Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CentOS CLI, Update Mirrorlist

• 29-09-2014 1:58pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Trying to run a few updates and installations on the machine. I'm just wondering, where would I find the mirror list files to update them as I'm getting an unresolved host, each time I try an update.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Tis ok, with a little digging, I found it. Was in the /etc/yum.repos.d/ folder. Repos need to be edited

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Ok, so I have my hands on the Repos. It's driving me nuts try to install packages with Yum. Any ideas on how to setup or a sample a repo to install packages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Itzy wrote: »
    Ok, so I have my hands on the Repos. It's driving me nuts try to install packages with Yum. Any ideas on how to setup or a sample a repo to install packages?

What exactly are you trying to achieve.

Bad news: The yum config is why I failed the RHCE.
    Good News: I've learned a lot since then.

Well I installed CentOS yesterday on a VM. I wanted to do a few updates and install a few packages by searching for repos used be Yum and Editing them to point to new repositories on line. I thought the issue my have been the code block I implemented, but sadly it wasn't

It could resolve repository location, which left me scratching my head and then I realised after pinging Google, I had no net connection. So when I fix that first, then I'll get back to the issue of configuring Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Itzy wrote: »
    Well I installed CentOS yesterday on a VM. I wanted to do a few updates and install a few packages by searching for repos used be Yum and Editing them to point to new repositories on line. I thought the issue my have been the code block I implemented, but sadly it wasn't

It could resolve repository location, which left me scratching my head and then I realised after pinging Google, I had no net connection. So when I fix that first, then I'll get back to the issue of configuring Yum.

Ok, when you get back to configuring yum post your repo file here.

Can you ping 8.8.8.8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

For Centos, you'll probably want the EPEL & RepoForge repositories as well or at least I've needed them for the servers I've set up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I recently had an issue with doing yum updates on a server - turned out to be an issue with the fastmirror plugin to disable it, by edit file "/etc/yum/pluginconf.d/fastestmirror.conf", and switch "enabled=1" to "enabled=0"
    Solved my problem!

Advertisement