Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Irish a dead language?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

peatcass wrote: »
    can see this going further and further off topic, slan a cairde

Ya this thread is close to dead

I love the Irish Language and I hope the next Government will think of new and interesting ways to protect our heritage. The way our schools teach is a one way road to obliviation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

owenc wrote: »
    Maghera no wonder.:rolleyes: You said derry i thought you were talking about derry, no one usually refers to it like that they usually say the place not just derry. What the hell were you doing in maghera anyway?

The Café is in Derry City.

The Derry Gaeltacht is just outside Maghera. I haven't been there personally, but even if I was - who are you to question what I would be doing there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

dlofnep wrote: »
    The Café is in Derry City.

The Derry Gaeltacht is just outside Maghera. I haven't been there personally, but even if I was - who are you to question what I would be doing there?

LOL so the cafe is in derry og!:eek: Where at? Because its a wee poky village in the middle of nowhere.

LOL so the cafe is in derry og!:eek: Where at? Because its a wee poky village in the middle of nowhere.

I don't know the name of the street off the top of my head. It was about a year and a half back.

I don't know the name of the street off the top of my head. It was about a year and a half back.

I'll try and copy and paste it into google maps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

not likely, but we can hope with a revenue shortage, surplus spending like this will be the first to go.. spending on grants/teaching an entire population a language few people learn/speak..

not meaning to sound racist but there's more foreign nationals in the country than irish first languageers.. should i dust off my nigerian dictionary for my son?

which one is that? there's over 500 different languages in nigeria :rolleyes:

Naw sorry i canny find it, it dosen't matter anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

aDeener wrote: »
    which one is that? there's over 500 different languages in nigeria :rolleyes:

i wonder if thery're all state funded?

There is also the Culturlann Irish language centre.

http://www.culturlann-doire.ie/

To be honest Owen, I know you're not into Irish culture, or the Irish language - but you do have some good facilities up there in Derry. We don't even have an Irish shop here in Waterford. Ye have a huge language centre, and even a Gaeltacht of 200 houses that you weren't aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Colette1712

I'm finding this thread very interesting. Especially because I'm currently doing a research Masters regarding the Irish language + the impact of immersion education on it's use.

• Advertisement

To be honest Owen, I know you're not into Irish culture, or the Irish language

please don't generalize irish culture and irish language. you (fluent irish speakers) don't have the monopoly on being "Real" irish people

I'm finding this thread very interesting. Especially because I'm currently doing a research Masters regarding the Irish language + the impact of immersion education on it's use.

I'd be interested in reading your thesis when you're finished. I've researched quite a bit into immersion also, as it's how I myself learned the Irish language.

please don't generalize irish culture and irish language. you (fluent irish speakers) don't have the monopoly on being "Real" irish people

Where did I state that I had a monopoly on anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

What exactly is immersion education? Learning everything through Irish?

Where did I state that I had a monopoly on anything?

by presuming owen has no interest in irish culture.. please show a quote supporting this claim.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    What exactly is immersion education? Learning everything through Irish?

Pretty much. Immersion is where you are surrounded by the language - So you hear it, and speak it, see it, live it. It's how children learn a language before they ever enter school. Listening, speaking and immersing themselves in an environment that harvests it.

by presuming owen has no interest in irish culture.. please show a quote supporting this claim.

It was an observation by that I acquired by reading his posts over the last year. Perhaps Owen might be able to tell us if he's interested in any specific parts of Irish culture or the Irish language.

I ask again - where did I state that I had a monopoly, or even state that I was anymore Irish than anyone else in this thread? I would appreciate it if you could substantiate your claim. thank you.

i already have, by saying in one breath owen has no interest in irish culture/language. you can see from my joining date i could have no idea what owen has said over the past year, but seeing as how you can't produce a quote, i suppose i'll have to take your word for it. bar yourself and owen, noone else reading this tread could possibly know for sure

secondly by preaching that an entire country of taxpayers should support a long commercially dead language. as you said yourself, the household language is learnt by the child long before school age. why impose it on the rest of the class?

cant wait all night on a reply, so going to bed.

i already have, by saying in one breath owen has no interest in irish culture/language. you can see from my joining date i could have no idea what owen has said over the past year, but seeing as how you can't produce a quote, i suppose i'll have to take your word for it. bar yourself and owen, noone else reading this tread could possibly know for sure

Well, considering I was speaking directly to Owen - Why should I consider what your understanding is of him and his background? My understanding of Owen is that he's a young chap, and very proud of his British roots. I don't want to take the thread off topic discussing OwenC's views. He's more than capable of explaining them himself.
    secondly by preaching that an entire country of taxpayers should support a long commercially dead language. as you said yourself, the household language is learnt by the child long before school age. why impose it on the rest of the class?

To ensure that they have access to the language. All polls taken have always demonstrated support for the language. Why cut ties with something that the public obviously support?

• Advertisement

cant wait all night on a reply, so going to bed.

You waited 6 minutes. Patience is obviously not one of your virtues.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭magicface1

I hope not this is something that should ALWAYS be kept...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭paultheviking

careful dealing with zealots pete. it'll be a long time before they see things as you see them. obvious to you and me the numbers don't stack up, i know

careful dealing with zealots pete. it'll be a long time before they see things as you see them. obvious to you and me the numbers don't stack up, i know

What numbers? Which zealots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭paultheviking

What numbers? Which zealots?

exactly
    good night, don't stay up too late

exactly
    good night, don't stay up too late

Wonderful contribution.

Interestingly I had a conversation with my father a few hours about this and he maintains that Irish nowadays is much more widespread and popular then when he was a lad(he is in his 50s) would anyone else agree with this?

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Interestingly I had a conversation with my father a few hours about this and he maintains that Irish nowadays is much more widespread and popular then when he was a lad(he is in his 50s) would anyone else agree with this?

Yes, Urban Irish is definitely on the increase.

I think with the huge popularity of Gaelscoileanna (it basically guarantees a child a honors in LC Irish) the trend for Irish can only go up. I really wish I went to one, would love to be fluent or at least partially fluent. It shames me whenever I am talking to foreign people and they react with surprise that there is an Irish language. Their reaction is almost uniformly "why are you not speaking it?" And I can barely muster together a few basic sentences. Personally I feel there is a lot of national pride to be found in a language.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Irish is on the increase, when I lived in Drumcondra Dublin I'd have elderly people greeting me in Irish and telling me it was an area known for this.
    Realy?

The way Irish is taught isn't working, everyone sees this.
    You have students learning off stories and poems and they'd struggle to order a pint in Irish and hold a conversation with the opposite sex by the bar.

TG4 is the best thing that ever happened the language.
    Fantastic documentaries, extensive sports and home grown drama like Ros na Run.
    Make Irish attractive and appealing.
    Did I forget Bouli the snowman?

Realy, if you stopped making Irish a compulsory language in school it wouldn't immediately decline and it might even increase

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement