Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Losers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Looks like it could be fun alright, a popcorn film. It has a better trailer than the new A-Team anyway and I'm getting an A-Team meats Oceans Eleven vibe from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,333 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Trailer

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480255/
    A tale of double cross and revenge, centered upon the members of an elite U.S. Special Forces unit sent into the Bolivian jungle on a search and destroy mission. The team-Clay, Jensen, Roque, Pooch and Cougar -find themselves the target of a lethal betrayal instigated from inside by a powerful enemy known only as Max. Presumed dead, the group makes plans to even the score when they're joined by the mysterious Aisha, a beautiful operative with her own agenda. Working together, they must remain deep undercover while tracking the heavily-guarded Max, a ruthless man bent on embroiling the world in a new high-tech global war

I guess before the A Team we have this, it looks good with a good cast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

the girl from avatar zoe something looks too thin and young for the film

i think i will wait for a team film

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I saw this last week ,its pretty bad.
    The acting is poor ,the plot is paper thin, its full of plot holes and the characters are 1 dimensional.
    Its based on a comic strip and transferring it to the big screen is a tough job due to the comedic elements and traits of the characters.
    "The Losers" is boring. It's predictable and extremely dumb.
    It did improve in the latter third but not enough to salvage itself .
    Also Zoe Saldana is horribly miscast ,she looks like an unhealthy stick insect compared to the hulking Jeffrey Dean Morgan ,he would snap her in two .
    2/5 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I didn't find it to be woeful but it's not very good and all over the place. It's certainly a brain-dead film that does the job of killing an hour and a half.

Zoe's character is just reverted to being the candy as her scenes just involve her knocking on the lead guy's door, he opens it and then they shag. This happens quite a bit.

Towards the end the action picks up but it goes ludriciously OTT to have any sort of redeeming qualities.

That being said, it does have some funny bits in it and Jason Patrick just reminds me a Will Ferrell doing a Dr. Evil routine.

It's not awful but do not expect much from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

As Duggy says. It is what it is. A braindead popcorn-muncher.

I couldn't quite follow what the hell was going on in the opening sequence, but happily it calmed down a bit after so's I could get my bearings, then went ape-shít again. I like seeing Stringer Bell in stuff too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

There's a '70s cult movie called The Losers with a similar storyline. Another pointless remake?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

pinksoir wrote: »
    I like seeing Stringer Bell in stuff too.

Strangely enough, I thought Idris Elba came out the best in this film. Everyone had their corny comedy one-liners while he seemed to have the most intelligence to his character.

He's an excellent actor, though, so he just needs to get this fluff out of the way to get onto the bigger roles.

I loved Chris Evans in this. He was best thing in the film for me stole the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I found it fairly mediocre although Chris Evans was surprisingly entertaining in it.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Strangely enough, I thought Idris Elba came out the best in this film. Everyone had their corny comedy one-liners while he seemed to have the most intelligence to his character.

He's an excellent actor, though, so he just needs to get this fluff out of the way to get onto the bigger roles.
    Absolutely. I wasn't being facetious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Not the worst thing iv ever seen but still pretty crap. The whole thing especially the end felt more like a pilot for a TV series rather than a Movie.
    Oh and Jason Patrick was terrible in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭firstprime

ok so i recently saw the film "the losers", and about 15 minutes into it somebody is talking about the main bad guy max, and he starts naming out orginisations that want him killed and one of them is (if i heard right) sinn fein. this got me fairly confused and i was wondering if anyone could verify this for me?

firstprime wrote: »
    ok so i recently saw the film "the losers", and about 15 minutes into it somebody is talking about the main bad guy max, and he starts naming out orginisations that want him killed and one of them is (if i heard right) sinn fein. this got me fairly confused and i was wondering if anyone could verify this for me?

Clay: Whatta you have on her?
    Jensen: Besides a pant-bustin' crush? Her Company file is blank. CIA has a standing kill order on her, as does Hamas, Sinn Fein... pretty much everyone with the exception of PETA wants this chick am-scrayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭firstprime

yea...that. of all the people they could have chosen sinn fein seems odd...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Saw this last weekend. It's fairly sh1t. I would recommend staying away from it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I watched it tonight and really enjoyed it. It's silly and you can generally see what's coming a mile off, but it's great fun and not trying to take itself seriously at all.

Chris Evans and Jason Patric are the highlights of the film with some brilliantly hilarious lines. I really recommend this if you just want to relax and not have to think too hard about a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Seen the trailer today........looked good.......hope to see it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Felt more like a pilot for a tv series.
    Nothing special tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭conorhal

I went to see the movie in a really foul mood and walked out with a smile on my face. Yeah it hits every action movie cliche in the book, but it does so with good humor, charming characters and a decent number of one liners. If it had one major flaw, it's that the movie felt as if it had been nutered for a PG rating.
    The other flick I caught this weekend was Prince of Persia that was as depressingly soulless as a paint by numbers summer blockbuster can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Yup. A bit of harmless fun is The Losers.

Funniest scene for me though was: Jensen (Chris Evans), under cover as a delivery guy singing "Don't Stop Believin'". Gas.

As a side note, I'm pretty sure he'll fit well in to the Captain America role. The size'a 'im!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

conorhal wrote: »
    I went to see the movie in a really foul mood and walked out with a smile on my face. Yeah it hits every action movie cliche in the book, but it does so with good humor, charming characters and a decent number of one liners. If it had one major flaw, it's that the movie felt as if it had been nutered for a PG rating.
    The other flick I caught this weekend was Prince of Persia that was as depressingly soulless as a paint by numbers summer blockbuster can be.

Please film gods, do not let this happen to Stallone's jizz fest

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BROWNE51

Fizman wrote: »
    Saw this last weekend. It's fairly sh1t. I would recommend staying away from it tbh.

Watched it a couple of weeks ago,absolute rubbish...pity,I like an auld action film and will give anything a chance but this was very poor,acting is fine just a poor script imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah it felt pg alright as we had one of the main characters shot in both legs without one drop of blood anywhere, even when he has on bandages they are pristine white :rolleyes:
    it was a fun ride and Jason Patrick just camped it up to high heaven, but i kept thinking isn't this basically the plot for the A-Team?

Went to see it last night and absolutly loved it, perfect summer fun. It's good old-fashioned fun with enough wit, explosions and great writing to ensure a smile on your face as you leave the cinema.

Hopefully DVD and Blu Ray will be storng enough that we see a follow up, so far we've only seen the first 12 issues/ 2 volumes and there are a furthur 3 volumes to go.

Please someone settle a bet for me was the guy in the hat (that dont say much only shots) Justin Long :o

I think Zoe and Jeffrey (he needs to slim down for a role like this) were miscast imo especially as
    lovers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭AlmostFamous

I saw the Losers in cinema a few days ago. I knew better than to take it seriously and just enjoyed it for what it was. It was over the top and the plot was straightforward. There was no wasted dialogue scenes. The film just went about showing action and carnage. Obivously, it's target audience isn't the intellectual artsy movie critic types. The trailer is a good indication of the film. It is a movie that won't last long in the memory but it was a better option than having to sit through over two hours of sex and the city 2.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Please someone settle a bet for me was the guy in the hat (that dont say much only shots) Justin Long :o

It's most definitely not Justin Long and is in fact Oscar Jaenada.
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think Zoe and Jeffrey (he needs to slim down for a role like this) were miscast imo especially as
    lovers

I thought Jeffrey Dean Morgan was perfect for the role and don't see why he would need slim down, were a man to say the same about a female actress he would be greeted with a torrent of abuse for being sexist. I don't see a problem with them playing lovers either though to be honest I'd be afraid he'd break her given how thin she is.

• Advertisement

It's most definitely not Justin Long and is in fact Oscar Jaenada.

I thought Jeffrey Dean Morgan was perfect for the role and don't see why he would need slim down, were a man to say the same about a female actress he would be greeted with a torrent of abuse for being sexist. I don't see a problem with them playing lovers either though to be honest I'd be afraid he'd break her given how thin she is.

Maybe it was the fact Zoe looks so skinny

Advertisement