Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Got Postgrad Grant last year now SUSI looking for money back?!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,724 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Interesting, and also thanks for the links.
    Would these have been uploaded and unchanged since 2011/2012?

Its all well and good to have the info in this document but I would love to see the information they were putting in front of us during the application process, i.e on the website proper (and not in the encyclopedia of terms and conditions), document communication etc etc. I hope I can find any pdfs I may have saved during my application because its unlikely anyone would have that!

In any case, they are chasing a lost cause! I wouldnt likely have the money to pay them back 2000 as Im still looking for work and theyl be hard pushed chasing me up for it as well! Theres people, possibly me included that may not have been in a financial position to complete a course without this grant, so to try and take it back is a disgrace! Is this nonsense happening to people who are still in college? that would be shameful!

The 2012-2013 ones are laws signed by Minister Quinn so they wouldn't have been changed since uploaded.

As regards SUSI it is unclear how they can or will recover this.

I'd suggest everyone getting advice from MABS on the issue.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Clareh123

Spotted this in the independent:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/students-may-be-forced-to-repay-grants-as-funding-stopped-four-months-into-term-29927395.html

I contacted the journalist Brian Byrne, explaining my situation and directing him to this thread. Might be good if others contact him too.

This is his form: http://brianbyrne.me/contact/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Keeping an eye on this. Susi was a disaster from the very start and this unfortunately doesn't surprise me. I really hope no one has any intention of paying these half wits.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7 goldengee

Bloodfued wrote: »
    I responded by email saying that it was their mistake therefore their responsibility not mine.

I got an email back which was a direct copy and paste from the letter and also to send them back the 'declaration form' which basically looks for my course details, pps no. etc.

I have no intention of giving them my info(although they have it all on file already so why would they to ask for it again - typical SUSI).

I have since replied again asking how to appeal this and I am waiting for them to get back to me.

I wonder how many people have been effected by this?

65 apparently. we have to be the 65 unluckiest people because im pretty sure every postgrad who applied made this same "mistake". In the application form (i found mine in an old email) it says "please check to guidance notes carefully" in the independent/dependent section .... the guidance notes mention nothing about first point of entry to a post leaving cert course or any of that ****e. It just says over 23 on 1st October the year before starting the course, which is the same thing it says on the student finance website, the citizens info website and the susi website back in 2012. How in any way is this our fault?

http://www.thejournal.ie/susi-post-graduate-grants-student-recovery-1269059-Jan2014/

I still have one semester left of my course, Im definitely not giving them back the money from last year but im worried they wont give me the fees for this year and I wont be able to finish my course. Has anyone been reassessed as a dependent student?

Give me back the last 2 years of my life susi and ill give you your money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

If you get something you are not entitled to it is not yours, even if given in error. The correct way for them to resolve this is to treat it as a loan with a small repayment over a long period. So I suggest reaching an arrangement with them to pay €10 per month or something. That way, even if they can manage to get legal procedings against someone (which I doubt they could) the courts will laugh them out.

Interesting, and also thanks for the links.
    Would these have been uploaded and unchanged since 2011/2012?

Its all well and good to have the info in this document but I would love to see the information they were putting in front of us during the application process, i.e on the website proper (and not in the encyclopedia of terms and conditions), document communication etc etc. I hope I can find any pdfs I may have saved during my application because its unlikely anyone would have that!

In any case, they are chasing a lost cause! I wouldnt likely have the money to pay them back 2000 as Im still looking for work and theyl be hard pushed chasing me up for it as well! Theres people, possibly me included that may not have been in a financial position to complete a course without this grant, so to try and take it back is a disgrace! Is this nonsense happening to people who are still in college? that would be shameful!

yep still in college and they're not paying me for this year, and trying to get back money for last year. Do they think I have €11,000 just hanging around? The worst thing is I was 2 years out of college when I started, I would've just waited another year if I'd known about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Clareh123 wrote: »
    Spotted this in the independent:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/students-may-be-forced-to-repay-grants-as-funding-stopped-four-months-into-term-29927395.html

I contacted the journalist Brian Byrne, explaining my situation and directing him to this thread. Might be good if others contact him too.

