Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SUSI Grant application

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tipp2k12

I wouldn't be too worried at this stage. I got the grant for 4 years and each year I didn't know I was getting it till a few weeks into the college year. Don't worry about the fees either. The colleges will be willing to wait. One year I didn't receive my grant payment till December and the college never contacted me about paying fees. With SUSI it really is a waiting game. Most of the first payments won't be paid out till November anyhow. October at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

I'm just being paranoid now, but if you got a grant last year for a course, does that count as income for the next year's grant application?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tipp2k12

I'm just being paranoid now, but if you got a grant last year for a course, does that count as income for the next year's grant application?

Do you mean you got a grant for a previous course and are applying for the grant again this year for a new course?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

tipp2k12 wrote: »
    Do you mean you got a grant for a previous course and are applying for the grant again this year for a new course?

Basically. Last year I did a PLC, this year I'm starting an undergrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Renewed my application 6 and a half weeks ago, haven't even moved to the Initial assessment stage.

This is my 3rd year involved with SUSI and I can safely say their system is nothing short of laughable. Something has to be done with how it's being ran, it's simply not functioning anyway near the standard it should have reached considering this is its 3rd year in operation for god sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Even though my online status is showing "awaiting final assessment" since May 29, i am now at the "provisionally awarded pending FCA" so if people are worried/fustrated about their status not updating i would recommend contacting susi. Beats the hell out of worrying and ranting about it.

FTR this is my second grant application, i got one last year for a PLC course and if anything, this year was even quicker getting sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Owryan wrote: »
    Even though my online status is showing "awaiting final assessment" since May 29, i am now at the "provisionally awarded pending FCA" so if people are worried/fustrated about their status not updating i would recommend contacting susi. Beats the hell out of worrying and ranting about it.

FTW this is my second grant application, i got one last year for a PLC course and if anything, this year was even quicker getting sorted.

Going to do this tomorrow thanks! Mine has only been submitted 6.5 weeks now, but it hasn't even moved by the initial stage so hopefully they'll have some good news for me when I contact them tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dave011

I sent my renewal in on the 13/05/2014,it's been awaiting assessment since the end of June. I sent them a message today and this is what I got back from them.

Thank you for your message.

We can see that the status of your application is currently awaiting review.

We ask that you allow approximately 4-6 weeks at this stage. This is an approximate time frame. Applications are assessed on a queuing basis. We currently have a high volume of applications at this time and are moving as efficiently as we can through these applications.

As soon as a decision is made on the application we will be in contact with you via post to confirm this.

I hope this information helps. Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

SUSI HelpDesk

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

dave011 wrote: »
    I sent my renewal in on the 13/05/2014,it's been awaiting assessment since the end of June. I sent them a message today and this is what I got back from them.

We ask that you allow approximately 4-6 weeks at this stage. This is an approximate time frame. Applications are assessed on a queuing basis. We currently have a high volume of applications at this time and are moving as efficiently as we can through these applications.

As soon as a decision is made on the application we will be in contact with you via post to confirm this.

I hope this information helps. Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

SUSI HelpDesk

Don't they just love those two words "queuing basis"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 dave011

Yeah it's words they use a lot, love to know who, if any are at the top of this que

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GingerNut93

dave011 wrote: »

Kind regards,

SUSI HelpDesk

I got that exact msg a few weeks back! they have mine since early may aswell. They literally told me that i just have to wait it out.

I got that exact msg a few weeks back! they have mine since early may aswell. They literally told me that i just have to wait it out.

You do. Sorry to be brutally honest but thats how it works.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭spudnick

Hey guys need advice. I have accepted college place starting in few weeks. For Susilo I was basically told I can't get a grand because I can't get all documents required. Basically my parents were divorce when I was 5 I live with my father until he passed away. I have not had contact with my mother in 20 years don't know where she is or if she is alive even. I rented a room since my father passed away so don't have copy of lease agreement or any of the document required. The told me I need to apply as a dependant student and provide my mother's income which I can't do I know she moved to Spain after divorce that's about all. Explained this to them and they said I can't apply because of that. So I won't get a grant or fees or anything like that. Any ideas where to go from here?

Thanks

spudnick wrote: »
    Hey guys need advice. I have accepted college place starting in few weeks. For Susilo I was basically told I can't get a grand because I can't get all documents required. Basically my parents were divorce when I was 5 I live with my father until he passed away. I have not had contact with my mother in 20 years don't know where she is or if she is alive even. I rented a room since my father passed away so don't have copy of lease agreement or any of the document required. The told me I need to apply as a dependant student and provide my mother's income which I can't do I know she moved to Spain after divorce that's about all. Explained this to them and they said I can't apply because of that. So I won't get a grant or fees or anything like that. Any ideas where to go from here?

Thanks

You need to ring them back and ask how you can go through the process of proving to them you are irreconcilably estranged from your mother. Be firm and assertive and polite.

