Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any planned protest marches?

Options
  • 19-11-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there are any planned protested marches for this weekend? By this I mean anti current government marches.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

God, I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Uriel. wrote: »
    God, I hope not.

Why?

I'm astonished that all this is happening without riots on the street. A loud peaceful protest at what is going on should be the least we are doing.

We have been put in this position by our inept government but also because of the financial chess that is going on right now with the major currencies.. Ireland shouldn't be bullied into this without some sort of revolt.

It's not much but I have started a protest group on facebook and hopefully if it takes off something could be organized in the coming days.

If you feel the same please do join up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Faustino wrote: »
    Why?

I'm astonished that all this is happening without riots on the street. A loud peaceful protest at what is going on should be the least we are doing.

We have been put in this position by our inept government but also because of the financial chess that is going on right now with the major currencies.. Ireland shouldn't be bullied into this without some sort of revolt.

It's not much but I have started a protest group on facebook and hopefully if it takes off something could be organized in the coming days.

So we should kick out the people who can sort this out and let our own inept bunch of wasters go at it for a bit more and dig the place deeper into debt???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

I intend to make up some sort of placard tonight & take to the streets tomorrow. I don't care if I end up on my own, at least I will feel like I am doing something.

Count me in too. I know a lot more people who will as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wanting more protests against fiscal responsibility, wonderful.:rolleyes:

This government is done and I would love to say Fianna Fail is as well, but we all know they'll most likely be back in power in at most 10 years. There's little than can be done now, wrecking our own gaff isn't going to help, we just need to wait until the next election and aim to decimate FF to give them as little opportunity as possible to ever recover.

Count me in too. I know a lot more people who will as well.

Where will these people be meeting up? Was thinking the gates of the Dail but might be a little quite on a Saturday? Outside the GPO perhaps?

snollup wrote: »
    I intend to make up some sort of placard tonight & take to the streets tomorrow. I don't care if I end up on my own, at least I will feel like I am doing something.

What are you going to be protesting against???

The current Government. Demanding an immediate general election.

I started this group a few days ago in the hope that if people felt the same it could be a place where things could be organized in terms of demonstrations.

We haven't signed up for anything yet and we still have time to make our voices heard.

If this bailout goes through without even as much as a raised voice then we deserve what's going to happen to us over the next decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

OMG! The ultimate threat - a Facebook group!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

The ICTU are marching next weekend the 27th. Should be a big one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

apartently there's a demonstration (march to GPO) due for next saturday by all the lefties, maybe you can join them?

20Cent wrote: »
    The ICTU are marching next weekend the 27th. Should be a big one.

Why wait a week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I don't agree with you. Ireland is now in a situation where it needs IMF / EU support. As a condition of that support, we will have to adopt austerity measures, some of which will be universally unpopular.

It is going to be unpleasant but I see no alternative. Do you?

apartently there's a demonstration (march to GPO) due for next saturday by all the lefties, maybe you can join them?

Your so called lefties are part of the current government are they not??? Anyway, look at the state of the country after FF have been let run it for the best part of two decades. Any change would be an improvement.

Our government is irrelevant at this point. We made sure of that when we voted yes on Lisbon.

I'm protesting the ECB, IMF and especially the likes of France and Germany trying to dictate our taxation levels.

The German model is for all the smaller nations to take the funding, accept the drastic cuts and then in 10 years time the Eurozone as a whole will move forward.. has anyone questioned whether they are wrong?

The germans were more than happy to loan money at ridiculous rates when their economy wasn't in great shakes.. and now that they are in a good position they are turning the screw.

This is what we should be protesting..

OMG! The ultimate threat - a Facebook group!

I know it's not much but it's more than most of the country seem to be doing which is the most unsettling thing

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

There seems to be two different types of protests people are discussing here! Which one is this thread for?

- Protest against the Irish Government (as per OP)
    - Protest against IMF (Faustino)

Just make sure you know which one you are talking about here as they are both different entities.

Why?

Protesting is a waste of time, a significant cost to the State and is rarely peaceful or law abiding despite the good intentions of some of the protesters.

It causes traffic chaos, damages the operations of business' and is a general nuisance. Save your protests for election day.

