Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road tax on camper vans

• 25-04-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭

OH chatting about maybe getting a CV in the future, and because of this I have started to look at ones for sale just for info purposes.

Seen a few good examples that have big engines, and was wondering if they have the same road tax levels as cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

If it is registered as a campervan, the tax is €88 per year (or it was last year when I paid anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Yup. Provided its classed as a motorcaravan, tax is €88

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 schoonerman

does anyone have any up date on Doe Testing for camper vans . Just had mine taxed this month and I do not have DOE cert

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

DOE not mandatory for taxing motorhomes, but "new" EU rules coming (possibly in 2012) which will require an NCT type test. Check out www.rsa.ie for details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

paddyb wrote: »
    If it is registered as a campervan, the tax is €88 per year (or it was last year when I paid anyway).

there is an upper limit , isn't there? AFAIK truck engined ones cost more to tax .

OP ,what size engines were you looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 joe86

is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 joe86

is it hard to get a van changed into a camper van

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    there is an upper limit , isn't there? AFAIK truck engined ones cost more to tax . OP ,what size engines were you looking at?

The basis of assessment (BOA) is the vehicle detail which facilitates the calculation of the appropriate motor tax fee.
    The Motor Caravan rate of taxation is €88 with no reference to engine size.

BTW as of to-day,the online facility to renew tax is still available without the requirement of a roadworthiness certificate...............I have just renewed mine, so the status quo remains unchanged.

When I went to tax my van, they tried to tell me that I needed a DOE cert for it too. had to explain it to them for a few minutes that even the stipulations on their own tax forms mentioned nothing about the class of vehicle I was trying to tax. Got it taxed without a DOE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I taxed mine recently at the tax office and there was no mention of a DOE cert being required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irishrver

Taxed mine today still no nct/doe cert required cork office :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mc_attack

The consistency is fantastic, i brought my van in and was asked for a new DOE cert even though there wad 6 months left on the existing one. I did the test and went back into the office with both certs, but just gave in the old one. 2 minutes later i have my new tax disc and no mention of the new cert.
    That was €100 well spent.

mc_attack wrote: »
    The consistency is fantastic, i brought my van in and was asked for a new DOE cert even though there wad 6 months left on the existing one. I did the test and went back into the office with both certs, but just gave in the old one. 2 minutes later i have my new tax disc and no mention of the new cert.
    That was €100 well spent.

I wouldn't have wasted my time if I was you. i'd have argued the toss with them. Chances are you know more about it than they do....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I did mine online, went on website Sunday night and disc arrived by post yesterday (Tuesday) morning, only one working day in between.
    How painless was that :)

It would appear it's best to avoid all human contact when making the transaction :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

Agree with Niloc - did mine online last week also and arrived the following day.

Advertisement