I think they need documents like a letter from the hse or gardai

You then need to provide evidence of independent living

Here gives you a guideline

http://www.susi.ie/Info/Home/InfoPods/Timetables/Section-A.aspx

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Hi looking for a bit of advice. Just got letter from susi that they are rejecting my application on being over the income limit.

I live at home with my father, my mother and father are separated for the past number of years and have not been living together.

My father works full time, and last year did some casual work that he made a return to revenue on. When he did the return, as still being marrieds mothers income was on it. Susi are taking my mothers income into account in my application.

I provided a solicitors letter outlining my mother and father have been living apart for 3 years.

I don't know what else to do now, I'll have to drop out of college as I can't afford the fees

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Thanks

If you can provide utility bills in your name you can apply as an independent adult.

bri007 wrote: »
    Hi looking for a bit of advice. Just got letter from susi that they are rejecting my application on being over the income limit.

I live at home with my father, my mother and father are separated for the past number of years and have not been living together.

My father works full time, and last year did some casual work that he made a return to revenue on. When he did the return, as still being marrieds mothers income was on it. Susi are taking my mothers income into account in my application.

I provided a solicitors letter outlining my mother and father have been living apart for 3 years.

I don't know what else to do now, I'll have to drop out of college as I can't afford the fees

If you provide them with utility bills from your parents at separate addresses from the same time period then they will only assess you on the parent that you are living with now.

Thanks for the reply, yes I provided them with bills in my mothers address and my fathers address for every month during last year, all types of bills!

They said the income was over the limit, I stated in the letter I sent in that my mother isn't living with us, see attached solicitors letter and bills.

But the letter today said application rejected due to household income being over the limit!

I am going to appeal it, but that will take ages and more than likely will not get a positive decision. I don't know what else I can do now

rawn wrote: »
    If you provide them with utility bills from your parents at separate addresses from the same time period then they will only assess you on the parent that you are living with now.

bri007 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, yes I provided them with bills in my mothers address and my fathers address for every month during last year, all types of bills!

They said the income was over the limit, I stated in the letter I sent in that my mother isn't living with us, see attached solicitors letter and bills.

But the letter today said application rejected due to household income being over the limit!

I am going to appeal it, but that will take ages and more than likely will not get a positive decision. I don't know what else I can do now

I'm sorry to hear that, that's rough. My parents are separated and still married, I provided them with the utility bills and my father's income, pretty sure they never asked about my mothers at all. I think the only other option is to appeal it (long process) or call your local TD and ask can they help. Also, maybe you could apply for a grant from your local council? Is that still a thing does anyone know?

• Advertisement

Thanks, yeah when I emailed and phoned susi support they said once I get a solicitors letter outlining they are not living together and will utility bills etc that would be sufficient.

Now this letter says different, good old susi :( I don't think local authority give grants any more

You need to ring them back and ask how you can go through the process of proving to them you are irreconcilably estranged from your mother. Be firm and assertive and polite.

I think they need documents like a letter from the hse or gardai

You then need to provide evidence of independent living

Here gives you a guideline

http://www.susi.ie/Info/Home/InfoPods/Timetables/Section-A.aspx

I've always had a free room with work (racehorses) so never had a rental agreement or utility bills. All I have is bank statement mobile phone bill and some tax stuff like p45 ect. I also have some correspondence from sw as I was unemployed last year for a few months but they won't accept this as it doesn't directly relate to my living in the house or something like that?

I've always had a free room with work (racehorses) so never had a rental agreement or utility bills. All I have is bank statement mobile phone bill and some tax stuff like p45 ect. I also have some correspondence from sw as I was unemployed last year for a few months but they won't accept this as it doesn't directly relate to my living in the house or something like that?

Mobile phone bills don't count, but anything from the tax office along with anything else you can provide (bank statements, sw letters) should do. My partner was told he could provide something from the tax office instead of lease/utilities.

Mobile phone bills don't count, but anything from the tax office along with anything else you can provide (bank statements, sw letters) should do. My partner was told he could provide something from the tax office instead of lease/utilities.
    That's what I thought to but the woman on the phone said that it wouldn't do??

That's what I thought to but the woman on the phone said that it wouldn't do??

Do you have any of these?

•A Utility bill in your own name, for example: landline telephone (we do not accept mobile telephone bills), fixed broadband, gas, electricity or cable/sa tellite television bill.

Terry Pratchet

Can work provide you with an official letter that you are living in their accommodation?

Do you have any of these?

•A Utility bill in your own name, for example: landline telephone (we do not accept mobile telephone bills), fixed broadband, gas, electricity or cable/sa tellite television bill.

No basically everything was paid by trainer..
    Kind of perk of the job as your always on call.

Only thing I'd have is letter from revenue p45
    And stuff from social welfare from when I was unemployed but like I'm obviously independent on fathers death cert it say divorced like

Can work provide you with an official letter that you are living in their accommodation?

I asked susi about that and they said has to be from some private tenant board.

• Advertisement

They basically said I can't apply as a mature independent because I don't have required documents and I can't apply as dependant because I don't know where my mother is to get income details. Just seems messed up

Advertisement