Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Problem with new switch and UPC

Options
  • 22-01-2015 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I have UPC broadband (technicolour modem) and I'm having problems setting up my new smart switch (tp-link TL-SL2210)
    link to spec; http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-SL2210

When I connect up the switch, I loose internet connection and strangely, I loose wifi as well. I've reset both devices, changed patch leads around but the same thing happens. Then if I disconnect the switch, everything goes back to normal and the wifi & broadband works again.

Can anyone help? thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Are you plugging the switch into the internet(wan) port of the router, instead of one of the free 4 ports?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭touchdown77

I don't think so, there are just 4 ports on the back, I'm plugging switch into one of the yellow ports, see image here;

g_-_-x-_-_-_39235x20130214114350_0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Connect a laptop to the modem with ethernet, then link the switch and modem. See if you get any traffic or what the laptop reports the link state to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Is that a managed switch?
    If so you will need to five the switch an ip address first I'd imagine.

Connect a laptop to the modem with ethernet, then link the switch and modem. See if you get any traffic or what the laptop reports the link state to be.

Will try that and report what happens here

Is that a managed switch?
    If so you will need to five the switch an ip address first I'd imagine.

I don't know, the description is a smart switch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I don't know, the description is a smart switch?

It is managed, or "smart".

Even with no config or the default config it shouldnt be able to take the WLAN off the air. BTW you could have bought a "dumb" switch, a managed unit is only needed for more advanced setups/users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

It is a managed switch... It has an ip address.. You need to look in the documents that came with it to see what it's default ip is.
    Set your laptop to a static ip in the same subnet as the switch... Connect to the switch Web interface.. Set it's ip to the same subnet as your router... (use an address outside the range of your routers DHCP pool) disconnect and reboot the switch.
    Set your laptop back to automatic ip address... Connect switch to router... Connect devices to switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The switches default address is 192.168.0.1

I'm going to take a guess and say that your UPC box is also set to 192.168.0.1

http://www.tp-link.com/resources/document/TL-SL2210_V1_UG.pdf

Go to chapter 3. The best option would be to change the switch IP to 192.168.0.2

Thanks everyone for your advice !

Advertisement