Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Galaxy hard to start

• 29-03-2015 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi , I have a 2007 Galaxy , it's hard started in the mornings . I heat it 3 or 4 times and then it starts . It's generally ok then and starts no problem for the rest of the day . Has anyone else had this problem and what was the outcome .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Glow plugs usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Is the battery ok. Does it turn over the engine fast when the starter is engaged.
    Also could it be starved of fuel. Maybe a fuel hose drawing air somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The fact that the op heats it 3 or 4 times points to glow plugs though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

It should start with little or no heat in this weather, air getting in some where over night in the fuel system maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

A lot of modern diesels need little or no heat to start them. Ive heard of lads with 2 or 3 glow plugs gone and the car starting perfectly from cold.
    It would be easy to check or replace them and rule them out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

my older (03) fiesta got water in the plugs, apparently its a common problem, silicon sealant fixes it

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The fact that the op heats it 3 or 4 times points to glow plugs though?

i thought the same

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

vinnie13 wrote: »
    i thought the same

When you switch off the key and back on again you are priming up the fuel system from the pump in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

When you switch off the key and back on again you are priming up the fuel system from the pump in the tank.

it coule be air getting in,but usually if a diesel is hard started in the mornings 9/10 its glow plugs or power to them it would be my first step to check, after that i would be thinking air in the line.

i had a mid 90's pajero years ago that ended up with both glow plugs and air getting in the line

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

If it's a new shape Galaxy (being 07 it probably is) then it doesn't have a lift pump in the tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Aake

I've now discovered a very small Coolant leak , it's coming out at one of the screws of the cover underneath on the right hand side , it's not a constant drip drip . Any ideas before I get it pressure tested !

Advertisement