Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Time for lane and triffic light cams ?

• 20-03-2012 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

I hate the idea of the roads ( or country ) being over policed but given the amount of red light jumpers and lane hoggers we have here is it time we used "safety cameras" to police this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rOBeRt frETt

in a word - yes. especially for all those idiots who fly down the bus lane and then stick their indicator on causing the very traffic they are trying to avoid. perhaps cameras would be a deterrent or perhaps we could get into the bus lane once they get in and just drive up along side them with your indicator on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Reg Light Gatso's aren't perfect.

There are a few situations where you get stuck in the junction and get flashed by the camera.

IMO for them to work you need to put them on Junctions that are black spots and have them clearly advertised.

For the Lane hoggers there are overhead gantry solutions that also measure tailgating as well as lane hogging.

IMO a sliding scale for both would make people think twice.

E.G. here in Germany it was 280 euros for under 1.5 seconds after passing a red light, for over 1.5 seconds it was 900 euros and a 3 month ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blue5

Can I just say in case there's any confusion that bus lanes do have public use times advertised on little blue signs at the side of the road.

The number of people who have nearly run into the back of the car in front of them (thinking I was trying to get into their lane) while I was using the bus lane at the correct time astounds me. The attitude of "you'll not get ahead of me" needs to stop. I'm all for safe driving and progression but blocking people who are trying to pass because there's a hazardous/potentially dangerous driver in front of them is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

blue5 wrote: »
    The attitude of "you'll not get ahead of me" needs to stop. .

It wouldnt exist if there werent people abusing things like bus lanes or left/right turn only lanes to skip ahead of a line of traffic. Using a bus lane out of hours is well and good, but theres no shortage of people using them when they are in operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

blue5 wrote: »
    Can I just say in case there's any confusion that bus lanes do have public use times advertised on little blue signs at the side of the road.

SSHHH ! :pac::pac::pac:

and agree with OP povided it worked correctly for breaking lights etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭creedp

Reg Light Gatso's aren't perfect.

There are a few situations where you get stuck in the junction and get flashed by the camera.

IMO for them to work you need to put them on Junctions that are black spots and have them clearly advertised.

For the Lane hoggers there are overhead gantry solutions that also measure tailgating as well as lane hogging.

IMO a sliding scale for both would make people think twice.

E.G. here in Germany it was 280 euros for under 1.5 seconds after passing a red light, for over 1.5 seconds it was 900 euros and a 3 month ban.

Should have this on the Slane road heading south this morning when a truck carrying a full load of concrete slabs (in a 12 Mn truck) went flying through the red light on the truck lane at least 5 seconds after the light had gone red. At the time there was very heavy fog and so visibility was crap.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'm not long back from California, where they have red light cams. Very effective there. It's a $480 fine for being caught breaking a red light by these cameras, and they tend to be a very good deterrant.

I think they would be great here, especially since we have no reason not to stop at a red light (over there you can turn on a red).

Traffic lane cameras, would work if done correctly (noting the day/time when a bus lane is in operation, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Yes all these things will come, in the same way as we accepted clamping and onstreet parking fees.

We just love to bend over and make ourselves miserable don't we!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Paulw wrote: »
    I'm not long back from California, where they have red light cams. Very effective there. It's a $480 fine for being caught breaking a red light by these cameras, and they tend to be a very good deterrant.

I think they would be great here, especially since we have no reason not to stop at a red light (over there you can turn on a red).

Traffic lane cameras, would work if done correctly (noting the day/time when a bus lane is in operation, etc).

Ah, but some states have started (and completely) removed their red light cameras, or if they still exist they don't actually send out a fine. Reason behind it was because people jammed on the brakes at the last second when they spotted the cameras ahead and caused accidents all over the place, which is exactly what would happen over here I'd imagine. The slightest whiff of a garda vehicle and people stomp on the brakes, even if they were well under the limit anyway!

corktina wrote: »
    Yes all these things will come, in the same way as we accepted clamping and onstreet parking fees.

We just love to bend over and make ourselves miserable don't we!

I dont see how peopel stopping for red lights etc is make them miserable? In fact gettign hit by someone that comes through a red light would make be much more miserabel than if they stopped at it.

I was pulling out at a junction a couple of years back at the end of a road near me I use everyday . I was 2nd in the queue and the light went green. I had been distracted for a second and was a bit slow to pull out so there was about a 10 -15 metre gap to the first car. With that a guy comes sailign through the lights from my right straight between me and te car in front. On any other day I'd have been in a very fast side on crash.

As for clamping. Cant say thats made me miserable either, I've never been clamped. Most likely becaus eof the way I park though rather than just luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

On street parking then? does that not make you miserable when you have to go find a shop that sells a disc and scrape all the silver ibits off. Would you not be happier if you could park where you like?

