Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Turok

Options
  • 07-06-2011 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

I'm just finishing up gathering a few achievements on the latest Turok game. Although it was flawed left right and center, it still had it's charm at times. The only other Turok game I've played is Turok: Evolution on PS2, which I absolutely loved. Some of the finest weapon ideas I've ever seen in a game, and more action than a caveman could shake a stick at. I've never played the earlier ones, because I was a PS1 man, and didn't own an N64.

Basically, I'm just wondering what peoples views on the series is. Any fans in the house? Did I get involved too late and miss all the good stuff? Should we be looking forward to an new one any time soon, and if so should it follow the dodgey space marine thing that's going on in the latest one?
    Ya know, just a general Turok discussion thread... to generally dicuss Turok.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

First game on N64 was good. Second game was great. Then it was downhill from then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Nail. Head. Hit.

Never played Evolution but after the latest I won't be buying another Turok. I thought it god awful.

The second one was an absolute gem though. A great balance between the more serious aspects and the absolutely barmy weapons. Level design, enemy design, weapon design were all extremely well done.

How could you not enjoy a game that had this :

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Orim wrote: »
    Nail. Head. Hit.

Never played Evolution but after the latest I won't be buying another Turok. I thought it god awful.

The second one was an absolute gem though. A great balance between the more serious aspects and the absolutely barmy weapons. Level design, enemy design, weapon design were all extremely well done.

How could you not enjoy a game that had this :

Yes! Now that's a monster of a weapon!
    Evolution was a great game, in my opinion (having said that, I'm not a Turok fan, so I'm not sure how much my opinion weighs here), completely different from the latest one. Plenty of great levels in it, and some fantastic weapons- from what I can remember there was a nailgun with a chaingun hidden inside, there were poison arrows that made your enimies puke up and die, and a quad attachment for your shotgun so you could fire four shells at once. There was a lot of fun to be had in that game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Found evolution to be bland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Snap just finished single player OP.

Played it for an hour when it came out and hated it, then picked it up cheap a few weeks ago.

One thing I'll say about it is that newer games and their check points had me spoiled when it came to playing this!!!!!!! I can't remember the last time I actually had to work back to a point in a game as much as this one.

Oh OP if you are on xbox and want to boost the multi player achievements my GT is Calex dEUS, morning times there is no one on so we could mop up most of them on an hour or so ;) (the medication for my achievement addiction was a waste of time :D )

The story was majorly underdeveloped in this, could have been great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

1 was good fun although crazy fogging.

2 was potentially better but I could never get over the laggy framerate as the game was in many places just a touch too ambitious for the N64.

Haven't played any other versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Never played the first one but sunk many hours into Turok 2.
    Awesome game, bloody huge too. Never did finish it:(

Haven't played any of the other ones so can't really comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Found evolution to be bland.

I really did love it. In fact, the more I'm thinking about it, the more fun I'm remembering it being.
    calex71 wrote: »
    Snap just finished single player OP.

Played it for an hour when it came out and hated it, then picked it up cheap a few weeks ago.

One thing I'll say about it is that newer games and their check points had me spoiled when it came to playing this!!!!!!! I can't remember the last time I actually had to work back to a point in a game as much as this one.

Oh OP if you are on xbox and want to boost the multi player achievements my GT is Calex dEUS, morning times there is no one on so we could mop up most of them on an hour or so ;) (the medication for my achievement addiction was a waste of time :D )

The story was majorly underdeveloped in this, could have been great.

Insane mode was all types of a bastard due to the lack of checkpoints in some spots. There were a few very rough bits involved.

No one on in the mornings? From what I've seen there's never anyone on, lol. I'm not into boosting, mate, but I might be on for the co-op missions. Hit me a PM and we can see what the craic is :)

Advertisement