• Advertisement

Protesting is a waste of time, a significant cost to the State and is rarely peaceful or law abiding despite the good intentions of some of the protesters.

It causes traffic chaos, damages the operations of business' and is a general nuisance. Save your protests for election day.

I'm sorry but what is happening right now is far bigger than any election day.
    FF are a bunch of gangsters but that doesn't mean any of the other parties are better equipped to be in government

I'm not getting into party politics here, this is purely about Ireland being backed into a corner to accept something we don't particularly need right at this minute.

Am I the only person who sees it like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

There seems to be two different types of protests people are discussing here! Which one is this thread for?

- Protest against the Irish Government (as per OP)
    - Protest against IMF (Faustino)

Just make sure you know which one you are talking about here as they are both different entities.

Which ones Ted and which ones Dougal?

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

Inquitus wrote: »
    Which ones Ted and which ones Dougal?

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

Funnily enough on the FB group i set up, I just said... what we don't need is a Father Ted style "down with this sort of thing"

FF are a bunch of gangsters but that doesn't mean any of the other parties are better equipped to be in government

I'm not getting into party politics here, this is purely about Ireland being backed into a corner to accept something we don't particularly need right at this minute.

Well I am not going to debate your rhetoric. Good Luck with your protest. Please don't cost the state anymore money and please don't cost business' anymore money (loss of business, damage to property).

Either way, I expect to wake up Monday morning and it be business as usual.

Well I am not going to debate your rhetoric. Good Luck with your protest. Please don't cost the state anymore money and please don't cost business' anymore money (loss of business, damage to property).

Either way, I expect to wake up Monday morning and it be business as usual.

I have no intention of costing the state money.

And seriously.. f**k off with your condescending remarks. Being angry about something is hardly rhetoric.

I have no intention of costing the state money.

And seriously.. f**k off with your condescending remarks. Being angry about something is hardly rhetoric.

hmmm nice language there.

So, will you be at the frontline of this protest. When you see Gardai on standby will that make you see red too, will then start throwing bricks and other missiles? Will you try storm a building?

Yeah we are all angry. Students were angry a few weeks a go and look what happened.

I think you might be. We certainly do need more money at the moment because we are still bailing out delinquent banks that will continue to need huge sums of money and we are running a country in terms of the provision of public services, that is twice the cost of what we are taking in by way of taxes.

Nobody will lend to us now, because they do not believe that we can repay our debt, so we do need funds, contrary to what you have said above.

The IMF coming here is the best thing to happen this country in 20 years I reckon, we will finally be forced to understand the actual value of money and we will no longer be allowed to continue throwing pallets of cash at our problems in this country. This is the reality of the situation and all this nonsense about loss of sovereignty is just political grandstanding and chest beating, and the media are as usual trying to heap more doom and gloom onto us because it sells papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

FoxT wrote: »
    I don't agree with you. Ireland is now in a situation where it needs IMF / EU support. As a condition of that support, we will have to adopt austerity measures, some of which will be universally unpopular.

It is going to be unpleasant but I see no alternative. Do you?

Ireland doesn't need any support, at least not for many months.
    Irish banks need the support.
    Do I see an alternative? Yes, I do. Renege on the bank guarantee, let the banks go to the wall and let the bondholders take the hit instead of the Irish taxpayer.
    Unless you want to mortgage your future and that of your kids to keeping Roman Abramovich and Swiss bankers in the style they've become accustomed to, that's what needs to be done.

Cause and effect my friend, for every action there's a reaction.. you act like a condescending prick and you get called one.

From the video I saw, the students were on the receiving end of quite the bashing.. similar to what happened on Dame Street years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-REt8kCjCRo&feature=player_embedded&has_verified=1

If you can't take a difference of opinion without descending to inappropriate language and name calling then it says it all about the type of protest you might lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

The IMF are the vultures, the fastest you realize that the better.
    Anyways, Ireland needs a loan (stop calling it a bail!).
    If not isolation, crisis and inflation will happen. Say goodbye to your savings.
    Going back to the pound will mean devaluation.

Now, people is taking this very calm. Protest will happen after the budget announcement, is the best time IMHO.

Advertisement