I know of a UK town with bus lane cameras where you will get a ticket if you put as much as one wheel into the bus lane for a second. It dosn't have any point unless you delay a bus by doing so and to fine people for doing it is simply revenue generation, designed to make otherwise law-abiding citizens unhappy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

On street parking then? does that not make you miserable when you have to go find a shop that sells a disc and scrape all the silver ibits off. Would you not be happier if you could park where you like?

I know of a UK town with bus lane cameras where you will get a ticket if you put as much as one wheel into the bus lane for a second. It dosn't have any point unless you delay a bus by doing so and to fine people for doing it is simply revenue generation, designed to make otherwise law-abiding citizens unhappy.

With you on the parking, as Jezza once said the most idiotic use for a motor vehicle is to drive around for an hour looking for a place to park, thereby adding to traffic build up and pollution.
    But when it comes to rule enforcement I am getting more right wing and fascist as I get older.
    I want arseholes that block entrances and disabled spaces to be clamped and towed.
    I want bastards that deliberately use the wrong lane in order to boot it past everyone else to get a €120 fine and two points.
    I want **** that deliberately hog the "fasht" lane to get the same, plus being forced to sit their test again, theory at least.
    I would like the Traffic Crap to actually enforce rules, rather than just go "tax, insurance, graaand!" whilst waving a burning car with an axe-murderer at the wheel through a check-point or just standing there with a hairdrier.
    In short, this country needs at least a decade of brutal, fascist enforcement of the ROTR to just get it through people's thick skulls that the road is there for everyone, not just them and their rotten brood.
    Maybe then some sense of discipline will finally evolve.
    Because right now it's just Me from A to B any which way as long as I get there first.

With you on the parking, as Jezza once said the most idiotic use for a motor vehicle is to drive around for an hour looking for a place to park, thereby adding to traffic build up and pollution.
    But when it comes to rule enforcement I am getting more right wing and fascist as I get older.
    I want arseholes that block entrances and disabled spaces to be clamped and towed.
    I want bastards that deliberately use the wrong lane in order to boot it past everyone else to get a €120 fine and two points.
    I want **** that deliberately hog the "fasht" lane to get the same, plus being forced to sit their test again, theory at least.
    I would like the Traffic Crap to actually enforce rules, rather than just go "tax, insurance, graaand!" whilst waving a burning car with an axe-murderer at the wheel through a check-point or just standing there with a hairdrier.
    In short, this country needs at least a decade of brutal, fascist enforcement of the ROTR to just get it through people's thick skulls that the road is there for everyone, not just them and their rotten brood.
    Maybe then some sense of discipline will finally evolve.
    Because right now it's just Me from A to B any which way as long as I get there first.

I want for people to chill out and stop getting so worked up about stuff thats completely out of their control.

I want for people to chill out and stop getting so worked up about stuff thats completely out of their control.

You've been in Germany, you might have noticed whilst there is enforcement, there isn't a police office on every street corner.
    First thing I noticed when I came here is squad cars everywhere and cops on the street everywhere.
    In Germany you wouldn't see half as much of that, yet you also wouldn't see half as much bad lane discipline, disregard for speed limits, disregard for lights, disregard for parking regulations and any kind of rule or law whatsoever.
    There is just a mindset that says "this is the law, that's what everyone else does and I have to stick to that"
    Here it is "if I just shnake past that huge line of traffic with my left indicator on and then floor it past the first car at the front I can go ahead of all these suckers! The system works for me!"
    The Irish are just inherently bad at obeying laws, first thing they will do when a new law comes around is to say "How can I get around this?" and the second is "How can I make this work for me?"
    As a German I have to admit it grates my nerves. Whilst also invoking some kind stupefied awe and jealousy in me, because I could never drive past 50 cars, park across the entrance to a shopping center, sealing the place off, parking everywhere I damn well please or just in general regard other road users as decoration at best.
    I am genuinely conflicted about this, I love it and hate in in equal measures, I guess I've been here too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if somebody could invent a camera that detects car doors opening or cars on pavements it would be perfect for outside schools. Sick of the delays caused by mothers running their kids 5 minutes up the road and jamming on outside school gates

Anywhere that has shops that I would use , ie Dublin City centre, any of the suburban areas like Tallaght, Clondalkin, Lucan etc, when parking was free there was non because people just abandon cars there for the day.

Bottom line is people cant be trusted to police themselves properly. As in the school parking thread on AH the other day, a good percentage of people are ignorant and/or selfish. Once they are sorted, **** everyone else.

