Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is the story behind this?

Options
  • 10-09-2009 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi... I was wondering if someone could explain to me the meaning or story behind "meeting at the Crossroads". At a concert, someone explained in earlier times, in Ireland, people would meet at the crossroads to talk, listen to music, tell stories, sing, dance, etc.. but I couldn't remember why that was.

Would anyone know and be so kind to share with me? Many Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

In the blues version, someone meets the devil at the crossroads, sells their soul to him and gets to be able to play the blues, i imagine the Irish version is a lot different.:D

Crossroads = junction of two roads presumably connecting maybe four communities -> handy place for people to meet.

Dancing at the crossroads was immortalised by Éamon de Valera ... but he didn't actually say it.

- see "The Ireland That We Dreamed of"
    http://www.rte.ie/laweb/ll/ll_t09b.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Many years ago, I heard that faction fights would take place at crossroads. The defender would take his position and draw a circle in the dust with his shillelagh. Then he would say "Now, let no man drive me out of here." This occurred in living memory. The only rule I heard of, was that there was no striking allowed below the belt!
    This was in Connemara.

Advertisement