Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Every Country's Most Popular Beer

Options
  • 19-03-2015 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

small_world_map_of_beer.jpg

An awful lot on there that i haven't tried.

full size map

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I can't decide if the branding on China's snow beer is ridiculous or brilliant.

liaoning_specialty_and_snack5033d04a878b89b55039.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Very few non-lagers in there. Just ourselves and New Zealand?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BeerNut wrote: »

Yeah I was trying to spot any other than Guinness. Algeria have gone with a fruit based orange drink though. ;)

edit: Google tells me that Lion Red is a Lager-style beer?

BeerNut wrote: »

Is Lion Red not a lager?

I'd assume Heineken is very close to the top in Ireland too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I assume it's a New Zealand Draught style, which is very similar to Smithwick's and probably also technically a lager, depending how you define that.

Very few non-pale beers, then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I wonder how accurate it is, seems odd there is such variation. I wouldn't have thought carling would be the UK best seller, or tuborg in Denmark. I never saw snow beer in china, tsingtao was everywhere.
    irish_goat wrote: »
    I'd assume Heineken is very close to the top in Ireland too.
    I was surprised at this claim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Gold#Irish_retailing
    In the Irish canned beer market, Dutch Gold has a market share of between 11% and 14%, making it the nation's third most popular beer after Budweiser and Heineken
    I am guessing this was lagers and not including guinness. The quote is from 2006.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

rubadub wrote: »

I am guessing this was lagers and not including guinness. The quote is from 2006.

It does specify canned beer, I'd guess canned Guinness wouldn't be nearly as popular as draught.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jez, North America has no taste in beer, have they?;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Very surprised to see Carling as the no. 1 in South Africa. When I was there everywhere you went it was Castle, I don't recall ever seeing Carling. Similarly in Italy, I would have expected Peroni ahead of Moretti. And weirdly I've never even heard of the no. 1 brand in Germany, Oettinger. I know they've a huge choice of beers there, but I would have expected a better known brand like Becks or Warsteiner to be the best selling.

Zaph wrote: »
    And weirdly I've never even heard of the no. 1 brand in Germany, Oettinger. I know they've a huge choice of beers there, but I would have expected a better known brand like Becks or Warsteiner to be the best selling.

According to Wiki.
    Cheap beer
    Oettinger sells large amounts of beer for the lowest possible price. Oettinger bought the brewery producing "5,0 Original" beer in Braunschweig, a competitor in the same market segment. Oettinger is rarely found on tap in pubs and bars – most of it is sold bottled in supermarkets.

I've had their weiss and it's alright. Less than a €1 a bottle if I remember rightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭joe90

Lion Red is a very nice beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Map is a good idea, badly executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

What's the most anyone's tried? Have had 19 of them though a lot I only drank when young or on holidays when there was little other choice. Very few I'd drink by choice now.

Ryath wrote: »
    What's the most anyone's tried? Have had 19 of them though a lot I only drank when young or on holidays when there was little other choice. Very few I'd drink by choice now.

I've had about 36, wouldn't rush back to pretty much any of them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

im counting around 34 ... mostly muck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

irish_goat wrote: »
    According to Wiki.
    I've had their weiss and it's alright. Less than a €1 a bottle if I remember rightly.
    Öttinger costs way less than that. More like 30c per 500ml bottle when bought by the crate, and a little less again on a deal.

Öttinger costs way less than that. More like 30c per 500ml bottle when bought by the crate, and a little less again on a deal.

That can't be right. Surely if alcohol was sold so cheaply society as we know it would crumble to the ground?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Think I've had about 33 of them.

An interesting side map would be one with your owners of the beers (e.g diageo)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I've had 28. Out of those I'd say there's at most 5 I'd order in a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That can't be right. Surely if alcohol was sold so cheaply society as we know it would crumble to the ground?!

You can go to Lidl in Germany and pick up 6 500 ml Bottles of Beer for €1.20. The deposit on the plastic bottled is actually 25cent a bottle,so the bottle costs more than the beer. A bottle of vodka is €5 and a bottle of Prosecco is only €2(same one costs €10 in Lidl here).

However the Germans are allowed to drink in public(go to the English Garden in Munich on a hot Summer day and everyone is drinking). There is open end on Bars and drink are a lot cheaper than here. You dont see everyone getting wasted before they go to the Club, as a pint in the club is €3/3.5. Also you dont see everyone plastered on the street at 3 am when the clubs close(eg Temple Bar is a mess when all the clubs close at once), as Germans only go to the club at 1am and will probably leave at 6 am.

Our restrictive Alcohol laws havent resulted in responsible drinking. It has resulted in people leaving clubs at 3am to go to dodgy industrial estates to go to raves. Which are a disaster waiting to happen.

• Advertisement

I was being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Zaph wrote: »
    Very surprised to see Carling as the no. 1 in South Africa. When I was there everywhere you went it was Castle, I don't recall ever seeing Carling. Similarly in Italy, I would have expected Peroni ahead of Moretti. And weirdly I've never even heard of the no. 1 brand in Germany, Oettinger. I know they've a huge choice of beers there, but I would have expected a better known brand like Becks or Warsteiner to be the best selling.
    Carling Export is, I can attest, a ver popular beer among the ordinary black population across the region. It's cheaper and just more popular. That explains the popularity. See, a beer like Castle is associated with working-class and lower-middle-class white South Africans, and increasingly better-off blacks. Hansa would be a bit more up-market than those, definitely a much more aspirational brand, and their pilsner and marzen are pretty good.. Smaller populations, though, so that probably explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GusJackson

I am disappointed they didn't include Malawi. When I was there the only brand of beer they seemed to have was Carlsberg that had been brewed in Malawi - struck me as being completely wrong to not have their own locally named beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

So, what's the best beer on that map then?
    I haven't had them all but I'm going to go out on a limb and say Guinness?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I was convinced that I saw Pilsner Urquell on the map but I was sadly mistaken.

Failing that I'd probably go for Zlatý Bažant, which is quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Which one? I recall the regular lager as undrinkable(to me) but they seem to have a porter and bock that are well received.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Golden Pheasant. I've only had it a couple of times but quite enjoyed it, for a lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It does specify canned beer, I'd guess canned Guinness wouldn't be nearly as popular as draught.

or canned draught ....

All this shows is that a plurality is a poor measure when there's lots of choices. North America having some of the best beers is poorly represented by it's popular choices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

If there ever was proof needed that America and the UK are ****ed up nthere you have it.
    Swill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement