Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hibernation issue with Synology

• 26-01-2015 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

I've my DS414 set up and running.

I've also backed up all my photo and video files - which was the main reason for buying a NAS.

Anyways, I notice that the 2 led lights on the 2 drives are always blinking, I can hear the disks chugging away and the fan is always on.

I've set hibernation to kick in after 10 mins of inactivity. I've not done anything with the NAS in hours and the lights and fan are still awake - something is still working in the background?

Can someone help me figure this out?

I've attached 2 screenshots that should be of help. One is the process monitor - which shows a number of processes running and others asleep.

The other image is from my DS home page - where some video conversion was taking place. I paused this a few days ago, but I don't know what this does or whether it's the reason why the NAS won't go to hibernation.

Any help would be great to get this sorted guys.

http://www.nextstopwhoknows.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Screen-Shot-2015-01-26-at-11.58.39.png

http://www.nextstopwhoknows.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Screen-Shot-2015-01-26-at-11.57.16.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

"System Hibernation is only supported on DS213+ and D413, and it massively reduces power consumption of your Synology NAS."

Is that true??

"System Hibernation is only supported on DS213+ and D413, and it massively reduces power consumption of your Synology NAS."

Is that true??

Your ok, the 414 is the next model to the 413. The gist of the article is that there are a large number of things that can interfere with hibernation.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

From that linked article....

Thumbnail and indexing: Synology NAS cannot hibernate while generating thumbnails or re-indexing multimedia files post-upgrade. During this time, the “synoindexd” process will be listed as “Running” (Go to Main Menu > Resource Monitor > Process).

You have similar processes running away in your Resource Monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pinkman

I have the DS214Play and have been having the same issue. I had to go the package centre and stop both Plex and Itunes and it finally hibernated. Not sure if this is what is stopping your nas? However the issue I am now having is it keep waking from hibernation. It appears to be happening evertimes I connect to the internet on my iphone or tablet/laptop - even just browsing websites and not connecting to the nas. I have googled this and read variosu synology forums - the only answer I found was to deselect the 'Enable WOL on LAN1' option in power settings - however this wasn't selected to begin with so I don't know what the solution is. It is very frustrating. Presumably it means it will hibernate during the night as long as no one int he house uses their phone which is ridiculous. The Synology support are useless on this issue as I have emailed them several times about it.

• Advertisement

Twiki wrote: »
    From that linked article....

Thumbnail and indexing: Synology NAS cannot hibernate while generating thumbnails or re-indexing multimedia files post-upgrade. During this time, the “synoindexd” process will be listed as “Running” (Go to Main Menu > Resource Monitor > Process).

You have similar processes running away in your Resource Monitor.

How can I disable those processes? I don't know where to do that.

Synology forum is terrible at responding to questions about this - any of ye know how I can stop these processes?

The disks and fan are constantly running :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you've been adding content you need to give it time to finish indexing changes, then the process should sleep, unless its gotten stuck on something it cant process.

Have you got the drive mounted on another machine? If you add it as a mount point any software that might poll drives could wake it. Same if you have a torrent client running, itll wake the drive to service block requests.

If phones are waking it then my *guess* would be theres a public partition and as the phone runs discovery for local media devices it wakes the device. Could be DLNA or the filesystem itself.

ED E wrote: »
    If you've been adding content you need to give it time to finish indexing changes, then the process should sleep, unless its gotten stuck on something it cant process.

Have you got the drive mounted on another machine? If you add it as a mount point any software that might poll drives could wake it. Same if you have a torrent client running, itll wake the drive to service block requests.

If phones are waking it then my *guess* would be theres a public partition and as the phone runs discovery for local media devices it wakes the device. Could be DLNA or the filesystem itself.

I stopped the media server, photo app, audio app and video app - which then got rid of the conversion indexing thing (see in the photo above) that I was on about. But that didn't solve the problem.

So maybe I need to reactivate that again? But I don't know how to get the indexing going again....any idea how I can get that indexing/coverting again?

ok, i ran the video and photo apps again and now the conversion to running again.

So, you reckon once all those files are indexed that it will hibernate?

• Advertisement

Conversion and indexing are separate.

The indexer should run for a while after you add new files, then sleep. So once you stop adding content it should be off within say a couple of hours.

Why is it a huge issue that its spun up, is it noisy?

It's not an issue that it's spun up, the issue is that it's never hibernated since I've got it!

I've attached a pic of the indexing/conversion widget which has been running over the past 28+ hours non-spot.

I don't know if this is normal or who much longer it will take for everything to complete. I only added my 500GB of data the first day I installed it - on Saturday.

Its converting 4000 videos....Wut? Why would you have a NAS do that?
    Dual Core 1.33 GHz

Yeah, you dont want that converting a load of video. Will be there for a year. If you need it converted do it from a powerful PC with Handbrake.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

I have a DS411+ (abt 3-4 yrs old) and it does converting videos as well when I add new content. The conversion is mostly for synology video app and its doesn't take too much time.

I suspect it is stuck at something. You can disable the conversion process (for some time or until next reboot). If disabling the process lets it go to hibernation thats the issue.

Try disabling by using the dropdown menu next to pause button and post back.

ED E wrote: »
    Its converting 4000 videos....Wut? Why would you have a NAS do that?

Yeah, you dont want that converting a load of video. Will be there for a year. If you need it converted do it from a powerful PC with Handbrake.

I don't want anything converted - I just want the data stored and accessible, and for the NAS to hibernate instead of constantly working.

I've it paused now. I'll check to see if it's hibernated when I get home in 2 hours - but from the last time I did exactly this - it still won't have hibernated.

There has to be something else preventing it - even though I did nothing out of the box apart from the initial set up.

What model type are the drives?

What model type are the drives?

2T WD Red - SATA / 64MB Cache WD20EFRX

Does that make a difference what drives they are?

I was told these one's where among the best for NAS systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pinkman

I cannot get over how useless the Synology support is on this issue. They take 5 days to reply to each bloody email. My DS214Play is still waking up from hibernation every 20-30 minutes and they have no solutions. They just keep apologising for any inconvenience caused. Considering how expensive their products are this really is not acceptable.

OP,
    ==Regarding video conversion process==
    If you have added vidoes to a folder selected as watch folder for the media library (can be done/undone via settings in control panel -> media library -> indexed folder), synology will convert all files to a viewable format to be used by video station.
    To stop this from happening
    a> Pause the conversion as you have done OR
    b> Remove the folder from watch list of media library.

==Regarding photo conversion process==
    If you have added photos to a folder selected as watch folder for themedia library (can be done/undone via settings in control panel -> media library -> indexed folder), synology will convert all files to thumbnails to be used by photo station.
    To stop this from happening
    a> Pause the conversion as you have done OR
    b> Remove the folder from watch list of media library.

If you wish to use media library, you will have to bear the pain of the conversion process. I see no merit in using media library as there are other options to view videos/photos from synology :p

Plex media centre is much better option for viewing videos on synology via TV or just map the folder to a computer and watch the videos/photos via computer ;)

• Advertisement

Pinkman wrote: »
    I cannot get over how useless the Synology support is on this issue. They take 5 days to reply to each bloody email. My DS214Play is still waking up from hibernation every 20-30 minutes and they have no solutions. They just keep apologising for any inconvenience caused. Considering how expensive their products are this really is not acceptable.

I agree completely that Synology customer support is worse than customer support in a car boot sale. For the cost you pay for the device, you expect better treatment.

I had major issue with their power brick not supporting 4 HDDs booting up simultaneously on my DS411 though I was using the HDDs from their list.
    They even send me a new power brick but no joy.
    I ended up not rebooting often and every reboot means I need to disconnect a HDD for 4-5 seconds while boot up.
    The issue was boot up power draw for four HDDs was too much for the brick.
    But I decided to live with it.

Coming back to ur issue, waking from hibernation is not bad if you know why it is happening. Here are few reasons
    1> You are torrenting.
    2> You have many devices (TV/mobile) on the network and they are trying to access the DS214Play in the middle of night.
    3> Photo/Video conversion is going on.
    4> You have scheduled disk checks or backups.

Try following procedure to rule out some culprits.
    Disconnect DS214 from network for a while and see if it still wakes from hibernation. If it doesn't wake up while disconnected, a device on network is causing the wakeup. 1 or 2 from the above list are culprits.
    If it does wake up, 3 or 4 are culprits.

Post back if you need any further info.

DISCLAIMER : I am not an employee for Synology but love their NAS and over years have done lots of messing about on my DS411+ ;)

I just tried to upload to folders of data to the NAS.

I got the following message each time (see screen shot).

What have I done to prevent the files being able to be uploaded like other times?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

My DS713+ is the same really - never sleeps and is running 24/7. In the end I just gave up trying to sort it. As others have said, the Synology forum is full of people with similar issues, generally unresolved. The problem is that Synology simply don't know what causes it from one machine to the next. While I've regularly seen their customer service lauded, the reality is that it's not great.

As well as checking the network as above, I'd also disable all the services and see if it sleeps. Then re-enable them one by one to see what's causing an issue. My experience is that the package responsible seems to change, or it's one you need to have enabled full time.

My DS713+ is the same really - never sleeps and is running 24/7. In the end I just gave up trying to sort it. As others have said, the Synology forum is full of people with similar issues, generally unresolved. The problem is that Synology simply don't know what causes it from one machine to the next. While I've regularly seen their customer service lauded, the reality is that it's not great.

As well as checking the network as above, I'd also disable all the services and see if it sleeps. Then re-enable them one by one to see what's causing an issue. My experience is that the package responsible seems to change, or it's one you need to have enabled full time.

Thanks.

Any idea why I can't upload files though? I attached a pic of what comes up in my last post.

Thanks.

Any idea why I can't upload files though? I attached a pic of what comes up in my last post.

Will I have to format things to get them back to normal?

Just want to be able to upload files at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Thanks.

No clue, sorry.

No clue, sorry.

I can drag/drop individual files but when I try and drag/drop a folder - it doesn't work for some reason.

I can drag/drop individual files but when I try and drag/drop a folder - it doesn't work for some reason.

Folder drag/drop needs to be supported via browser.It can be wonky sometimes. I can get it working in Chrome but not in Firefox. I think it to do with adblock or something.

I normally map NAS folder as drive to windows machine and copy folders easily.
    Other option is to use File Station -> Upload (from toolbar). This allows multiple files only.
    Also FTP works from folders.

Advertisement