Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I don't know what to do

• 27-10-2010 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work in a job that is slowly making me lose my mind, seriously.

I am a retail manager, recently got a crippling pay cut, which they said they had to do because the company was going to go under. Grand, if it saves jobs, i'll survive.
    Then I found out that dispite the company telling us everyone got that pay cut it was just at store level and a handful of Head Office jobs. I also then found out that dispite them telling us that the bonuses reward scheme was gone, again to save money, it's still in place (just renamed) for anyone who already has it and there is no way to qualify for it.

I'm forced to work on new systems that don't work. Make my store preform when I can't track how much money I'm making, how my staff are doing, or anything on these new computers. Today, my area manager ate the head off me for having an awful week last week and wouldn't accept the fact that I can't see how I'm doing so I don't know where I'm going wrong. I've had nephews/nieces/sons/daughters of the owners family come work in my store as their first part time job (none stay long) and been told to "babysit" them. I couldn't manage my staff properly because I was warned not to upset these little s*&ts. Customers are going mad at me daily because our service is much slower because our computers can't process as fast as our old 1993 models. I can't order in the stock I need- Head Office decided what I should get now. I can't decipline my staff- head office do that now. If I call Head Office for help or with a problem, it's always an answering machine and I never get a reply.

I'm in the company nearly 5 years. Have worked my way up to a store manager and am I damn good one. I am treated like an idiot by head office. I'm sorry, I'm a member of mensa, I'm no idiot (except for maybe enjoying working in retail).

Anyway long story short, since all this happened in the last 6 months, I've gotten anxiety and panic attacks and now I seem to have developed a mild form of OCD. I can't stop scrathing my arm when I get stressed. I'd a bad night the other night and was actually drawing blood from my arm before my OH stopped me.

I love (well I suppose loved) my job but I feel like it's breaking me down, I'm sure this just sounds like whining but I don't know how to explain it. I like doing a good job but they're making it impossible for me to do what I do best which is run my store.

Honestly, I want to leave, hand in my notice tomorrow- but I've nowhere to go yet (if anywhere is hiring), and I can't afford to live off the doel (let alone wait the couple of weeks to sign on).

I don't know what kind of an answer I expect to get here, I suppose I just needed to vent

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

First, keep the two issues separate (low pay & job satisfaction) otherwise it will drive you crazy. Keep an eye out for better paid jobs (I doubt there are any at the moment)

Just get on with your job. If the computer systems are slow, they're slow. If head office want to be in charge of procurement, leave it with them. If you're told to babysit nieces and nephews, just do it! It's your job and you can only do what is within your control.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you're concerned about your mental health (and given what you've said, you should be), then go to your GP and tell him/her what you just told us.

I'm not going to give any more advice here, 'cos I think it would be bordering on medical ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

My advise is to look after your health first, a job is only a job, speak to your GP, even if its only for a chat (you will be amazed how helpful just talking about a problem can be), then once you have your strenght back you can tackle what it is to wish to do concerning your job.

That is all I got, hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

Gonna take a guess here but it wouldnt happen to be Xtra-vision by any chance?

If it is and this is speaking from experience...get out now! I lasted 11 years there but the last 2 were horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Gotta be Xtravision

They introduced big pay cuts and their fancy new computer system is useless.

I also say get out now, there is no future in that company.
    Have a lookout for a better job and do your best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 monkey brain

It sounds like an awful situation and your work conditions are not helping you. As previous posters have advised, i would advise just do whatever they ask and try not to take stress on board WHILE your looking for any other job, that will not have such a negative impact on your mental health. I know it must be really hard on you now but you health is your priority, so you should do anything that will make things easier for you in the meantime.I know you have to be practical but no wage is any good to someone who is sick..As long as your there just do the tasks but try and detach also. Sorry probably not much help but I hope you get through it ok.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

OP as previously suggested, it would be no harm to drop into your GP to chat about what you're going through. They see many people in similar circumstances where their work life is affecting their personal life and health

I sympathise with you and the conditions you are working under. Companies operating like that suffer in the long as they remove trust, delegation and support from the people who are customer facing.

Your health is most important above all else. Hope you get sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I was in similar sort of nightmare at work, and dropped a lot of money to another job, and it took me a lot of hassle, and financial pain to do so. Took a few years to get back to where I was. Was it worth it.

Oh yes.

Lifes short don't waste your precious time, on some place like that.

Advertisement