Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Tea. There is not a problem in the world that can't be solved by tea. I often wonder if Hitler had an unlimited supply of Barrys (or Lyons), would the world war have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

Hersheys wrote: »
    A little positivity goes a long way.

The past week has been a rollercoaster to say the least but I think I hit the bottom because eventually it reached a stage where no matter where i looked things were looking up.

I had an awful sunday/monday. An amazing therapy session Tuesday - Sunday had been so bad I had nothing to lose. I was more open than ever before, I cried, I laughed, I planned for the future. I felt amazing. Then Tuesday night I crashed a contemplated the unthinkable. Since then though things have taken a turn towards positivity.

I don't want to jinx it but today I smiled and it was real. A friend said I hadn't been more positive in ages. Another commented how I look like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Another person commented on how I scrub up well and have a certain confidence about me.

I think that after almost 2 years of hell the fog is finally lifting.

(I'm aware this is 3 am but I'm not drinking. Just been working.)

(And I apologise if this comes across as bragging. It's not meant to. It's hopefully going to give people hope that with some determination, positivity and the right therapist/gp/psych team, it is possible to have good days!)

Cant thank you enough for posting this.. I have been diagnosed with BPD , Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depression... A lot of the time the stuff I tell my self to self soothe doesn't work simply because I don't believe it... when I hit the downward spiral its simply words like yours that keep me going, once I read stuff like this It liturly gives me a reason to hang on..Thank You

dar926 wrote: »
    Cant thank you enough for posting this.. I have been diagnosed with BPD , Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Major Depression... A lot of the time the stuff I tell my self to self soothe doesn't work simply because I don't believe it... when I hit the downward spiral its simply words like yours that keep me going, once I read stuff like this It liturly gives me a reason to hang on..Thank You

Have pm'd you a link that might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I've got an appointment at pieta house on Monday morning. Kinda nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

have the urge to go on a bender,does anyone do this when they are feeling manic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Bit of muscle tension for the first time in ages. Went doc, got some .25 Xanax to help me sleep.

Day two, they are nowhere to be found. And the best of luck to me getting more from the doc after two days...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

have the urge to go on a bender,does anyone do this when they are feeling manic?

Yup, when up i feel like a session and bringing anyone near me on it.. When down will put myself in dark corner for a few, luckily i've learnt not to do so as much anymore but i used to be a complete disaster for giving in to any urge..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

I hear ya man.only do it once every couple of years and my justification is well I can open up to my wife when I am out of my face.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's surely truth serum alright. Not always the best idea, at least for me.. My mood cycles so rapidly that i can start in good form but fall into bad form and sometimes even back into good again in an hour.. It's too disconcerting - people i know aren't really able for it either..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

It's surely truth serum alright. Not always the best idea, at least for me.. My mood cycles so rapidly that i can start in good form but fall into bad form and sometimes even back into good again in an hour.. It's too disconcerting - people i know aren't really able for it either..

Does your medication stabilize the moods well into something more even most of the time? I'm thinking of BPD with that question in mind, I don't know if it applies to you or not.

• Advertisement

Does your medication stabilize the moods well into something more even most of the time? I'm thinking of BPD with that question in mind, I don't know if it applies to you or not.

The seroquel i'm on helps, hospital have said i have a personality issue of some sort, but my thinking patterns drive me down.. CBT is starting soon, try curb that, however i can also think myself into quite a manic state. As far as i can see that's a less common issue and will take more work..

Hopefully the CBT will start soon. Have you seen the psych for a formal diagnosis?

Hersheys wrote: »
    Hopefully the CBT will start soon. Have you seen the psych for a formal diagnosis?

Hopefully - taking it's time but then again what's a few months when this has been me half my life?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Yes, but it won't make things easier.
    Please take good care of yourself:)

I hear ya man.only do it once every couple of years and my justification is well I can open up to my wife when I am out of my face.

Would it be easier perhaps to go out for a meal with your wife.?

Perhaps you are making it more difficult for yourself? Alcohol and prescribed meds are not the best for your health:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

banquo wrote: »
    Bit of muscle tension for the first time in ages. Went doc, got some .25 Xanax to help me sleep.

Day two, they are nowhere to be found. And the best of luck to me getting more from the doc after two days...

Having suffered from chronic muscle tension (all over my body) I'm telling you you've got to drink more water than the average person, no set amount but just have it whenever you think of it and also you've got to do some form of exercise like yoga or tai chi.

Chronic muscle tension is no joke and if you haven't already I strongly advise you get involved in a meditative exercise, there's loads on youtube.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Am a boardsie haven't been on in a very long time. Things gone to **** lately. Relationship finished left with a house worth less than a quater what the mortgage we took out on it. I feel lost. He's still living in the house im moving around mates and families houses. It was an abusive relationship.
    Put to the pin of my collar making my half of payments bank won't help. I'm low frightened and hopeless. Can't afford the gp even for support.

handbagmad wrote: »
    Am a boardsie haven't been on in a very long time. Things gone to **** lately. Relationship finished left with a house worth less than a quater what the mortgage we took out on it. I feel lost. He's still living in the house im moving around mates and families houses. It was an abusive relationship.
    Put to the pin of my collar making my half of payments bank won't help. I'm low frightened and hopeless. Can't afford the gp even for support.

Friend,
    A little bit of valuable advice here, for the first time in your life you must put yourself first. You must stay away from the abusive relationship, and concentrate on getting yourself both emotionally and physically well.
    Time will resolve the other issues. Things will get better.
    You absolutely must look after yourself, please liaise with your GP. Contrary to misconceptions your GP has a definite interest in your welfare, I'm sure the GP can defer payment of the fee for a few days. I am certain your GP would prefer you to meet than delay matters until you have the fee in your purse. A GP's priority is their patient.
    Please make an appointment with your GP, they will be your greatest ally as you go through this horrendous though temporary blip in your life.
    Please take great care of yourself, because you are worth it.
    We will watch your progress with great interest. We are here for you.
    Very sincerely,
    Del:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Having suffered from chronic muscle tension (all over my body) I'm telling you you've got to drink more water than the average person, no set amount but just have it whenever you think of it and also you've got to do some form of exercise like yoga or tai chi.

Chronic muscle tension is no joke and if you haven't already I strongly advise you get involved in a meditative exercise, there's loads on youtube.

Best of luck

Been getting this recently. I demand more advice! PM me?

Oh loads of tired. Finding the length of time i'm constantly awake is tearing my mind apart. I'm wondering if i should be considering finishing up with work.. Or trying to brave a change to another one. Oh fcukin hell.. Isn't it great how one negative thought becomes this massive ball of all the bad thoughts it's possible to have....

• Advertisement

Oh loads of tired. Finding the length of time i'm constantly awake is tearing my mind apart. I'm wondering if i should be considering finishing up with work.. Or trying to brave a change to another one. Oh fcukin hell.. Isn't it great how one negative thought becomes this massive ball of all the bad thoughts it's possible to have....

Just take it easy. If you are having difficulty sleeping is this something you could get sorted with your GP ?
    Don't make any hasty decisions about giving up work. Better to stick with what you have than consider changing jobs at a time when you are exhausted and may make the wrong decision.
    Is your job or workplace causing your illness. ????

I'm being treated on an ongoing basis, extra head worries exacerbating problem. Work an issue alright. added stress the last few months.. No decision i put up here hasn't been washed around by my brain a few hundred times or more before it went up here.. Just end of tether in a hayp of ways.. Ah well, off to work i go shortly, irony eh?.

I'm being treated on an ongoing basis, extra head worries exacerbating problem. Work an issue alright. added stress the last few months.. No decision i put up here hasn't been washed around by my brain a few hundred times or more before it went up here.. Just end of tether in a hayp of ways.. Ah well, off to work i go shortly, irony eh?.

Take good care of yourself. Perhaps a little break from work? Have you any holidays planned or leave due? :) Can the work stress issues be addressed with your Employer? It would lessen the pressure on you if work situation was a little less stressful:)

Take good care of yourself. Perhaps a little break from work? Have you any holidays planned or leave due? :) Can the work stress issues be addressed with your Employer? It would lessen the pressure on you if work situation was a little less stressful:)

Ps. Perhaps the hot ,humid , thundery weather is also adding to your tiredness.
    I found it hard to sleep last night, and as a result I am feeling very tired today.:)

Just had my assessment at pieta house there.

How did it go cloud?

I don't know really. The woman was quite nice, but she was saying a lot of stuff, asking like 'on scale of one to ten how suicidal are you' and I didn't really know what to say.

Just be honest. Unless you're honest they can't help you effectively. The more honest you are, the more effective the treatment will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Hello all. First time posting in this section. Well after putting it off for so long (nearly 3 years!) I finally went to the GP and long and behold he told me I have depression. Got prescribed Lexapro for a few weeks to start to help with the depression and anxiety. Has anyone any experience with Lexapro? I've started CBT a few weeks ago, has anyone gone for CBT? Did ye find it helped? I never in a million years thought at age 20 id be on antidepressants:(

Tried talking to some close friends about it when I'm down/upset for no apparent reason and have got the "think positive thoughts" in response and wanted to punch them each in the face. I don't think they understand that some days I just want to stay in bed rather than face the world :(

I know things could be worse. I just don't know how I feel or what to do.

Any advice/support?

• Advertisement

Welcome. Sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

There's not a lot I can say. Each persons experiences are different.

Regarding the lexapro I was on it for ~ 2 years, on its own and in conjunction with other meds. How long have you been on the meds? I've heard wonder stories and horror stories for lexapro. I had neither. Lexapro got me through. When I changed doctor she referred me to a psych who changed me to a different med as I have a personality disorder rather than depression/anxiety and the depression/anxiety was a symptom rather than a diagnosis.

I found CBT helpful. I find that you get out of therapy what you put into it. The more honest/open you are with the therapist the better able they are equipped to deal with your problems. If they give you "homework" to do (usually in the form of a diary at the start, and other exercises later), do it. You see a therapist for 1 hour in a week that has 168 of them. If you're able to, try keep track of anything that triggers a low mood or anything that helps you feel in any way better. Show these to your therapist - it will help him/her deal with your issues more effectively. Even just keep a note so that when the dreaded "so how have you been" question gets asked, you have an answer pretty much formulated without having to say "well, eh, I suppose I'm alright".

Feel free to post here any time, or PM if you've any further questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement