Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running .NET web app self hosted

• 20-10-2014 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question. I'm planning a simple .NET MVC demo site which will be a locally hosted SQL Server and IIS instance.

I will get away with SQL Server Express but what about IIS? What are the requirements for that? Will it run on any instance of Windows 7 or do I need a specific version? Or can I just install it via the Web Platform Installer and it will be good to go?

As long as the Windows 7 installation is fully licensed, are there any further licencing concerns or is it all free?

Thanks,
    Conor

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It'll work fine on W7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

IIS comes preinstalled on all Windows. Turn it on through the "Programs and Features" settings. You'll need to install MVC though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

Cheers guys.

Was just double checking because I remember seeing something about IIS only being available on some Window variants. Admittedly it was pro/business, which I will be using anyway so silly question.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

You'll need to install MVC though.

Not necessarily. You can do what some refer to as a "bin deploy".

Procedure like this:
    http://haacked.com/archive/2011/05/25/bin-deploying-asp-net-mvc-3.aspx/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

host it on the free azure site ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

Smoggy wrote: »
    host it on the free azure site ?

Yup, that's the plan alright (30 Day Trial). Just wondering about a contingency for a locally hosted solution.

What exactly can one host on one of those free sites? A simple MVC website with some Web APIs pointing to a SQL database? I had problems deploying from SQLMS to a free database before.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

All of the above.. having said that you might have to pay a little for SQL Server. I was using free credit at the time, but if you too are using the free 30 days you won't have any issues with MVC / SQL Server etc

Advertisement