This is his form: http://brianbyrne.me/contact/

Regarding the Dental Nursing courses described in the link above SUSI has approved them for grant purposes: http://careersnews.ie/full-time-dental-nursing-hygiene-courses-approved-student-grants/

Bit ridiculous to suspend them at all seeing as they were covered under the previous grant schemes.

mitosis wrote: »
    If you get something you are not entitled to it is not yours, even if given in error. The correct way for them to resolve this is to treat it as a loan with a small repayment over a long period. So I suggest reaching an arrangement with them to pay €10 per month or something. That way, even if they can manage to get legal procedings against someone (which I doubt they could) the courts will laugh them out.

I can understand where you're coming from but this is not as simple as you think. No money was actually given to us because there are no maintainence grants available anymore for postgraduate courses- they are just full or partial exemptions from the fees, which are paid directly to the colleges. So the idea of 'recovering' the money is ridiciulous- we never had it to begin with.

I think that in the rare event that SUSI were to get their lawyers after us, we could rely on the doctrine of promissory estoppel to stop them from recovering the money (I haven't studied law but used to be a note-taker in a few law classes).

Basically where you act in reliance of a promise, but then the person/organisation who made the promise decides to go back on it, promissory estoppel can force them to keep to their word. We are all students who would have qualified for a full or partial maintenance grant if our courses were undergraduate. So, given the information that we got on the website and from SUSI's advisors, as well as the fact that we did, in fact, get fee exemptions, I think the court would side with the students. I certainly wouldn't have decided to do a masters at all if I wasn't confident that I would get the fee exemption, and would have had to drop out if I found out I would have to pay €6,000 in fees. I had read up about my entitlement on the website and spoke to an advisor from SUSI. Neither of those sources said anything about this obscure rule, and I think it would be unreasonable if we were expected to find it out for ourselves when the SUSI assessors didn't even know about it until now.

Promissory estoppel: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Promissory+Estoppel

I can understand where you're coming from but this is not as simple as you think. No money was actually given to us because there are no maintainence grants available anymore for postgraduate courses- they are just full or partial exemptions from the fees, which are paid directly to the colleges. So the idea of 'recovering' the money is ridiciulous- we never had it to begin with.

I think that in the rare event that SUSI were to get their lawyers after us, we could rely on the doctrine of promissory estoppel to stop them from recovering the money (I haven't studied law but used to be a note-taker in a few law classes).

Basically where you act in reliance of a promise, but then the person/organisation who made the promise decides to go back on it, promissory estoppel can force them to keep to their word. We are all students who would have qualified for a full or partial maintenance grant if our courses were undergraduate. So, given the information that we got on the website and from SUSI's advisors, as well as the fact that we did, in fact, get fee exemptions, I think the court would side with the students. I certainly wouldn't have decided to do a masters at all if I wasn't confident that I would get the fee exemption, and would have had to drop out if I found out I would have to pay €6,000 in fees. I had read up about my entitlement on the website and spoke to an advisor from SUSI. Neither of those sources said anything about this obscure rule, and I think it would be unreasonable if we were expected to find it out for ourselves when the SUSI assessors didn't even know about it until now.

Promissory estoppel: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Promissory+Estoppel

This is good to hear, I was wondering what our rights are regarding getting approval for a grant and then having it revoked. I'm currently trying to get advice from as many sources as possible, at the same time getting the word out about this complete injustice.

Maybe if everyone emails the USI then they will help fight our cause? It worked for the trinity students!

• Advertisement

Eveam58 wrote: »
    I also received a similar letter from SUSI claiming that I was ineligible to apply last year as an independent mature student as I did not comply with the three year rule and now they are looking for the cost of the fees they covered for me from last year.
    This is just a horrible situation, I don't have access to my parent's income records and now I'm faced with the possibility of having to drop out of higher education when I'm nearly half way through my course. If this requirement was highlighted in my initial application I certainly wouldn't have proceeded with the course. I am really unsure as to where I stand this year as it's been three years since I finished the plc course, so because its too late to put in a fresh grant application will my application renewal will automatically be refused?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Speak to your student union

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bloodfued

Yes, I asked some friends of mine and they said that promissory estoppel could be used as a basis for fighting this decision.I don't know what type of timescale SUSI have in mind for going after students but I really hope this does not effect my graduation.

Also if SUSI decline your application for a grant you have the right to appeal, so if they decide that we are now 'ineligable' shouldn't we still get the same right to an appeal?

I do hope that they are just chancing their, also like Clare pointed out above, we never actually got any money off SUSI, the university did, so shouldn't they retract it from the university first?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bloodfued

UPDATE: only 6 out of 65 have asked to be reassessed.
    It also says they sent out a second letter but I never got one and they didn't reply to the last email I sent.

http://www.thejournal.ie/susi-postgraduate-grants-seek-to-recover-1280608-Jan2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

I'm also one of the sixty-five. I got an initial letter a few weeks back and thought that it had been another one of the numerous mistakenly sent letters. I rang up the help desk to discover that this internal audit nonsense was for real and basically read one of the lads on the phone the riot act (whilst making it clear that I was in absolutely no way directing it towards him personally). SUSI are a disgraceful, mean and incompetent shower. Of course, you have to appreciate the sheer volume of applications they receive but nonetheless it is a simply shambolic system. I feel sorry for the helpdesk staff who are usually great and are probably getting all sorts of ire down the phone.

The grant application was one of the most stressful experiences I've had in ten years of college-life. It was one screw-up after another on their part - blank letters being sent out, requests for documentation that had already been sent, painfully dragging the process out. Now this!

I spoke to the fees department in my college - who are simply weary themselves of SUSI and their incompetence - and they have already received the fee contribution. Therefore, as far as I can understand, the student not paying back the money to SUSI would have no bearing on being able to graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ironingman

Recieved same or similiar to everyone here. In the second year of my postgrad. I've explained to them on the phone recently that I no longer want to deal with them. I'm lucky in the sense that the second year is now being industry sponsored and therefore my fees are covered. I have no neccesity for the second fee contribution of 2000€. So that leaves me with the prospect of a reassessment for my first years fee contribution, a measly 2000€ ( measly in comparison to undergraduate fees and maintinence). To say the least I intend to give them as much hassle as they have I. I agree with others on this thread. Contact as many related organisations or relevent representatives as possible. I intend to make this disgrace public by any means, they deserve to be named and shamed. Most importantly I will lead them down a process as lengthy as theres.... from a financial point of view trying to recoup fees is simply moronic, in most cases the resulting legal costs will surpass by far anything they can possibly gain.
    Final point would be that I find it hard to believe all postgrad applications from 2012 and 2013 where audited, does that mean the unlucky few where chosen from a hat...

Ok so I received this reply from USI:

"The procedures SUSI need to follow mean that you will need to reapply under the status you originally applied for a grant under. Unless you took at three year gap between undergrad and postgrad you will need to go back to the way you applied when entering college ie. dependent student.

SUSI have a dedicated team for people experiencing the same issue as you so the turn around time should be significantly reduced. As you began college before you were 23 you will not be able to apply as a mature student but once SUSI reassesses you and sees you are independent you should be classed as such.

This is all down to a SUSI error but the grant scheme must be applied. You will not be asked to pay back any money if you reapply as advised. Should your grant be reduced based on the reassessment you could have grounds to appeal based on the mistake SUSI made but we will not know if this is needed until you are reassessed. We have outlined to SUSI the actions we may take if students so close to completing their programme are forced into a situation where they are denied their grant.

To clarify your next step will be to reapply as advised by SUSI and follow their instructions. In your correspondence make sure you state your situation has changed and you are no longer dependent on anyone. Should the outcome result in your grant being reduced or removed please contact me directly."

This made me even more confused for a while, I don't know who to trust anymore! It seems legitimate and the USI did sort out the trinity students so I trust them, but it doesn't seem very SUSI!

I asked for clarification on some of those points and got this reply (she was very quick to reply and quite helpful):

"I understand your feelings toward SUSI, we have experienced the same inconsistencies through the helpdesk. On this issue though we are dealing with the top management so there is greater understanding.

When you reapply you will need to provide information on the year before your Postgrad so this should show how you were living away from home and paid your own bills etc. The same information you would have sent previously.
    The issue is to do with the Grant Scheme itself. It says that unless you take a 3 year gap you keep the same 'status' of dependence/independence when applying. Though you apply under this status you are then assessed and this is where you are changed to independent if you are eligible.

What we are advising students to do is to go ahead with reapplying and get reassessed. Should SUSI make a decision that changes the grant you and others have been awarded we will then meet with them to seek resolutions again and take further action if needed."

what I want to know is why we weren't provided with this information already? Im not sure what to do now

goldengee wrote: »
    I asked for clarification on some of those points and got this reply (she was very quick to reply and quite helpful):

"I understand your feelings toward SUSI, we have experienced the same inconsistencies through the helpdesk. On this issue though we are dealing with the top management so there is greater understanding.

When you reapply you will need to provide information on the year before your Postgrad so this should show how you were living away from home and paid your own bills etc. The same information you would have sent previously.
    The issue is to do with the Grant Scheme itself. It says that unless you take a 3 year gap you keep the same 'status' of dependence/independence when applying. Though you apply under this status you are then assessed and this is where you are changed to independent if you are eligible.

What we are advising students to do is to go ahead with reapplying and get reassessed. Should SUSI make a decision that changes the grant you and others have been awarded we will then meet with them to seek resolutions again and take further action if needed."

what I want to know is why we weren't provided with this information already? Im not sure what to do now

I'm really confused as well. I rang the USI yesterday and they told me the same thing they told you. My concern is that if I supply the information they are going to class me as a dependent student and ask me to hand over money. My parents' income is above the special rate threshold, so I imagine they would ask me for at least partial fees. If the USI thinks it makes a difference to show SUSI we are now independent, then why do we need to supply those parental income details at all? I still just don't see why I should do it so I'm not going to. I'm also leaving the country to teach for a year in Korea next month so they won't be able to get me there.

Did anyone get this letter they were supposedly sending out last Friday? (http://www.thejournal.ie/susi-postgraduate-grants-seek-to-recover-1280608-Jan2014/)? I haven't gotten it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 freewilli88

goldengee wrote: »

As far as im concerned SUSI have all the information they required to assess me as independent for 12/13 year so to supply them with this material again as USI suggest is just not going to happen. The pain I went through for months providing them with the documentation and in one instance they had lost all my stuff and requested it all be sent again. If I understand correctly USI think that if we offer up parents income details to SUSI but consider our situation was independent then they would consider us independent? 1. SUSI are ruthless and incompetent so they will chance their arm as much as possible to get anything out of us and 2. if this was the case, they have the info already to see our situations were independent and we should not be held accountable for mistakes they made.

Take it like a man SUSI! 65 obviously financially struggling students are hardly worth chasing in an effort to salvage a shocking first year in operation! Just improve your system and recover a reputation through reduced future heartache for students! It might be more understandable if there were multiples of thousands of students awarded thousands of euro in contribution grants each but to chase just 65 is pitiful and shambolic!

Also, in a recent correspondence they have given me a 7th of feb deadline to be reassessed as a dependent! Anyone else get this deadline? I genuinely dont plan to apply to be reassessed as a dependent! theres no point, I know the household income threshold would have been exceeded (though not by much) so its a pointless step for me and a step closer for SUSI to get their incompetent way so why bother! They never made ANYTHING easy for us and now they want us to enter crippling debt to save their face. I think not!!

As far as im concerned SUSI have all the information they required to assess me as independent for 12/13 year so to supply them with this material again as USI suggest is just not going to happen. The pain I went through for months providing them with the documentation and in one instance they had lost all my stuff and requested it all be sent again. If I understand correctly USI think that if we offer up parents income details to SUSI but consider our situation was independent then they would consider us independent? 1. SUSI are ruthless and incompetent so they will chance their arm as much as possible to get anything out of us and 2. if this was the case, they have the info already to see our situations were independent and we should not be held accountable for mistakes they made.

Take it like a man SUSI! 65 obviously financially struggling students are hardly worth chasing in an effort to salvage a shocking first year in operation! Just improve your system and recover a reputation through reduced future heartache for students! It might be more understandable if there were multiples of thousands of students awarded thousands of euro in contribution grants each but to chase just 65 is pitiful and shambolic!

Also, in a recent correspondence they have given me a 7th of feb deadline to be reassessed as a dependent! Anyone else get this deadline? I genuinely dont plan to apply to be reassessed as a dependent! theres no point, I know the household income threshold would have been exceeded (though not by much) so its a pointless step for me and a step closer for SUSI to get their incompetent way so why bother! They never made ANYTHING easy for us and now they want us to enter crippling debt to save their face. I think not!!

Nail on the head here. Not a hope I'm playing ball with them on this. Furthermore, I can imagine that letting them have their way on this might set a dangerous precedent by creating a situation where it is accepted that future cock-ups by SUSI leave the student liable for repayment of any grant money once a mistake has been identified. Going on their pitiful operation thus far, the likelihood of future scenarios such as the one we find ourselves in currently, is high.

• Advertisement

I'm confused. They want to now assess you as dependent not independent.

Terry Pratchet

I completely agree. I won't be supplying any documentation for reassessment. I queried the SUSI forum here on Boards asking do they intend to follow through on the recoup threat and if so by what means. Below is the reply.

"If the grant has been awarded to someone who is not eligible, then this will be recouped. As this is case dependent, each applicant will have a different time for repayment. A payment plan will be set up for those who are required to repay maintenance payments. Fee payments will be recouped directly from the college.

There are two options available to students who have received a recoupment letter, these are to repay the money or not to. If repayment is not made then the matter will be taken through legal proceedings.

If you have a query specific to your own application and would like to discuss it further with us, please private message us with the following details:

- (W) Reference number
    - Date of birth
    - Address
    - Your mother's maiden name

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
    Shane,
    SUSI HelpDesk"

My attention was drawn in particular to recouping fees. Their plan is to do this directly from the college.
    I will be asking the college today if they are aware of this and if they will be co-operating.
    For me having already graduated from the first year of studies with a Graduate Diploma and now in the Masters course I can't see how they can get anything back from a course I have effectively finished and graduated from.
    I'll update later with my findings from the college.

ironingman wrote: »
    I completely agree. I won't be supplying any documentation for reassessment. I queried the SUSI forum here on Boards asking do they intend to follow through on the recoup threat and if so by what means. Below is the reply.

"If the grant has been awarded to someone who is not eligible, then this will be recouped. As this is case dependent, each applicant will have a different time for repayment. A payment plan will be set up for those who are required to repay maintenance payments. Fee payments will be recouped directly from the college.

There are two options available to students who have received a recoupment letter, these are to repay the money or not to. If repayment is not made then the matter will be taken through legal proceedings.

If you have a query specific to your own application and would like to discuss it further with us, please private message us with the following details:

- (W) Reference number
    - Date of birth
    - Address
    - Your mother's maiden name

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
    Shane,
    SUSI HelpDesk"

My attention was drawn in particular to recouping fees. Their plan is to do this directly from the college.
    I will be asking the college today if they are aware of this and if they will be co-operating.

For me having already graduated from the first year of studies with a Graduate Diploma and now in the Masters course I can't see how they can get anything back from a course I have effectively finished and graduated from.
    I'll update later with my findings from the college.

I spoke to my college today about this and told them about the above Boards.ie statement from SUSI. It was the first that the staff in the fees office had heard of it. Eyebrows were raised, let's say. They were totally bemused and said that payment of fees back to SUSI/local authorities was not something that had been done before and that it would be a new departure if it were to happen. They said that they also wouldn't be pursuing students for the fees.

I also just spoke to my college. The University of Limerick. They told me that they will not cooperate with anyone trying to recoup fees. I have just called SUSI, I explained the same. I asked the representative to make a note on there system that I WILL NOT BE RESPONDING TO ANY FURTHER CORRESPONDENCE AND I EFFECTIVELY CONSIDER THE MATTER SETTLED. Unless you think you can be reassessed successfully as a dependent student I suggest affected persons do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mobrienCFR

My understanding of Irish Law is basic at best but I think this may fall under the category of a 'Uni-Lateral Mistake' on the part of SUSI.

A simplified definition is;

"Unilateral mistake occurs where one party is mistaken as to the terms of the agreement, the other party is aware of the mistake but proceeds to execute the agreement anyway."

In this specific case, grant applicants supplied SUSI with accurate information/documentation. SUSI reviewed what was supplied and should have deemed the applicant ineligible but awarded the grants anyway.

Maybe someone a little more knowledgeable of the law could double check this point?

ugh I have no idea what to do now. If I had finished my course already I would definitely ignore them but I'm in my second year and haven't gotten the fees for this year yet. So if I completely disregard them I'm down €5000 (possibly €11000 if they manage to get back the fees from last year)... but if I go along with their stupid reassessment and USI are right then I might actually get the fees for this year. But if USI are wrong....

im so sick of all this ridiculous bulls**t

mobrienCFR wrote: »
    My understanding of Irish Law is basic at best but I think this may fall under the category of a 'Uni-Lateral Mistake' on the part of SUSI.

A simplified definition is;

"Unilateral mistake occurs where one party is mistaken as to the terms of the agreement, the other party is aware of the mistake but proceeds to execute the agreement anyway."

In this specific case, grant applicants supplied SUSI with accurate information/documentation. SUSI reviewed what was supplied and should have deemed the applicant ineligible but awarded the grants anyway.

Maybe someone a little more knowledgeable of the law could double check this point?

The only problem with that is it's a part of contract law and the agreement isn't a contract, as far as I can see. For there to be a contract there needs to be consideration- in other words, we would all need to have given SUSI something of economic value in exchange for the fee grant. As it stands, it's just a one-sided promise. So I don't think it would be covered under contract law, but equity would intervene- more specifically, promissory estoppel. I wrote to SUSI outlining that doctrine but they didn't respond, I was just sent that letter with the Feb 7th deadline, which I'm obviously going to ignore as I think everyone should.

My understanding from previous posts is that SUSI will be trying to recoup the fee grants from the college, is that right? I can't see the colleges accepting that and then having to pursue students for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hello all,

The SUSI people were in touch with me and said that there was a miscommunication somewhere along the line and asked me to post the following in here on their behalf (as they don't wish to overstep boundaries and jump in here on this forum unless you'd like them to?):
    SUSI wrote:
    Just to clarify: The student must complete the form that was sent to them to confirm whether or not they would like to be re-assessed under their parents details. On receipt of this form, SUSI will conduct a review based on the information provided. Following this, SUSI will either request further information from them to start a re-assessment based on their parent’s income details or will review the application based on the limited information available before deciding whether to refuse the grant and/or to recover any amounts already paid.

Pending the receipt of confirmation from students by the indicated response date, as requested by SUSI, no student has so far been asked to repay their grant. This is a future step and is dependent on the student’s response to the request by SUSI to indicate whether they wish to be re-assessed or not.
    Any follow up issues can be asked on their Talk To forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pfeffer

I got same letter...now first: this wasnt my mistake so I think it should be their problem not mine, they have all my documents already, why should I have to send them again??
    Also, I find this really awful: "The organisation confirmed that following an audit 65 students have received these letters, less than one per cent of the 40,000 grants awarded.". Really? We are less than one per cent and they have special unit for that??

Source: http://www.thejournal.ie/susi-post-graduate-grants-student-recovery-1269059-Jan2014/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 freewilli88

There is a reason all of us didn't apply as a dependent student! If we were then we would have applied as such! To reassess is absolutely pointless and a waste of time! I will not be supplying them with anything, iv been through enough grief with them already to know that no matter how much time and effort I put into jumping through hoops for them, I will ultimately end up with a massive headache (censored version)! To be reassessed in a category that we all know and knew we didn't qualify our nonsense and I'm not playing their games anymore! My recommendation for everyone is wait it out, go about your business and just see what bulls**t they come up with next!

SUSI you are an enormous joke and a giant thorn in the side of 3rd level education in Ireland! Pull the finger out and stop chasing around after financially vulnerable students/graduates! Put the time and effort into reducing future mistakes not making others pay for your past ones!

Advertisement