Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Inspiron 2500 Display Problems

• 22-08-2007 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I have a Dell Inspiron 2500 thats acting up a bit at the moment.

when I switch it on, I see the DELL Logo appear and then it begins to load XP. Then after a about 20 seconds the screen goes black with a very thin white line down the right hand side.

If I plug in an external monitor/projector I can toggle between the two or have both on together. However as soon as the external monitor is removed the laptop screen goes blank again.

I have reloaded the machine with XP and reinstalled the drivers for the video card but no luck.

I assume that its a problem with the motherboard and is not really worth repairing/replacing as the laptop is 7 years old , but I wouldn't mind a second opinion from anybody that might know more ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

boot it up on something other than windows, dos or linux to eliminate it being a windows issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rukixy

Hello try the following method. May be it works with your Dell Model:
    - When you switch ON your computer, start tapping the "F8" key to get "Windows Advanced Options"( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and keep tapping the F8 key) 

- Select the option "Last Known Good Configuration". 
    - If the problem still exists then follow the step 1 and this time select the option "Safe Mode". Check if you are able to boot into Safe Mode. 
    After doing these attempts if you have same problem then check Dell Inspiron 2500 Manual- guideusermanual.com/product-name-inspiron-2500-manual&po=152027&lang=English  for troubleshooting your display error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Could be the inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Hold down the 'D' key as you power on. This will start the LCD BIST. The screen will cycle through Red, Green, Blue and White several times. If this works every time then the display is probably OK.

If the last step passed then Tap F12 after power on and select Diagnostics from the One Time Boot Menu. Let the full test (including RAM) run, it should take about 5 to 10 minutes. If the display stays on for the full test then I think you can eliminate the display as the culprit.

After that you need to look at the OS, as suggested above, a USB linux boot disc is a good place to begin. Safe mode in Windows as mentioned is also a good alternative.

Ken

Advertisement