Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Anglers Rest - A plaice :-) for fishy tales - it was HOW big !!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Good article here about Jack shine catching porgies off the clare rocks years ago if anybody is interested

http://www.fishingfilmsandfacts.co.uk/Porbeagles%20From%20The%20Shore3.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭2smokinbarrels

Lads something similar in the hunting session found it real funny, do the fishing meself so I know it fits in here!
    story tellers and spoofers the stuff you hear over the years,

Ie

years ago on the coast raod dollyer had the norm a dog walker asking me what you fishing for answered heard there is bass been caught he said yeah i had a 30lb er here i started laughing I looked at him he was stairing me down not even a grine he was serious!
    not impressed he stormed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

3 pike on lough ree today best 10lb 2oz caught by my son,

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

i was going through some old photos of the fish i caught throughout the years, when i came across this one.
    while i wish i could claim the credit for it, it was, actually a friend of mine who caught it.

when we landed it we could hardly believe how big it was. the first thing we done was to weight the fish
    in the net. as far as i can remember the scales we were using only went up to 30 lbs so we were not surprised
    when the scales clocked itself.

we then took a mark on the scales at where the needle landed past zero. when we got home we hung up the
    scales, and filled the net back up with stones to where the needle had landed when the pike was in it.
    after all that we split the stones in two, and weighed the two half's. to our surprise the total weight
    came to 44.8 lbs. eek.png

looking at the photo today I'm thinking how the camera didn't do the fish any justice.
    Ive goggled 40 lbs pike to try and get a comparison, but all it shows is pike either a way smaller
    or twice as large claiming to be 40+ lbs.

i guess ill never know for sure, but from that day on Ive always carried a 50 lbs scales just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Had a great day down in Curragh springs on thursday. 3 of us, one who had never fly fished before, had nearly 30 trout betwen us despite the lake being full of ice. Some nice fish up to 4 lb. Just one of those days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

First salmon of 2013

Not long now and we'll be dusting down the fly gear again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you don't mind lads could do with a bit of help regarding putting together a basic set up.
    I used to fish when I was younger on the liffey with my dad, but we got by with the basics. A telescopic rod, few spinners, and some small hooks, floats and weights. Since then, any time I've gone fishing its been as a group on a small charter where gear is all supplied. Bottom fishing for flathead, snapper, gurnard or tuna fishing. (I live in Oz btw)
    I'm planning a weekend camping and fishing and need to get myself sorted with my own basic set up. I went into the shop today and was a bit list with the selection available.

Even some simple like hooks was broken into worm, suicide, bait holder, and jig head varieties.
    Then there was lures. Spinners, wobble, hard bodied diving ones, soft ones. Plastic bait with and without hooks.

Any help guys.

Oh, and we'll be fishing on streams near the beach or from the rocks/beach/jetties.
    Remember it's summer here it that relevant. Apologies for the ramble

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

Mellor wrote: »
    If you don't mind lads could do with a bit of help regarding putting together a basic set up.
    I used to fish when I was younger on the liffey with my dad, but we got by with the basics. A telescopic rod, few spinners, and some small hooks, floats and weights. Since then, any time I've gone fishing its been as a group on a small charter where gear is all supplied. Bottom fishing for flathead, snapper, gurnard or tuna fishing. (I live in Oz btw)
    I'm planning a weekend camping and fishing and need to get myself sorted with my own basic set up. I went into the shop today and was a bit list with the selection available.

Even some simple like hooks was broken into worm, suicide, bait holder, and jig head varieties.
    Then there was lures. Spinners, wobble, hard bodied diving ones, soft ones. Plastic bait with and without hooks.

Any help guys.

Oh, and we'll be fishing on streams near the beach or from the rocks/beach/jetties.
    Remember it's summer here it that relevant. Apologies for the ramble
    I was chatting to a fiahing buddy whos in oz a few weeks ago. He reckons the gear out there is completley different to here. He said what we class as very cheap gear is also low end out there but expensive. He reckoned a pack of hoks was twice the price of ireland and he didnt recognise any brands.
    Im not much help to ya on what to buy im afraid but call to a local shop and tell them what you intend to fish for and tell them your budget. They should sort you out.

Oz is dear in general, the price of everything is high, but so are the wages.

This wasn't a tackle shop though so nobody to ask, K-Mart, big place with everything, where the staff know nothing.

I was most confused by the different hooks, worm, suicide, bait holder - these aren't brands but types from the one brand. Jig heads at least I understand. I used to buy hooks by size and that was all to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

Mellor wrote: »

I was most confused by the different hooks, worm, suicide, bait holder - .
    worm hooks would probably be shaped like a J and have a slightly longer shank. this would enable the easy baiting of worms,
    bait holder hooks usually have tiny barbs on the shanks to stop the bait moving,
    suicide hooks, i dunno, never heard of them:eek:.

worm hooks, if similar to the ones we use here would probably be a good starting point. google "kamasan b 940" and if they are the same type of hook then they will do fine.
    for hook size you need to find out what you are likely to catch and what baits you need. big hooks for big baits and small for small. seems common sense but youd be surprised at how many people have big baits on small hooks with the hook point covered and they wonder why they are getting bites but cant hook up.
    rod and reel again will depend on the area fished and target species so try and get as much info on your intended area as possible before you buy anything.
    sorry, you probably have more questions now than when you started.

• Advertisement

A few photos of them oz fish would be appreciated if you have a bit of luck and could post them in our pictures thread :-)

SeaFields wrote: »
    A few photos of them oz fish would be appreciated if you have a bit of luck and could post them in our pictures thread :-)
    I'll try get some pics for you guys. Won't forget my camera this time.
    Caught a flathead 2 years ago that was nearly 60cm, was disappointed I never got a pic.
    Also, a large red fish that I would have liked to identify.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Before you click this link, it's a cormorant who came off second best in a fight with a .30 while eating a rather large trout. It puts to bed the argument that they can't eat big fish. Don't look if you're squeamish!!
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.445724112167480.101870.100001896848055&type=1

Huge fernley whittingstal doing one of his commercial fishing shows again. On channel 4 now and youd catch it on +1 shortly too. Interesting stuff.

The buddy had half a dozen mackerel off the rocks in kerry today.fierce early

I went for a walk last week to one of my haunts her in north clare and seen a shoal bubbling on the surface very close to shore, can only assume it was mackerel, there was a seal following them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Hooked a tope early one morning in Lahinch at high tide.
    Hooked near the lip so teeth was not an issue.
    Was using large sandeels as bait.
    Had it nearly on the beach,and the 20lb snood was frayed too much from rubbing off the sand paper skin :)

I estimate the fish to have been close to 50 or 60lbs as I caught 30 pounders before and this lady was nearly 5 foot in length...

Another summer we were fishing a local rock mark and seen porbeagle cruising around the rocks.
    Too small to be basking shark,and the nose was much different than a basking sharks.
    So it wasn't a junior basking shark either.

When I'm surfing in deep waters I sometimes think about that warm summer of 03 and those cruising sharks :S

Geomy wrote: »
    Hooked a tope early one morning in Lahinch at high tide.
    Hooked near the lip so teeth was not an issue.
    Was using large sandeels as bait.
    Had it nearly on the beach,and the 20lb snood was frayed too much from rubbing off the sand paper skin :)

I estimate the fish to have been close to 50 or 60lbs as I caught 30 pounders before and this lady was nearly 5 foot in length...

Another summer we were fishing a local rock mark and seen porbeagle cruising around the rocks.
    Too small to be basking shark,and the nose was much different than a basking sharks.
    So it wasn't a junior basking shark either.

When I'm surfing in deep waters I sometimes think about that warm summer of 03 and those cruising sharks :S
    I know a few good shore tope marks a small bit further north than lahinch but haven't targeted them myself yet. As for the porgies, I seen one maybe 7 or 8 years ago going on the ferry from Doolin to inis oirr. Still haven't seen one at any of the rock marks though but I'm sure they still come in following the shoals from time to time. Were you looking for bass when you caught the tope? Never heard of one being hooked on the beach in lahinch before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I know a few good shore tope marks a small bit further north than lahinch but haven't targeted them myself yet. As for the porgies, I seen one maybe 7 or 8 years ago going on the ferry from Doolin to inis oirr. Still haven't seen one at any of the rock marks though but I'm sure they still come in following the shoals from time to time. Were you looking for bass when you caught the tope? Never heard of one being hooked on the beach in lahinch before.

I was fishing for anything that time,and twoards the end of the session I had 3 sandeel left so I lashed them on with elasticated cotton on a 4'0 pennel pully rig.
    Casted out as far as I could,It was a spring high tide and the water was very warm,August 03 I can remember it well.

Probably a once off but I know some people who caught tope from a Rocky platform not far from that white strand near Miltownmalbay.

I have a few rock marks in Kerry that i fish that drop quiet quickly into massively deep water and run a strong tide there. Nothing but ocean in front. If i'd the knowledge and gear I'd love to chance it for some monsters. I know of tope having been caught there and an old neighbour told me he caught a small blue shark of the rocks there 20 years ago. Could be a yarn but he has sent me to some cracking spots that i didnt know about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Isnt it very early for mackerel,what would be the first month on the season,may?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Isnt it very early for mackerel,what would be the first month on the season,may?
    It changes depending on the weather
    This time last year you'd have gotten them on the boat not far from shore but this year that Atlantic wind and cold will keep them out for longer
    Hopefully may

It is early altho not uncommon. Ive gotten them in the winter in cork harbour and as early as late march from the same mark my buddy was at last week. These would be stragglers tho. They wouldnt be around in huge numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

I have a few rock marks in Kerry that i fish that drop quiet quickly into massively deep water and run a strong tide there. Nothing but ocean in front. If i'd the knowledge and gear I'd love to chance it for some monsters. I know of tope having been caught there and an old neighbour told me he caught a small blue shark of the rocks there 20 years ago. Could be a yarn but he has sent me to some cracking spots that i didnt know about.
    the density and abundance of fish at somewhere like Coolo rock must surely attract large predators from time to time.

the density and abundance of fish at somewhere like Coolo rock must surely attract large predators from time to time.

yes i would think so. i have never fished there. i do most of my fishing solo and its not a place to go on your own. it takes lives regularly unfortunately. i fish other rock marks in the general area with serious depths ofwater in front of them. there must be monsters below!

yes i would think so. i have never fished there. i do most of my fishing solo and its not a place to go on your own. it takes lives regularly unfortunately. i fish other rock marks in the general area with serious depths ofwater in front of them. there must be monsters below!
    It's an awesome spot. just don't go anywhere near it when rough.

It's an awesome spot. just don't go anywhere near it when rough.

yeah, just to add if anyone reads this and wants to fish culoovfor the first time, call into a fishing shop on the ring of kerry and theyll tell you if conditions are safe. a lifejacket wouldnt go astray either.

it can really only accomadate a small number of rods. In recent years it's been discovered by eastern europeans who seem to fish it whatever the weather at substantial risk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5f7E95Vmbs

yeah and the valentia lifeboat has been kept busy as a result.

• Advertisement

have being keeping an eye on surf-forecast.com lately. Very good site for water temperatures. The closest reading they have to where i do my fishing in ballybunion. Temps are a degree and a half behind mean 30 year average at the mo.

Advertisement