Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA

• 26-05-2014 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi, I'm new to Boards so hopefully I am posting this in the correct place. I have applied and been accepted as a mature student on a full time BA Hons course in LIT. I currently receive e44 Jobseekers Allowance a week (this is because my husband works but is on a low salary). My question is what rate of BTEA would I receive? Would if be e44 or higher?

Many thanks for help in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mosii

HI my understanding is that it will be the same as your social welfare.The citizens info website will have all the info,or give them a ring they are very good

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

Thanks Mosii, I had a look on Citizens Info but could not find info for my particular query. I suspect I will have to decline the offer as I would need more financial assistance than 44euros a week. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mosii

Hi I rang BTEA in carrig on ShannTel:(071) 967 2616
    Locall:1890 927 999on.They were helpful with my query,but to be honest id say that's all you wil get,best of luck any way

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rml20131

I think the btea had a rate of €160 for new applicants and €188 for existing claimants. You should receive €160 a week as far as I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

rml20131 wrote: »
    I think the btea had a rate of €160 for new applicants and €188 for existing claimants. You should receive €160 a week as far as I'm sure.

I dont think thats correct. Its age dependent

See the paragraph here on rates

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/353_Back-to-Education-Allowance.aspx

Since 1 January 2013, if you are a new BTEA participant aged over 25 your weekly BTEA rate will be equal to your previous social protection payment (the payment that qualified you for participation in the scheme).
    If you are a new participant aged under 25 and you were getting a reduced age-related Jobseeker's Allowance payment, you will get a new personal maximum BTEA rate of €160 (any means you have will be deducted from this rate). You may also qualify for increases for a qualified adult and qualified children (see 'Qualified adult' below). People who were getting a Back to Education Allowance before 1 January 2013 are not affected by the Budget 2013 changes and continue to be paid at the same rate

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 rml20131

Apologies....I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

Thanks all for replying to my original post. I made some enquiries since and discovered that the BTEA rates have changed and I would only be entitled to €44 as per sw payment. I did the sums and even if I received a grant, I still could not afford to take the place so have since turned it down :( Thanks again for all replies

• Registered Users Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

gingergirl wrote: »
    Thanks all for replying to my original post. I made some enquiries since and discovered that the BTEA rates have changed and I would only be entitled to €44 as per sw payment. I did the sums and even if I received a grant, I still could not afford to take the place so have since turned it down :( Thanks again for all replies

Sorry to hear that OP

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

It seems that in the budget the back to education allowance scheme was left out of the list for the christmas bonus. Disappointing and WHY?

Scroll down to page 3
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/budfact15.pdf

Advertisement