Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Underground Ireland

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Does anyone know if the old Victorian tunnel from the Spa hotel Lucan running under the main N4 to the river still exists? It was there and photographed in the 80's but with the huge changes in the road building, was it preserved?

Sorry, the idea of this country preserving historic features when there's road building afoot makes me laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

One photo and small details about the tunnel here:

http://www.lucannewsletter.ie/localinterest/lucanbypass.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

The Gun Post in Shannon Co Clare.

There's an underground tunnel which was built during Worl War 2

I remember we used to go there as kids back in the 80s

It's only around 300 m long

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

One that really fascinates me, although perhaps a little morbid: There's an old graveyard known as Kilquane near a Cork town called Knockraha, where during the war of independence and later the civil war, the IRA used a secret underground vault as a sort of death row holding cell (in other words, if you were going to be shot by the local brigade, they'd lock you in there with all of the other 'condemned' until they were ready to do it). They called it "Sing Sing Prison".
    The vault is still there today, although it's been built around recently with new graves (where previously it was half hidden under some grass and set back a bit from the actual graveyard) so in my view it's not as spooky as it once was.

I've never actually been but I'd be very interested to go and see it at some stage.

What it looked like before the graveyard was extended

What it looks like now

Personally I always feel building up sites like that and making them more "official" tourist attractions (railings, plaques etc) sort of ruins them. The photos of what it originally looked like paint a much eerier picture than the more recent ones where it's been "museumised". But still definitely worth a look I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

One that really fascinates me, although perhaps a little morbid: There's an old graveyard known as Kilquane near a Cork town called Knockraha...

Looks way too sanitised and the railings smack of 'health & safety'.

Pics of a recent event there... slightly uncomfortable with lads playing 'dress up' bearing in mind the purpose it was used for.

http://irishvolunteers.org/2013/08/sing-sing-prison-knockraha-co-cork-august-25-2013/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

starn wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'am in the process of writting a piece on hidden Ireland. So far I've visited the CIE tunnell under the Pheonix Park and spent a charming day wondering Dublins sewers. But thats been pretty much it. So Im looking for help uncovering some more hidden gems. I've spent some time in the catacombs underneath both Paris and Rome. While obiously not expecting to find anything like that underneath Dublin. I some there must be more beneath it then just a train tunnell

In Dublin, Christchurch Cathedral has catacombs and do does St,Michan's, I think. Some of the Irish gentry houses had subterannean passages. There is one beneath Cullane House in Clare but it is bricked up now, I think. Watching this thread with interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

MarkR wrote: »
    Think they're filled in now, but there used to be pill boxes near shannon airport to cover the runway during ww2. Had / has a tunnel connecting two of them, was in them when I was younger.

There's still a bunker of some kind there. Two friends went to see it last year, I have not seen it myself yet so I can't describe it.

It's probably the Gun Post as mentioned previously, sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

lord lucan wrote: »
    It was destroyed when they began building the dual carraigeway,there's no trace of it left now.

That's a pity - you can trace where it starts from the OSI maps. Must travel over where it was every day as I pass the Spa Hotel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sorry, the idea of this country preserving historic features when there's road building afoot makes me laugh.

Building a dual carriageway over a fragile brick tunnel would have been well beyond affordable engineering in 1985 Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

There is a tunnel,maybe a few hundred metres long in the powerscourt estate in co Wicklow,many moons ago as a kid we camped up there with the scouts.havnt a clue what it was originally used for though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

Mount Elliot tunnel. Its significantly shorter than claimed there and was never, ever the longest in Europe.

Lissummon in NI is three times longer and also unused/explorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

MYOB wrote: »
    Mount Elliot tunnel. Its significantly shorter than claimed there and was never, ever the longest in Europe.

Lissummon in NI is three times longer and also unused/explorable.

was thinking the length claim was not accurate.

• Site Banned Posts: 263 ✭✭Rabelais

This is a wonderful thread. Genuinely. Funny and informative.

A tunnel underneath Thoor Ballylee castle near Gort. W. B. Yeats lived there during the Summer for a number of years. The orchard is the inspiration for many of his later poems. It's a tiny little patch of land that made him a Nobel Prize Poet.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

There is a tunnel,maybe a few hundred metres long in the powerscourt estate in co Wicklow,many moons ago as a kid we camped up there with the scouts.havnt a clue what it was originally used for though.

Yeah, walked passed it today, God knows why it was built there. Its just down on the Riverwalk and runs under the road.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement