thought "Don't Stop Believin'" was our anthem?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

I thought "Don't Stop Believin'" was our anthem?? :P[/QUOTE]

After 2008 the Anthem to our nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

"Dungarvan My Home Town", we gave it a great blast in 02,"The Old Dungarvan Oak," "Fare Thee Well Lovely Deise" this was sang at a funeral of a great friend of mine who loved his native county which I think is one of the nice'st songs from Waterford. I have a friend from Tipp who does a great version of this song and he is amazed this is not our anthem.

I thought "Don't Stop Believin'" was our anthem?? :P[/Quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Deskjockey wrote: »

I thought "Don't Stop Believin'" was our anthem?? :P
    [/Quote]

Me too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Tipp are obviously cocky and yere entitled to be.

You are the second Waterford poster to claim this, would mind showing me some proof of this or are you spoofing??

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

3-4 to 1-6. in favour of cork. scored two goals from play. and the goalie got one from a penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

WumBuster wrote: »
    You obviously didnt listen to the chorus(about 1 min in). '' Beneath the Comeraghs, near my sweet Dungarvan town''
    we'll be singing it's a long way to Tipperary at 5.30 on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭duinegorm

PTH2009 wrote: »

I can't believe I have never heard this song, a beautiful song!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Did anyone else visit Fraher Field this evening. €8 to get into such an awful game was a lot to ask for. The County Board should be giving those that turned up the €8 for doing so.

Speaking of the County Board, have all the elected officers stood down. I did not see any of them at the game. Thats not to say they were there, just i did not see any. I bet they will be all in Cork tomorrow in the best seats. Bye the way does anyone know, do officers pay for entry into these games, and do the people that sit on the various committees also have to pay. Also there was no linesmen in Fraher Field is assist the referee in a game that had the potential to spill over, There was no team sheets, there was no PA system working. With no County Board officer (to the best of my knowledge) and i assume that the gate men had left as early as they could, If something was to happen to someone in the stand, who would have to go and open the gates to let in an Ambulance. Most of them could not fit under the main gate and have to use the one at the corner of the show grounds. Would Ollie have to leave his score board duties to go across and open it.

Was listening to the Limerick and Clare game on the radio, and have to say a big thank you to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Well, Munster Final day is just about here, and I for one am quite interested to see how things go on Sunday. Regardless of result, I think the most important thing tomorrow will be the performance. I guess Tipp will be feeling the same, with the odd murmurrings of discontent in the camp, and close enough scares by both Limerick and Cork, where under different circumstances, either team may have come away victorious.

Regarding ourselves, I can't help but feel things are progressing relatively nicely since the upheaval earlier in the season, and the turnaround since the Galway game in the league. Stylistically, I like what I see from Waterford, with plenty of other green shoots, although we are far from the finished article. My underlying feeling is we are proceeding nicely, perhaps not for ultimate glory this year, but all in all proceeding nicely with further games helping to bring us on.

Obviously we go to Cork tomorrow, being written off big time, in lieu of the competition, the account we gave of ourselves in the fixture last year, and also the upheaval of earlier this year. In one way this seems a little odd, given how close both Limerick and Cork have run Tipp thus far, but in other ways I can see how to have the beating of Tipp tomorrow, we will have to step up a lot in a number of areas. At the bottom of it all, the long odds we face these days would seem to be more a product of people really believing whether we can do the latter, as opposed to questioning the former.

I think potentially we can beat Tipp, but at the same time feel this game has come too early, and to do so will require a big step up from us, and many of our players. This is imminently possible, and why tomorrows performance will be so interesting I think, to get an idea where we stand. The impression I get is that Michael Ryan tends to encourage players to take personal responsibility, and if that is the case, I think it is something that bodes well as for a while now, we have a number of promising players whose senior careers have not exactly taken off in a blaze of glory yet.

The inclusion of Tony Browne in the team tomorrow, would seem to the thing that is causing most some consternation, and to be honest, I would have to say I have my reservations about Tony starting tomorrow, as valued a servant of Waterford hurling he has been. My main fear would be that in a straight 6 on 6, Tony might be badly caught for pace, unless our gameplan is to involve lending him additional support, or utilising him in some form where his role is not a straight man marking one.

If I was Tipp, I would put Bonnar Maher on Tony to run the legs off him, as well as putting Noel McGrath on Brick to expose Brick's remit to act as a covering centre back, and those would be the two things I would most fear from Tipp tomorrow. Aside from that, I am pretty happy with the rest of the team, aside from the usual concerns over the ability of our half forward line to win primary possession.

I think Seamus Prendergast at centre forward to break ball has done a lot to patch up our weaknesses in that area, and his rejuvenation has been impressive, thus far. I very much hope it will continue, as Seamus is far from the finished article as a centre forward for us, and needs to supply as much ball as he wins. In the long run, I would hope we would be identifying a player who is good in the air, with a strong engine, and making him watch Bonner Maher videos, as a Bonner Maher type player would be everything I think we could hope for at centre forward at present.

Tactically, I hope we go out tomorrow with a plan on how to capitalise on Tipps weaknesses. All teams have them, and as Galway showed, even the seemingly invulnerable Kilkenny can be laid low with the combination of a clinical gameplan allied to application of effort and skill.

In any event, Up the Déise!

• Advertisement

Black Suir wrote: »
    Did anyone else visit Fraher Field this evening. €8 to get into such an awful game was a lot to ask for. The County Board should be giving those that turned up the €8 for doing so.

Speaking of the County Board, have all the elected officers stood down. I did not see any of them at the game. Thats not to say they were there, just i did not see any. I bet they will be all in Cork tomorrow in the best seats. Bye the way does anyone know, do officers pay for entry into these games, and do the people that sit on the various committees also have to pay. Also there was no linesmen in Fraher Field is assist the referee in a game that had the potential to spill over, There was no team sheets, there was no PA system working. With no County Board officer (to the best of my knowledge) and i assume that the gate men had left as early as they could, If something was to happen to someone in the stand, who would have to go and open the gates to let in an Ambulance. Most of them could not fit under the main gate and have to use the one at the corner of the show grounds. Would Ollie have to leave his score board duties to go across and open it.

Was listening to the Limerick and Clare game on the radio, and have to say a big thank you to Limerick.

I'm curious, any reason for the sentiment above?

I'm curious, any reason for the sentiment above?

if we lose tommorow it'll be an open draw against either Limerick or Cork. Both sides have been improving dramatically of late but are both beatable in an AI QF, I would slighly prefer Limerick but i thought they looked quite good this evening, in patches. But anyway, we'll try and win tommorow first and see then what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Well, Munster Final day is just about here, and I for one am quite interested to see how things go on Sunday. Regardless of result, I think the most important thing tomorrow will be the performance. I guess Tipp will be feeling the same, with the odd murmurrings of discontent in the camp, and close enough scares by both Limerick and Cork, where under different circumstances, either team may have come away victorious.

Regarding ourselves, I can't help but feel things are progressing relatively nicely since the upheaval earlier in the season, and the turnaround since the Galway game in the league. Stylistically, I like what I see from Waterford, with plenty of other green shoots, although we are far from the finished article. My underlying feeling is we are proceeding nicely, perhaps not for ultimate glory this year, but all in all proceeding nicely with further games helping to bring us on.

Obviously we go to Cork tomorrow, being written off big time, in lieu of the competition, the account we gave of ourselves in the fixture last year, and also the upheaval of earlier this year. In one way this seems a little odd, given how close both Limerick and Cork have run Tipp thus far, but in other ways I can see how to have the beating of Tipp tomorrow, we will have to step up a lot in a number of areas. At the bottom of it all, the long odds we face these days would seem to be more a product of people really believing whether we can do the latter, as opposed to questioning the former.

I think potentially we can beat Tipp, but at the same time feel this game has come too early, and to do so will require a big step up from us, and many of our players. This is imminently possible, and why tomorrows performance will be so interesting I think, to get an idea where we stand. The impression I get is that Michael Ryan tends to encourage players to take personal responsibility, and if that is the case, I think it is something that bodes well as for a while now, we have a number of promising players whose senior careers have not exactly taken off in a blaze of glory yet.

The inclusion of Tony Browne in the team tomorrow, would seem to the thing that is causing most some consternation, and to be honest, I would have to say I have my reservations about Tony starting tomorrow, as valued a servant of Waterford hurling he has been. My main fear would be that in a straight 6 on 6, Tony might be badly caught for pace, unless our gameplan is to involve lending him additional support, or utilising him in some form where his role is not a straight man marking one.

If I was Tipp, I would put Bonnar Maher on Tony to run the legs off him, as well as putting Noel McGrath on Brick to expose Brick's remit to act as a covering centre back, and those would be the two things I would most fear from Tipp tomorrow. Aside from that, I am pretty happy with the rest of the team, aside from the usual concerns over the ability of our half forward line to win primary possession.

I think Seamus Prendergast at centre forward to break ball has done a lot to patch up our weaknesses in that area, and his rejuvenation has been impressive, thus far. I very much hope it will continue, as Seamus is far from the finished article as a centre forward for us, and needs to supply as much ball as he wins. In the long run, I would hope we would be identifying a player who is good in the air, with a strong engine, and making him watch Bonner Maher videos, as a Bonner Maher type player would be everything I think we could hope for at centre forward at present.

Tactically, I hope we go out tomorrow with a plan on how to capitalise on Tipps weaknesses. All teams have them, and as Galway showed, even the seemingly invulnerable Kilkenny can be laid low with the combination of a clinical gameplan allied to application of effort and skill.

In any event, Up the Déise!

Hmmm this lovely use of the English language sounds vaguely familiar.. The voice of Waterford gaa no?

if we lose tommorow it'll be an open draw against either Limerick or Cork. Both sides have been improving dramatically of late but are both beatable in an AI QF, I would slighly prefer Limerick but i thought they looked quite good this evening, in patches. But anyway, we'll try and win tommorow first and see then what happens.

I can understand that alright, although to be honest I would view Limerick and Cork as roughly equal threats. Both are building, although I suppose Cork seemed a little ahead of them earlier in the year, at this stage of the year I'm not so sure. Limerick showed again tonight that they have goals in them, although they were not so clinical, and you would wonder if they would have the same goal potential against sterner opposition. In any case, a good win for them tonight. Seeing Clare though, sure did bring back all the reasons I am glad Davy is gone! :)

glick6 wrote: »
    Hmmm this lovely use of the English language sounds vaguely familiar.. The voice of Waterford gaa no?

Ha ha, not quite. Just a passionate Déise hurling fan :)

I can understand that alright, although to be honest I would view Limerick and Cork as roughly equal threats. Both are building, although I suppose Cork seemed a little ahead of them earlier in the year, at this stage of the year I'm not so sure. Limerick showed again tonight that they have goals in them, although they were not so clinical, and you would wonder if they would have the same goal potential against sterner opposition. In any case, a good win for them tonight. Seeing Clare though, sure did bring back all the reasons I am glad Davy is gone! :)

Ya definitely. Their style of play is ridiculous with all that short passing and a two man full forward line they were trying to win the game by scoring points out the field, never threatened a goal even when Limerick got 3. I think we're well rid of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

Just seen the weather after the late news on rte 1, they gave the weather after and for the munster final. They had Cork V Waterford wrote across the map instead of Tipp :D Up the Deise.

calerbass wrote: »
    Just seen the weather after the late news on rte 1, they gave the weather after and for the munster final. They had Cork V Waterford wrote across the map instead of Tipp :D Up the Deise.

That was at the request of the munster council as to ensure Waterford actually turn up, didnt want to frighten them away;)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

That was at the request of the munster council as to ensure Waterford actually turn up, didnt want to frighten them away;)

and here we have another one of those cocky tipp supporters :D

• Advertisement

and here we have another one of those cocky tipp supporters :D

Yep humour equals cocky

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement