Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats the most useful language to know?

• 15-04-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

So I'm thinkin of learning a language, branchin out a little.

I was lookin at them Rosetta Stone things and gonna get one I reckon but they're really expensive. Just wondering what would be the most useful language to know, in your opinion?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

COBOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

English

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Mandarin then English then Spanish

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Engrish.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Rosetta Stone is crap - don't waste your money! You can get all the language resources you need on the web for free. Get a book or two as well and you're sorted.

Pick a language of a country you'd like to visit or just enjoy the sound of. I'm learning Swedish which, while not terribly useful in an international sense, will be most helpful in any Scandinavian country I find myself in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

English and then Google translator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Irish. You know, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Catalan or Klingon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Pick a language of a country you'd like to visit or just enjoy the sound of. I'm learning Swedish which, while not terribly useful in an international sense, will be most helpful in any Scandinavian country I find myself in :D

Was considering Swedish myself, I have a house mate who is a swede so that would work well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Esperanto

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Was considering Swedish myself, I have a house mate who is a swede so that would work well!

I would highly recommend it. It's one of the easiest languages for english natives to learn :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

English then Spanish, then take your pick from Chinese (mandarin), French and German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Klingon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• C++

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Foreign languages are overrated, just rock up to johnny foreigner and speak English in a slow, loud and over pronounced voice. Works every time.

Not being able to speak English, lazy buggers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Do you aspire to live in a country where the first language is not english?

Which country?

That language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Superbus wrote: »
    Irish. You know, just in case.

They'd be better off learning Polish, all the better to communicate with the locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

american

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

You ask what is the most useful. It depends on you & what you want to do in life. I learn Spanish due to having Spanish friends. No jobs there but you can enjoy your holiday more. The I learnt (Well tried Polish) very hard to learn but still giving it a go as my wife is Polish. Now due to no work in Ireland I am in Germany learning German with is good as I got a job using English mostly.

Think why, when, how and if you will use it in the future so you have a better chance of learning something you can use.

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 twinge

I'd go for any of the UN official languages:
    Russian
    French
    Spanish
    Mandarin
    English
    Arabic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Dolphin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Basque...because Athletic Bilbao will win the Europa League :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Sign language should be up there as one of the most important languages to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

This is like asking what the 'best colour is'....there is no objective answer.

Unless you intend on moving to a country where English isn't commonly used or making a career out of teaching/translating/working with another language; there is very little practical advantage to learning a second language. There are many, many other more useful things you could do with your time.

If you are planing on moving to another country; obviously the dominate/primary language of that country would be the most useful for you.

Political and economic climates change pretty quick though - so if you look at the countries you are likely to want to go to now, in 10, 15, 20 years - those might be countries you would be unlikely to want to go to. I remember back in the US during the 80s a lot of people were telling children to learn Japanese because they were convinced Japan would be the dominant economic powerhouse in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Well I'm stuck in Ireland for the next four years doing a course. I do intend on travelling in the future and living somewhere else, but I haven't settled on any one area.

I'm drawn to Italian and I love Italy, but it just doesn't seem internationally useful...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Simlish

How to say hello in Simlish

Ah, van vesua! Cummuns nala.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

C++

C. Get the very basics down, derivatives like C++ and Java are actually easier as a result :D

Advertisement