Have ticketed parking and traffic wardens usually ensure there actually parking available.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭bbuzz

especially for all those idiots who fly down the bus lane and then stick their indicator on causing the very traffic they are trying to avoid.

I was thinking about that the other day, since a bus lane has a continuous white line, with breaks in it for junctions and the starts and ends of bus lanes, once you're in a bus lane you can't actually move into another lane unless there is a break in the line (kind of like most car pool lanes in the states). Am I right in thinking that that is technically correct?

I know taxis and buses (and cars after 7) blatantly ignore this.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blue5

Having recently spent 5 days driving in the UK and returning home to Irish driving, it's definitely peoples attitudes over here causing problems. They don't care, "sure Johns a grand lad down the pub" and " Marys great, she's so confident" completely selfish behind the wheel when their family/friends/neighbours/clients aren't around to see. Ever been pushed off the road by a sales rep or a woman driving a jeep?

Those who make the rules and 'enforce' them still don't manage to get it done fairly or properly. We'll turn into China before we know where we are. Not a good thing, even Google had to leave it was so restrictive.

If we didn't have public use of the bus lanes at certain times, traffic wouldn't flow and people will spend yet more of their lives in ques. You will always get people who break the rules, no matter what you do, just don't make the rest of us suffer because of their attitudes and behaviour.

You've been in Germany, you might have noticed whilst there is enforcement, there isn't a police office on every street corner.
    First thing I noticed when I came here is squad cars everywhere and cops on the street everywhere.
    In Germany you wouldn't see half as much of that, yet you also wouldn't see half as much bad lane discipline, disregard for speed limits, disregard for lights, disregard for parking regulations and any kind of rule or law whatsoever.
    There is just a mindset that says "this is the law, that's what everyone else does and I have to stick to that"
    Here it is "if I just shnake past that huge line of traffic with my left indicator on and then floor it past the first car at the front I can go ahead of all these suckers! The system works for me!"
    The Irish are just inherently bad at obeying laws, first thing they will do when a new law comes around is to say "How can I get around this?" and the second is "How can I make this work for me?"
    As a German I have to admit it grates my nerves. Whilst also invoking some kind stupefied awe and jealousy in me, because I could never drive past 50 cars, park across the entrance to a shopping center, sealing the place off, parking everywhere I damn well please or just in general regard other road users as decoration at best.
    I am genuinely conflicted about this, I love it and hate in in equal measures, I guess I've been here too long.

Obviously you've never been to Duesseldorf then, people park wherever the hell they like.

Its quite common for someone to just dump their car in a driving lane and block in two parked cars.

I came out of my apartment one day and a guy had blocked me into a parking space which i had a bloody permit for, called the cops never turned up, sat there on the horn for 10 minutes, yer man came out of the pub, moved his car, I moved out and then he moved his car into my space and then went back into the pub.

So yeh.. it happens here too ;)

Obviously you've never been to Duesseldorf then, people park wherever the hell they like.

Its quite common for someone to just dump their car in a driving lane and block in two parked cars.

I came out of my apartment one day and a guy had blocked me into a parking space which i had a bloody permit for, called the cops never turned up, sat there on the horn for 10 minutes, yer man came out of the pub, moved his car, I moved out and then he moved his car into my space and then went back into the pub.

So yeh.. it happens here too ;)

Sounds like the place is gone to the dogs!:p

• Advertisement

Sounds like the place is gone to the dogs!:p

In fairness I think its an exception ... Duessldorf is pretty 'special' in its parking situation :D

I parked illegally in the Hague (Magic Hazards outside the apartment)
    The Police where there in about 3 - 4 minutes :rolleyes:

In fairness I think its an exception ... Duessldorf is pretty 'special' in its parking situation :D

I parked illegally in the Hague (Magic Hazards outside the apartment)
    The Police where there in about 3 - 4 minutes :rolleyes:

I remember playing the "no parking ticket game" in Kempten a lot and never gotten nicked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

The Gatso GS11 is being/about to be trialled for use in Ireland

It can be used as a speed cam and red light cam at the same time

ie Red light cam and Speed on green.

heres a snap of one of the pages from the brochure

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

The campaign to keep people in the left lane isnt very effective because every time I use the motorway you get the people doing 110 in the right hand line. Or people pulling into the right hand lane doing 100 to pass a truck thats a kilometer away.. Oh and then they see another truck a kilometer away and decide it would be handier for them if they stay where they are for another 5 minutes...

I usually wait patiently for a minute or two but most forget to go back to the left so I drop down to 3rd to make some noise and then they get out of the way...

The only way to stop it is to monitor a few motorways and fine the middle lane and outside lane dawdlers. Then when paddy tells his friends he got a fine for it people might finally learn

Advertisement