Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Chromebox

• 01-10-2014 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Having bought myself an Asus Google Chromebox, I am wondering are there other friendly boardsies out there who might tell me how to get to a command prompt in the thing. Also, how do I record sound? I can get audio fine, through the HDMI connection or the single 3.5 mm jack. Some other snags as well to iron out. Any takers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Doesn't Chrome OS run entirely on Chrome Web/Apps?

There are a number of Terminal apps available in the store here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search-apps/terminal

I've not tried any of them to offer a recommendation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

CTRL-ALT-T

That'll give you enough to access the ssh subsystem so you can connect to other machines.
    You'll need to go in developer mode before you can really log in to it with a decent shell though.
    There's meant to be a pinhole above the Kensington cablelock port. Depress it while powering on.
    At that point take a read up on "crouton". That's what I've used on my chromebook to get a linux environment beside the ChromeOS.

There are some audio apps in the App Store. Do a search for recorder there, but you might get more mileage from audio using crouton.

The 3.5mm jack is combination mic/headphones. Any standard phone headset (or iRig adapter) should give you an audio input.

Advertisement